CONCERT REPORT: Red Rocks, June 4

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
watermandala

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Red Rocks, June 4

Post by watermandala »

Here are a few photos from Red Rocks:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G3 ... directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p7 ... directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uf ... directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3x ... directlink

I also posted some videos on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1EHF3A-Rms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmG8VZu5wms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akt9m_kU00Y

I wish that everyone could have stayed. It was an incredible experience.

I will write a review when I have more time - still getting caught up with everything after the extended time away last week.

M
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

watermandala wrote:Here are a few photos from Red Rocks:
I also posted some videos on YouTube:
Absolutely Fantastic - all of them! The effects of the changing lighting on the natural rock formations were unbelievable. M A G I C A L. Thank you so much for posting these. I look forward to your concert report and more of these incredible photos.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Wonderful pictures. Thank you so much watermandala! Just curious what row/seat you took them from? I would have been in row 2, seat 34, and it seems like that would have been very close to my angle! Aaargh, can't believe I couldn't stay... :cry:
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Kelsey,

Did you see the three people jumping up and down in the front on the 'Closing Time' video. You would have been the middle one. So wish you could have been there :cry: . Our time with you was cut too short :cry: :cry: :cry: .

watermandela,

I cannot express how much I appreciate your beautiful photos and fantastic videos. Were you the hat guys seated behind us a little closer to the center?

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
novabella

Post by novabella »

First, let me start out by saying that I am not much of a writer. This did get rather long. I had to force myself to write it because I know some of you that were not able to come really wanted reviews... Sorry for the delay in my personal concert report but my vacation continued to Austin, Texas for 3 more days after the show on June 4th and I just now got home.

I have been a Leonard Cohen fan since 1996. The first time I heard him was on a friend's answering machine greeting which had 'Who By Fire' playing as the greeting. "And who shall I say is calling?" Get it? Anyway, I instantly fell in love and asked said friend to hear more. I've been listening ever since. I've periodically spent time on the internet researching stuff about Leonard Cohen and his music. I even fantasized about attending the Hydra event in 2002 to meet other fans which I just knew would be amazing. I never thought I would get to see him live since at that point he hadn't toured in years. I remember watching videos of performances of his and just being so mesmerized. I could not get enough and seriously would watch them over and over. The one that's coming to mind right now is a video recording of a live version of "Ain't No Cure For Love". I could not believe the perfection.

He came through San Diego in April and I scored front row dead center tickets from a high priced scalper which I gladly paid for. I wanted to be as close as possible with no distractions in front of me. I think this has been discussed by other fans on this board so I think some of you will understand. I had an amazing time and even though the show was over three hours long, I hung onto every song and was still hungry for more. Side note, my girlfriend and I did not want to miss any of the second half and the women's restroom line was incredibly long during intermission. We ducked into the men's room so as not to miss any of it! OK, we were desperate. After the show, I started researching to see if there were any other dates I could catch to see him again. Since I am a childbirth coach, and I had an (overdue) pregnant client and more coming due in May, I could not travel to see any other shows without possibly missing a birth. Red Rocks in June was the only logical answer!

