CONCERT REPORT: Red Rocks, June 4

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Paula

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Red Rocks, June 4

Post by Paula »

Novabella - great post and meeting the Webb sisters family too :lol:

You have an incredible face it is very striking.

I think Red Rocks must be one of the most amazing venues of the whole tour nature in all its beauty, listening to Leonard Cohen who could ask for more places like the O2 cower in comparison.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Dear Roman,

If you happen to be reading this thread, please CHECK YOUR PM'S!!!!

Diana :-)
a.ephroni

Post by a.ephroni »

Ladydi, Lizzytysh, Novabella, and others,

Thank you all for such careful and loving accountings of the concert! I am relatively new to this forum (since February), and in fact this is the first forum I've ever joined, so I think I am just barely catching onto normal forum etiquette--like introducing yourself. So... here I am. :oops:

I was at the Red Rocks concert (my second show, the first being Columbia MD)... it is a little sad to me to realize I was sitting only a few seats (row 5, seat 36) behind so many of you, not knowing that, or getting a chance to meet some of these "voices" that have suddenly become a pretty big part of my life in recent months. I have been a huge LC fan since 1991 (I was 18 when I first heard Suzanne, and things developed from there :) ), and in fact I stumbled on this forum several years ago while trying to find out if LC would ever be in concert again. At the time I was pretty much a techniphobe, so I didn't join... but in any case, it has been really wonderful to read writings from all of you over the past several months that have echoed and resonated with the incredible reverence and adoration I have felt for LC's music, and how it has become sort of the scripture that I live with. I'm sorry that I haven't introduced myself, because I have been getting a lot of vicarious energy from the obviously caring community that you all have.

So... better late than never, I hope... hello. :) And thanks.
Annette
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Oh Annette,

To know you were so close and we didn't get a chance to meet is horrible! I was also at Columbia - two missed opportunities. You were only 3 rows directly behind us! We even wore name tags just in case there were other forum members around that would notice them and give us the chance to connect. The venue is so vast and sprawling. I'm sure there were other members there also besides yourself that ran into the same situation :cry: . If only Kelsey, who offered her pregnant tummy to act as our 'balloon', had been able to stay for the concert, perhaps you would have spotted us ;-) :lol: . If we are blessed with a return of the tour to North America, we definitely need to make firmer plans in order to enable all of us to have the pleasure of each other's company.

A number of us were in the same shoes as you - techniphobes, first time joining anything on the internet (and still learning, may I add - I didn't know I had to introduce myself and never did - just jumped right in :oops: ), but as you have probably discovered, this is such a wonderful place to be - all of us sharing our love and admiration for Leonard Cohen's bounty of work. It is so nice to have you here.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
a.ephroni

Post by a.ephroni »

Hi, Mary!
Thank you so very much for the warm welcome! I am very grateful indeed to have found this sincere, devoted group of folks...
And yes, if we get another North American chance, I very much want to meet people in person! Very cool that you were at both the Merriweather and the Red Rocks shows, though! I loved them both in their subtle and not-so-subtle differences!

Thanks also for assuaging my fears about etiquette. :)
A
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Good morning Annette,

I will be mirroring much of what Mary has said. A very warm welcome to the Forum! It is a wonderful place to share information and feelings with other fans of Leonard....sometimes it's serious, sometimes whimsical, sometimes just fun! If you haven't done so yet, do check out the leonardcohenfiles.com and speakingcohen.com (Marie's wonderful website). They are a wealth of information about ANYTHING concerning Leonard! Both can be accessed by either clicking on the links at the top of the Forum or going to them directly.

Row 5! So close and yet so far :( Several times prior to the concert and at intermission I stood up and was scanning the crowd. Probably looked right at you! You might remember 2 very "into-the-moment" women in Row 2 (later in Row 1) who did a lot of movin' to the music ;-) . Those were Mary and Lizzy :D :D I was to the right of Mary but we all were on our feet after each and every song! :D What a moving and beautiful concert!

Let's keep our fingers crossed for a few fall concerts in the US. I know that I will try to make as many as possible! It will be wonderful to meet up with you then!

Take care and all the best,
Diana
a.ephroni

Post by a.ephroni »

Hi, Diana--

Yes, now I know exactly who Mary and Lizzy are, from your description. :) I was so happy that the crowd was so enthusiastic; I loved standing Os after every song! That was a particularity of the Red Rocks audience that was especially sweet.

Thanks for all the information. I've been looking at the files website for several months, but I haven't actually been to Speaking Cohen yet, so I will.

Joy to you,
Annette
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Anyone know anything about the Red Rocks pool that Dino is talking about on his twitter page that he did not win :? ?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Mary,

I know, I'm curious too! I did respond to him on Twitter so we'll see if we get an answer.

Diana
mutti

Post by mutti »

I was wondering about that too...
a contest?
Hi Mary and Hi Diana!
I would find it interesting to know how many people had to leave Red Rocks and were not able to attend
on the 4th...no way to find out I think unless Ticketmaster released that info...just interested..
Have a good day...
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Dino's previous tweet:

Band end of north America party is fun. We got a pool about how much it will be. Mines the highest
6:46 PM Jun 1st from web

Marie
Marie
Speaking Cohen
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Marie to the rescue! Thank you SO much for satisfying our curiousity! Actually, as soon as I read your response I remembered reading his comment on Twitter but of course, then promptly forgot it :roll:

Thanks again!
Diana
Existentialist

After Red Rocks

Post by Existentialist »

Sorry for taking so long to post these. I am sort of ashamed of the quality of the photos, they look much better in the original size but still not great. Seeing as this was the first concert I’ve ever photographed they aren’t that bad for snap shot quality. I wish I could have taken my time and done a better job

So for those of you that missed the Red Rocks concert on June 4th, 2009 go to

http://www.flickr.com/photos/exis-tenti ... 8497/show/

for a slide show of Red Rocks Concert photos.

I hope you enjoy these half as much as I enjoyed the concert (simply the best concert I’ve ever been to) and Roman it was a pleasure meeting you in the line to get in.
I will leave these up for a couple of weeks.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Existentialist,
You have nothing to be ashamed of! Your slide show captured the joyous mood of one of my top favorite concerts. There are some really amazing shots! I greatly enjoyed the trip back through your photos. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Warmest regards,
Mary
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

What do you say folks, can we bring this little video up to 2000 views before the concert's anniversary? It's at 1981 views right now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfP1LLfOaDk
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”