CONCERT REPORT: Red Rocks, June 4

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
anneporter

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Red Rocks, June 4

Post by anneporter »

PanCogito wrote:It goes like this (Red Rocks Blessings):
1. The weather is kind of tricky, SO DON”T CATCH A COLD inside and out
2. And I know is tricky and even hellish, SO BE KIND
3. And MAY YOU BE SURROUNDED BY FRIENDS AND FAMILY
4. And if this is not your lot MAY THE BLESSINGS FIND YOU IN YOUR SOLITUDE
5. THANK YOU FRIENDS, THANK YOU

Roman
Those are the best 4 blessings I've seen yet. I agree, we should have a thread just for the blessings.
They also fit the Buddhist lovingkindness or metta meditation structure... I will use these...

Thank you.
bridger15

Re: Four Priestly Blessings

Post by bridger15 »

Leonard's Four Priestly Blessings I quoted actually took place at the Oakland concert. Thanks again to mirka for posting the youtube clip in the thread, “Leonard and Band Take a Bow”. Oakland Paramount, April 14, 2009 (1:44)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0yY7MahhOI
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Did LC spoke between songs, anything re: postponing the show or Democracy (which was back to setlist as it was June 4th, I believe).
AliceH

Post by AliceH »

I couldn't quote it, but toward the beginning of the show he apologized for having to delay the show, to much laughter. Hopefully someone here will be able to tell you exactly what and when he said.

I'm really curious as to what Cohen and gang did for two days while stuck in rainy Denver. Some of the more fun things to do here are ruled out by inclement weather.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

This is Leonard Cohen's blessing at the end of the Philadelphia show, 5-12-09:

"I don't know when we'll be back this way again, so until then, take care friends, and the weather's kind of tricky out there, so don't catch a cold. If you've got to fall, try to fall on the side of luck. And may you be surrounded by your friends and family. And, if this is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude. Thank you so much for your warmth and hospitality. We deeply appreciate it. Good night, friends."

I included it in my video description under "More Info"

here -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSD8v-TXiis
and here -
http://www.vimeo.com/4628762
Chicano

Post by Chicano »

Friends,

What an amazing show! Being outdoors vs. interior made for a different concert. The crowd was gracious, lively, and expressed their love and appreciation to Mr. Cohen and the band by giving numerous standing ovations. The standard set never sounded better, he did "chuckle" in more songs. Very cool.

Overall, I found this performance to be the strongest; Mr. Cohen sang with real gusto, energy, and passion. Of course, the singers and band were in top form. I have not heard "Sisters of Mercy", so that was a real pleasure.

Plus, I think the lyrics for the second half of "Bird on a Wire" were completely different. He's known to do that, but I can't say for sure, given that I was transfixed and in awe. Did that happen, or is my mind playing tricks on me? Can anyone comment on that point?

I stayed in downtown Denver and had to kill some time, having arrived Tuesday morning. As a Dad with a three year old, I filled my time with something I never get to do - see a movie! On Tuesday night, I saw "Drag Me To Hell (very good), and I am 95% sure the guy behind me at the popcorn stand was the tour lighting engineer. The guy was wearing a fadora, hipster shoes, it had to be him.

Thank you Leonard Cohen, you made the first half of 2009 one of my most memorable.
4/7 San Diego; 4/10 Los Angeles; 4/13, 4/14, 41/15 Oakland; 6/4 Red Rocks
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

@ Bridger:

I'm not the only chronicler around here, Marie does an amazing job on her Speaking Cohen website (http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen/main.htm).
About your idea: I -at one point- wanted to make a list of all the people mr. Cohen dedicated a concert to, there are actually quite a few out there, but my days don't count 28hrs or so, which means I just can't find time to collect all of them, especially because I got the idea when the tour was already half way... I would need to flea out a lot of posts to find this info... The same with your idea of The Four Priestly Blessings... But if you start a thread, I would love to fit them all into one document one day...

Take care,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Maarten wrote:@ Bridger:

I'm not the only chronicler around here, Marie does an amazing job on her Speaking Cohen website (http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen/main.htm).
About your idea: I -at one point- wanted to make a list of all the people mr. Cohen dedicated a concert to, there are actually quite a few out there, but my days don't count 28hrs or so, which means I just can't find time to collect all of them, especially because I got the idea when the tour was already half way... I would need to flea out a lot of posts to find this info... The same with your idea of The Four Priestly Blessings... But if you start a thread, I would love to fit them all into one document one day...

Take care,
Maarten
1/ My apologies to the other wonderful people who make the time and effort to keep a historical record of Leonard Cohen's endeavours. I am a relative newcomer to this Forum and still not familiar with all its aspects, including links. I have a LOT to learn.

2/ As for volunteering to start a thread about the Four Priestly Blessings - First, I would like to consult with some of you more experienced experts about things like an "objective". As you know, there is a lot of interest in the unified intertwining hearts. the outspread hands and the Hebrew letter representing the name of G-d, Shaddai, in between the hands . These are all related to the Priestly Blessings.

If you or Marie or other experienced chroniclers have any suggestions for me, I really would appreciate it. Please feel free to send me a PM or email and I will send you my direct email. I check my emails often.
Last edited by bridger15 on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Maarten, thanks so much for the recognition. It is very kind of you and much appreciated.