My boyfriend and I started planning a trip together centered around a June 2nd concert in Denver. Actually, we have a Leonard Cohen connection too. On one of our first dates, I decided to play a song for him after dinner. "Dance Me To The End Of Love", one of my favorites. He hadn't heard of Leonard Cohen but said that he knew that song because it was by one of his favorites, Madeleine Peyroux. Hear her version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORe5v2Z1rE I told him Leonard sung the original and that there were over 1700 covers of his songs out there. We ended up seeing Madeleine Peyroux in Los Angeles in March of this year and, of course, she did sing this song live. Really beautiful. So back to the vacation. It was a tightly scheduled trip from San Diego with a 24 hour stop in Denver for the Red Rocks show (noon to noon from June 2nd to June 3rd) and then on to Austin, Texas for 5 days. I was just ecstatic about the idea of seeing him at Red Rocks and to see the final show of the North American tour. Being from San Diego, I don't have to think a whole lot about weather. I did know that Red Rocks was an outdoor venue but also was certain that there was no chance of the show being cancelled since my tickets said "8pm Rain or Shine". I checked the weather every day for a week leading up to June 2nd. I was resolved that I might be sitting in the rain but that the show, without a doubt, would go on! We arrived in Denver at noon and it was as I was picking up the rental car I received an email stating that the show would be postponed til Thursday instead. I won't go into all the emotional details here. Long story short, we are so lucky that we were able to rework everything to stay in Denver and rearrange other plans. Big thanks to Southwest Airlines who changed our tickets for a minimal ten bucks a piece.
OK, so June 4th finally arrives. We survive the 48 hour delay with lots of yoga, cuddling and good food. We arrived at Red Rocks at 4ish after checking the weather a million times throughout the day. As of Tuesday (the 2nd) the outlook for the 4th had been sunny and in the 70's. By Thursday, the forecast was predicting possible rain, lightning storms and even some were predicting possible tornado touchdowns! Seriously foreign to a San Diegan! Weather does not change much day to day here! But alas, the afternoon and evening were absolutely perfect. I had so much energy in the afternoon at Red Rocks. I was dying with anticipation and excitement. I was checking this message board while I was there hoping to get some information as to how to get in earlier than they were allowing (6:30pm). Someone on here posted that there was a soundcheck going on at that moment which could not be heard from 'outside the rocks' in the parking lot. One of the security guards suggested that if it was in fact going on, I might be able to hear it from the back of the venue. We ran all the way up the back of the mountain on the other side of ship rock and still could hear nothing. I know some of you could see it on the Red Rocks webcam. After heading back down the mountain, I tried to calm myself down to save some energy to last me the whole night. I was so excited, yet still soooo nervous something bad was going to happen with the weather. I had hardly eaten anything all day. I forced myself to sit in the back of the rental car and eat the salad I had packed for our little Red Rocks picnic. Just then I noticed the minivan next to our car. The backseat sliding door was open with a briefcase sitting right on the ledge. The briefcase had the name "Xxxxxx Webb" taped on it in large writing. I don't want to mention the first name due to possible privacy reasons. I asked the man standing by the van, "Would you by any chance happen to know the Webb sisters?" He seemed startled & perplexed and asked me why I would think to ask such a question. I pointed to the briefcase and he proudly told me he was their father. He proceeded to introduce himself and went on about how proud he was of his two daughters and also his son that is a drummer. He shared stories and some of the Webb sisters memorabilia with us. He managed to come to Red Rocks from Europe for the show. He was also kind enough to alert us that the Webb sisters would be coming out from backstage down to his car and that we were welcome to meet them. They were kind enough to take a photo with us which I will attach to this post. I got to return the favor by taking some photos of the Webb family with their camera (including the sisters) and their friends from Aspen posing against the Red Rocks. Hey, they are tourists too, right? Also, the Webb sisters both expressed how they hoped that the rescheduling hadn't caused us too much inconvenience. What a sweet thing to say to us, as we had mentioned we had traveled for the show. I did tell their father that we were some of the fortunate that were able to stay and that there were many, many fans who were not.
Shortly after this, we went inside the venue and took our seats. Third row, just a bit left of center. Ticketmaster had released some 2nd row seats which were available as of 4pm (which may have been some of yours :( ) but we opted to stick with the 3rd row. The show was so worth the wait. I am not a sound/audio connoisseur so I can't really speak about whether or not it sounded that much better than San Diego's show at Copley Symphony Hall. I just know that it had an incredible feel to it. Nearly two months had gone by since I had seen him. I was imagining how tired he must be at the end of this North American tour. He did not show it one bit. Lots of energy from the whole band. I could not take my eyes off the show. Just magnificent and really indescribable. Just after intermission, the wind kicked up and the temperature seemed to drop about 10 degrees. This was during "Hallelujah". Some others on this board have described it. Again, not being used to much weather, it almost seemed like special effects from a movie. It was just beautiful to actually see the wind in action. Then again, it just made sense that this would happen around all the elements of Red Rocks. Of course, there was nearly a full moon too. Some of you watching the webcam said you could see lightning and I had posted that that was incorrect. I realized that you all were seeing camera flashes from the audience. So, no lightning and minimal weather. It was just a perfect night.

I can't tell you how many times I thought of those of you that missed the show that were supposed to be there on the 2nd. I was so sad to read some of the stories here on the board from those of you who's efforts were thwarted. I hope that there will be another chance, somehow somewhere.

I'm including a link to the one video I took with my camera (illegally :shock: ) which I was barely able to take due to being totally overcome. Here is my video of Closing Time which includes Leonard skipping off the stage, then back on, of course! Also at the end, I taped the Red Rocks crowd and you can see how much adoration there is for such an amazing performer... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3jGYQuRsLc

To the Lovers... I wish I could have met some of you before or after the show. I wish I had been more active on the board prior to the show. Best wishes to all of you...

