CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, July 2

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, July 2

Post by jarkko »

"Suzanne"
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
highw61

Berlin 2.7.2009

Post by highw61 »

Hi, I have posted some pics from Berlin show on my webgalerie:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/highw61/

enjoy it!

Paolo
AdinaCohen29

Post by AdinaCohen29 »

An excellent show! I've been there too.

I cannot agree with roving_gambler, imho Leonard was in top shape, or he ist a brilliant actor ;-)

The concert was amazing! Some of the audience was strange, in this I agree with brinberlin. But it doesn't harms us a lot.
The few people in our block, who clap hands in the middle of a song, because they thought it's the end.... who cares about.

Some parts, Leonard put in his songs gonna make me laugh like: '...And if you want another kind of love
I'll wear this old man mask for you...' or '....I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch I've told the truth, I didn't come to Berlin just to fool you ...' (oh, I know this jokes he will tell in every concert ;-) )

But the extraordinary situation, imho, was 'First we take Manhattan..' and the complete O2 finished '...than we take Berlin', was awesome.

All in all it was overwhelming,

- I laughed
- I was melancholic
- I fell in love for the rest of my life with this man and his music, more than even before
- and I was often crying during the whole concert, because of his charisma united with his music

This are my impressions of the evening with Leonard Cohen.

Best regards,
Adina
Last edited by AdinaCohen29 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tho' your promise count for nothing
You must keep it nonetheless...
Heart with no Companion (Various Positions, Leonard Cohen)
Caren

Post by Caren »

I am still overwhelmed with the memories of this concert.

We were priviledged sitting at third row middle and thus be spared the getting up by members of the audience and hassle reported in other posts.

I had to chose between taking anti pain meds against migraine and thus missing out on the concert or suffering the pain and seeing Leonard Cohen perform for one last time in Berlin.

I am glad I decided for the later. This was a brilliant concert and I will carry this with me for a long time to come. I haven't seen them since late last year and my impression was that the mood has changed. Last year they seemed to radiate the sheer joy of being on stage together. This year a more melancholic aura was upon them, as if they were aware that this was a saying goodbye tour. Still or maybe because of that this was a most touching experience. The music was excellent and at times I had to hold my breath for the sheer beauty of it. Everyone in that band is a master of his/her own. And Leonard is outstanding anyway.

There were smiles from the band to the audience and when saying goodbye Leonard looked at the audience as if taking in that picture for a last time, knowing he was not likely to return to Berlin. I had the impression he and the band appreciated the reception they received from the Berlin audience and at least the people around me and myself appreciated that night's performance.

Leonard thanked the audience with a buddhistic bow at least twice. which deeply touched me. In my humble opinion no one but Mr Leonard Cohen deserves that bow so I humbly return it to him. All good things to you Leonard and to all your marvellous friends on stage.

- Caren (edited to say thank you for the beautiful picture Jarkko. very much captures the moment.)
Last edited by Caren on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

"Blessings in your solitude" said Leonard according to this review:
Leonard Cohen
Das Glück liegt in der Wiederholung

Melancholischer Entertainer, betender Poet: Leonard Cohen zaubert intime Stimmung in die Berliner O2-World.

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/Leona ... 72,2839330
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Susy

Post by Susy »

Hi Jarkko ,thanks for such a beautiful photo, ( Suzanne - my name but writen in german with s ! ). The light coming down on Leonard .... so beautiful !Thanks to you ...I`m counting days till Aug. 3th. in Venice ! :D
Susy
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

jarkko wrote:Image
"Suzanne"
Your photo is so POWERFUL, I was moved to tears. An overwhelming composition with the four spotlights, how a propos for our very own High Priest. (There is that significant number 4 again).

I would like to take that shot to ... the pawn shop, I mean, the photo shop and see what they can do for me.

Thank you, Jarkko for posting it. A very talented family.
Last edited by bridger15 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The same photo in larger size is at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/berlin-02-big.jpg
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Actually

Post by Actually »

Fantastic picture, Jarkko!
It seems as if he's all alone in space; the only enlightened being striving against the blurry darkness...
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

An absolutely incredible photo. Thank you Jarkko and Eija. I love the band more than I ever thought I possibly could but for me, this photo says it all. This is how it began and this is how it will end.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
ispellit

Post by ispellit »

I absolutely second what you, Caren, wrote about the concert.

Having attended the Hamburg concert last year I now experienced a completely different audience that received Cohen with much much enthusiasm than the people in Hamburg did. The enthusiasm he deserves.

Yes, there were those people who started clapping before the song was ended and yes, there seemed to be a lot of people just waiting for Susanne and Bird on the wire and also those who were hysterically taking pictures. Sadly, you'll find them everywhere. Luckily, I had none of them sitting next to me. :?

The band was great and IMHO the stiff and unsmiling attitude of Cohen's lady singers was part of their performance. Was just the same in Hamburg.
The musicians were fabulous and so was Cohen. Smiling timidly, he seemed to be deeply touched by the way people were showing their love.

Admittedly, I've been crying during his encores, being aware of the fact that this might be the last time I saw him. Also, because I had this dream since I was 13. Once in my life I wanted to see THIS MAN live. Well, I did and he will never know how much his music and poems meant to me.

Leonard, I love you and I bow low to you.

Kerstin
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
andrea

Re: Berlin 2.7.2009

Post by andrea »

highw61 wrote:Hi, I have posted some pics from Berlin show on my webgalerie:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/highw61/

enjoy it!

Paolo

Grazie Paolo, thank you, very beautiful pics. I enjoyed them very much.
Andrea
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Jarkko,

this really is a once-in-a-lifetime photograph, so powerful that I will not ruin it by even trying to explain the effect it has for me! Thank you so much for sharing it!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
andrea

Post by andrea »

Thank you Eija and Jarkko for the beautiful photo, a special moment ...
Andrea

I was not in Berlin, but also in Koeln they had this lightning which I appreciated a lot
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I think we need to be careful not to read too much into facial expressions and the like. These are very professional performers, and there will not ever be a back-stage row. Leonard will choose the pieces to be performed, no doubt in consultation with Roscoe, and the band will then follow his instructions. To suggest an off-stage argument is ridiculous.

Leonard did not seem tired to me, but let us remember that this was one of those dates without a rest-day in between. Having been to six of his concerts in 2008, I was very pleased to hear Miracle (one of my favourites) for the first time.

I was sitting in the fourth row on the extreme left (stage right) and was not troubled by people walking up and down with food. In fact, I thought the Berlin crowd was especially warm. They came up to the front at the start of the first encore and stayed there, even though there were many songs still to sing. The audience was particularly warm during Closing Time, when we were all swaying together.

The only thing that I did find distracting was the number of flashes going off. Surely these people know that their puny flash isn't going to iluminate the stage, so they may as well switch it off?

I got home to England on Saturday to find the Weybridge tickets waiting for me. Excellent!
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”