CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, July 2

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, July 2

Post by sturgess66 »

ispellit wrote:Here's my humble vid of the concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWAWLREX3A0
Thanks ispellit - I enjoyed that! The sound quality from your camera is great - and you capture the excitement from the audience with your video.
:)
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Ben levs video of First we take Manhatten was brilliant. Did not make it to Berlin this year but was right at the front last year and it brought back all the memories :D

I agree about Jarkko's photograph, that must be the one for the mosiac.

Less than 2 weeks to go for Dublin.

Cead Mile Failte Aris Leonard!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

by ispellit on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:38 pm
Here's my humble vid of the concert.
Really nice. Thank you.

Hartmut
Amrei

Post by Amrei »

@Adina

Of course, you can. I wanted to share the photos here, so everybody, who had not the chance to take any, can use them for your private memories as you please.
If you publish them, make a note that I took them and then this also is ok.

Do you want the whole photoshop file (~100 pics), then you will have them in much better quality and more to choose from? Send me a pm with your private e-mail address and I´ll send them to you.

TO EVERYBODY STILL WAITING FOR PHOTOS:

I've not forgotten you - but I am in Sweden on holidays with my family. I'll send the next bunch of pics as soon, as I´m back (saturday).

Amrei
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
Eva Maria

Post by Eva Maria »

It was a wonderful and memorable evening!

I’d been at the concert in Hamburg last year. And I thought it was my first, last, only Cohen concert.
I am very grateful I got another chance to see him live again.

There were so many people coming in and trying to find their seats during the concert. They were talking and trying to clap to the beat or singing very loud, applauding when they recognized a song or when they thought, it was over.
There also seemed to be many people not knowing how to turn of the flashes of their cameras.
First I thought it might spoil the whole concert.
But when the magic got me I didn’t notice any more.

There was this atmosphere of warmth.
He was in top shape, - and so was the band.
Once again I noticed that his voice is still good. And still sounds very erotic.

I was glad to hear chelsea hotel and sisters of mercy.

We were sitting in the 10th row, not even in the center, as I’d heard about the concert too late to get really good tickets.
When the encores startet it was possible to get closer to the stage. Of cause I used my chance and rushed closer to the stage.
I tried to take some pictures, but gave up soon, hoping I`d find better pics on the internet later. Thank you for sharing yours, Amrei!

Image Image
And then I forgot about everything. It was like there was only me and him and the other musicans.
He looked more beautiful than on the screens.
It was very touching to watch him so close. To see him taking of his hat while listening to the other musicans. To see his smile and his shining eyes when he was singing.

He was so sweet and caring, reminding us of the tricky weather and telling us to be careful not to touch a summer cold.
In the end of the concert he thanked everybody, including even the truck drivers. (I applauded, not knowing I’d be told I’m losing my bad job calling drivers asking whether they’re were they should be.)

It was wonderful the hear the lines „I hope you’re satisfied“ and „Here’s a man still working for your smile“ in the context of this concert.
I was satisfied and smiling.
He gave us so much.
I’m very grateful. I really love Leonard Cohen.
ispellit

Anecdote

Post by ispellit »

I told my mother about the Berlin Cohen Concert the other day and mentioned, that this old man's performing almost 3 hours instead of 1,5 or 2 hours like most other, even young artists do. Her reply was:"But doesn't he sing very slowly"?

I love Mum's dry humour.
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

I love your mum, too (well, at least her humor... ;-))

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

ispellit,

Your mum's comment has me rolling :lol: . She is precious!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
zvulun

Post by zvulun »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VXS8vAvdog

who by fire (when singing begins-without introduction) & chelsea hotel.
ispellit

Post by ispellit »

zvulun wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VXS8vAvdog

who by fire (when singing begins-without introduction) & chelsea hotel.
Thanks for sharing this vid!
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
zvulun

one more- dance me...

Post by zvulun »

roselynn

Post by roselynn »

Hi All, I came over from Edinburgh for the concert and loved it. I thought the audience were responsive and the atmosphere friendly and relaxed. Last time I saw him was Feburary in a small vinyard in Australia, so a very different vibe but I have to say apart from not hearing alexandra Leaving, my favourite song just now, I loved both venues.
To all fans living in Berlin..we had a fantastic few days in the city, saw the sights, had a few beers and found the city to be clean, friendly and with a public system that actually runs on time! Perfect for a short city break from Scotland.
Feel sad that maybe I will not see him again but will continue to take comfort and inspiration from the music that has been my companion now for too many years to count.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/v06J5Ff3 ... nard+Cohen

Just came across these pics of Leonard arriving at his hotel in Berlin. I don't even remember what I was initially searching for (this happens all the time! :roll: )

I like these. :D
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by ispellit »

Thanks for sharing the link, Mnkyface! Great pictures, indeed!
Matthew 7,3
maba

Post by maba »

have been in berlin on several concerts, but leo rocked them all!
about 3:30 h without stopping! marvelous! The dizzy vip-lounge was rocking...

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”