P.S. I heard there were 5 tornado touchdowns in Denver Sunday night, just a few days after the show! :shock:
Attachments
With the Webb sisters
With the Webb sisters
Red Rocks on the shoes!
Red Rocks on the shoes!
Me at the top of mountain behind Red Rocks venue, trying to hear sound check!
Me at the top of mountain behind Red Rocks venue, trying to hear sound check!
Last edited by novabella on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
San Diego- April 7th, 2009, Red Rocks- June 4nd, 2009, Las Vegas- November 12th, 2009, San Jose- November 13th, 2009
novabella

Post by novabella »

Three more photos from my previous post.
Attachments
Dance Me To The End Of Love, 2
Dance Me To The End Of Love, 2
IMG_0988.jpg (51.18 KiB) Viewed 12042 times
Dance Me To The End Of Love, 1
Dance Me To The End Of Love, 1
IMG_0987.jpg (48.12 KiB) Viewed 12050 times
Me and my boyfriend at our seats, just before the show started
Me and my boyfriend at our seats, just before the show started
IMG_0984.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 12051 times
Last edited by novabella on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
San Diego- April 7th, 2009, Red Rocks- June 4nd, 2009, Las Vegas- November 12th, 2009, San Jose- November 13th, 2009
novabella

Post by novabella »

Three more photos...
Attachments
This doesn't happen in San Diego!  Hahaha...
This doesn't happen in San Diego! Hahaha...
IMG_0985.jpg (55.18 KiB) Viewed 12049 times
Not sure what song this is from...  10:03pm
Not sure what song this is from... 10:03pm
IMG_0990.jpg (45.37 KiB) Viewed 12046 times
Not sure what song this is from... 9:47pm
Not sure what song this is from... 9:47pm
IMG_0989.jpg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 12047 times
Darling

Post by Darling »

What a beautiful place! It must have been magic indeed. Thanks for the picture and links.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

So many miles away and I still cry when Leonard speaks this poem-song, A Thousand Kisses Deep.

"But you look good, you really do" is spoken with such bittersweet poignancy that my eyes and heart spontaneously tear.

Thank you for these videos, watermandala.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

novabella wrote: He came through San Diego in April and I scored front row dead center tickets...I wanted to be as close as possible with no distractions in front of me. I think this has been discussed by other fans on this board so I think some of you will understand.
In San Diego at the Copley, I also sat in the front row center section, on the aisle in front of Sharon Robinson with a clear view of the Maestro. I was wearing black, de rigueur, a "woman of a certain age" with a cane. Towards the end of the concert, some of the fans rushed up to the stage and blocked my view. I jabbed them with my cane to get out of my sightline. They kindly crouched down. Yes, I definitely understand.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Thank you all so much for your reviews, photos and clips! :D I hadn't listened to any Cohen since missing the concert - too painfully bittersweet. But, I think I might be able to ease back in now. My dear hubby felt so terrible that I couldn't stay for the delayed show. He's already said that when (not if!) any new concerts are announced in North America this fall, we'll all travel together this time, so I can be there. And that's saying a lot, for those who have flown with a 2 1/2 year old and a new baby!

Mary - Our time was far, far too short. What a pleasure it was to meet each and everyone of our little group. Such charming, unique, interesting souls, every one. Despite not seeing the concert - the trip was worthwhile just to spend a bit of time with you all! And even with life's craziness at the moment, I'll check into the board from time to time and let you all know when our new little one arrives. So much to do at the moment, it's probably a good thing I don't have another concert to think (obsess) about!

Best wishes,
Kelsey
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

bridger15 wrote:In San Diego at the Copley, I also sat in the front row center section with a clear view of the Maestro. I was wearing black, de rigueur, a "woman of a certain age" with a cane. Towards the end of the concert, some of the fans rushed up to the stage and blocked my view. I jabbed them with my cane to get out of my sightline. They kindly crouched down. Yes, I definitely understand.

Good for you Arlene! It is so extremely difficult to score those primo seats and to have anyone come forward and block your view can be very annoying. I wish I had been there to witness you actions :lol: .

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

brighnow!

what can one say only fair play to you the sound is perfect the build up unreal, looking at it wished I was part of it ----- But have to wait my turn till he and them come back here in July for four concerts ,the only thing about that is, with the "whiplash " culture that has being created in Ireland (by the jury system,civil litigationetc...) the insurance for gigs is so so so expensive that his concerts are the dearest in Europe. Whatever we are all keeping his songs an lyrics alive by wanting a part of him by want him to be a part of us ,long may he be able to do his magic...

G.
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Novabella ~

Thanks for your GREAT account and photos of your time at Red Rocks. The area really lends itself to great photography, doesn't it? I love the close-up of your face with the jutting Red Rock cliff behind you, both at the same angle. So dramatic 8) ... and your beauty is very strong and compelling; as is that of Red Rocks, which makes that photo even better. I LOVED reading your account... and your informal meet-up with the Webb Family was so unexpected and precious. The hemp ice cream was a serious temptation for me... a "just because" thing... but gouge-pricing was out of the question for me by that point, novelty or not. It sure looks like you took home some amazingly precious memories from your time there. Thank you so much for sharing some of them with us. I really wish we'd gotten a chance to meet.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi everyone,

So many of my own thoughts and feelings have already been exquistely presented by others. Thank you SO much to Novabella and Pomona for sharing your experiences and bringing back the magic of that evening!

My friend and I were some of the fortunate ones as we were already on vacation in Colorado. Even though we had driven through the rain and snowshowers from Estes Park on the 2nd, I was fully prepared to pile on the clothes for warmth and cover up in a rain poncho. We were 20 minutes out of Denver when I got the phone call re the cancellation. At first there were the tears and the empty feeling in the pit of the stomach, but we decided to continue to the hotel in Golden and talk with some of the others. I'm so glad we did as I had the opportunity to briefly meet Greg from Australia, and was able to spend a little time with wonderful Kelsey! Mary and I almost had to toss a coin to see which one of us would wake up Lizzy to tell her the news.........er, I lost. After the initial devastation :cry: ...and our little group pretty much taking over the one computer in the lobby...plans started to come together. Our decision to return was easy. Gradually others made the decision to stay....or knew that they had to leave, either for children, family, or to continue trip plans. It was very hard to say goodbye to those we knew wanted stay (especially Kelsey). But we headed back north to Estes and returned on the 4th.

As Novabella mentioned, initially the weather reports for Thursday were mostly sunny and temps in the 80's! However, these were the rockies and things change quickly in the mountains. Every time the sun appeared on the 4th I was ecstatic...every time a shower passed over the empty stomach feeling hit again. Checked in at the hotel and we had an early dinner in Morrison with Lizzy, Denise and Bonnie. How wonderful to be with everyone, even though I think my friend Dave was a little overwhelmed by 4 "LC women"! ;-)

Arrived at Red Rocks early and started filing in at 630pm. "Any cameras?" "No"....meanwhile crossing my fingers that my G9 was safely buried in my Beacon bag between towels and t-shirts (gorgeous t-shirts provided by Greg from Australia!!!!). On the upper level I spotted Roscoe Beck and went over to talk with him for awhile. Then down to our wonderful seats in Row 2, right across from Javier and Dino, and surrounded by so many wonderful friends, including Roman from Denver, and Lori (Pomona) from Boston who was sitting right next to Dave!

The concert. Simple words at times cannot express the depth of emotions. This was only my 5th Leonard Cohen concert but because of the combination of circumstances it was undoubtedly the best, although having said that, to surpass the Beacon, Phoenix and Detroit it would have to be outstanding! The lighting was amazing, bathing not only the stage in all shades and hues, but illuminating the jagged rocks behind the stage and playing off all the rough and rounded edges! The sound quality as always was perfection! But something inexplicable happened to make this moment in time transcendent. The words....the music.....they seemed to soar in the open air. Everyone on stage was giving not only their best, but 200%. The audience, in return, matched that intensity and the coming together of the two was electric. I think all who were present, whether on stage or in the amphitheatre, felt it.

Later, as others have mentioned, the wind picked up and the temperature dropped, but the swirls and eddies of the wind now created an almost mystical atmosphere. The smoky haze from the lights curled and swooped and caressed, then suddenly the air cleared completely, then the breeze returned bathing the stage in constanly moving colors...reds, blues, golds....all moving gently in and around Leonard and the others.

I was so happy to have "Closing Time" back! Novabella's video perfectly captures the incredible energy that Leonard has! After over 3 hours he was still fresh and with the energy of a 20 year old! Then her camera pans the crowd and you see the adulation of the fans!

Leonard was very animated...talked a little more than usual...seemed to punctuate certain words and phrases in songs moreso than at other concerts....and added a couple of extra chuckles I think (take note mnkyface :D )!

The tears always come during "A Thousand Kisses"....there were more by "If It Be Your Will".....and when it came to "Whither Thou Goest" with everyone on stage perhaps (hope not, but we never know) for the last time in the US, I was a goner! Snuffling so much that I almost missed the "priestly blessings"......

As we were all shouting "thank you, thank you" to everyone on stage I realized what a wonderful experience and wonderful blessing this has been to be with Leonard through these 5 concerts since last October. Also what a wonderful blessing it has been to have made the acquaintance of several people over this past year who I now feel are friends, and how fortunate we are to have this awesome Forum to share our experiences and thoughts!

Thank you Leonard for having touched my life....forever.

All the best,
Diana

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”