Bridger, if you or anyone else would be interested in collecting some of Leonard's blessings in a thread, I think that would be a wonderful idea. I have been trying to organze all the youtubes from all the concerts. So, one way to collect some of the blessings would be to go to each section I have for each concert and see if there are any youtubes from the final moments of the concert. Then the blessing could be transcribed from there.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Pomona

Post by Pomona »

This is not a report, per se, but an attempt to briefly convey the mystical sensory experience at Red Rocks on June 4th.
It is dedicated to the original owner of Seat #28, Row 2 – the person who planned their life around seeing Leonard on June 2nd but, tragically, couldn’t stay for the show on the 4th. I hadn’t planned to go to Red Rocks & didn’t buy a ticket until noon on the 3rd, when Seat 28 in Row 2 became available. Due to the circumstances, snagging this ticket was bittersweet, and even though I don’t know who you are, I was thinking of you at the concert.

During the 2nd half, a magically surreal mist swept in, charging the performance with an otherworldly urgency. The mist, amplified by the stage lighting, swirled wildly around Leonard in tornado-speed spirals before shooting straight up & disappearing out of the lights’ grasp. It happened time & time again. The effect was powerful to the point of being mesmerizing, as though Leonard, himself, were a temporary loan from the heavens, destined to disappear with the swirling mist at any moment.

Comparing this show with the performance at the Beacon in February, I'd say Leonard was much looser at Red Rocks. I'm not saying that made it a better concert; it's just an observation. His rendition of I'm Your Man was more animated than I've ever seen before. He got jiggy with it.

I met a number of Forum members out there: Lizzytysh & Ladydi were staying at my hotel & were also in the 2nd row, as was Chicano. I had the good fortune of running into Jackson Melnik, (and his mom) having previously met him at the Beacon, as he scored his Beacon tickets from the same person who sold me mine - Don - from Ottawa.

It was the pleasure & priviledge of my life to be able to watch Leonard start & finish the North American Tour.
Last edited by Pomona on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 4 1985 Berklee Boston / Feb 19 2009 Beacon NYC / May 29 2009 Wang Boston / June 4 2009 Red Rocks / Dec 15 2012 Wang Boston
a.ephroni

Post by a.ephroni »

Chicano,

You asked about the lyrics for Bird on a Wire. Tom Sakic does a great job of chronicling their evolution here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11928

I was really interested in this variation, too. I took my dad, who's a Christian minister (believing in original sin and salvation), to this concert, and he was particularly moved by that line... which was neat--to see him spiritually moved by what spiritually moves me, which are often not identical--and L.C.'s music being the best articulation I've ever heard of my own spiritual longings.

Anyway, I'm glad you got to stay for the concert! I am mom to a 2-year-old, so I can relate to the preciousness of some time to yourself. :)

Peace,
Annette
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain »

It really was a special show. I am sorry for everyone who was not able to attend. I actually headed back home to Utah after I heard it was postponed (I needed to work). I was at the restaurant at 4:00 for the meet up, wondering where everyone was when I found out, so I began the long drive home. I was two hours outside of Denver when a friend called and said she could make the postponed show, so I turned around! I am so glad I turned around. It was a lot of driving but so worth the extra effort. I was worried about work, but I really did not need to worry. That show was actually better than The Beacon. It was so lovely, the setting, the crowd, so appreciative and Leonard was glowing. I hope everyone who took pictures, of all of us up in the front will share those pictures with me! It was so nice to meet everyone. I just cried and cried, especially during the first set. It was a magical experience, and Red Rocks is a sacred spot. The Cohenites are one of a kind. It all comes together beyond the imagination. It was like a dream. Thank you, everyone, so much for the extraordinary experience!

Denise
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Does anyone have pictures they could post? For those of us who had to return home, it would be a real treat to see what we would have seen, had we been able to stay! And more concert reports? We're living vicariously through your experiences. Waiting patiently, as this board teaches us to do... :D

Kelsey
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
mutti

Post by mutti »

Does anyone know if Leonard or anyone said anything at the show about having to postpone the June 2 concert.
I agree that for those of us who could not make the show or who went and had to leave
I for one am loving hearing about the show and living vicariously thru all of you...

and of course waiting...patiently...waiting for a miracle
for new fall concert date announcements...
thanks
Mutti
haven't been on line for 2 days and so glad to be back on..
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
a.ephroni

Post by a.ephroni »

Mutti,

Yes, Leonard did say something about the postponed concert. I will fail to get this exactly right, but it was something like, "Thank you for being here, even with the delay. I hope it wasn't too much of an inconvenience..." It was in context of talking about having performed at Red Rocks 15 or 16 years ago, and expressing his appreciation of the amazing weather the night of the (rescheduled) concert.

I am sorry I do not have it verbatim!
One of the things I was grieving about when I thought I would not be able to change my plans to make it on the 4th was that not only would so many people miss the chance to be there, but also that perhaps that would mean a half-full audience for L.C.'s last North American concert on the tour. That sounded so sad, given the adoration we all feel for him! So I was truly grateful not only to find I could reschedule my trip, but also that somehow the amphitheater was still full! I am so sorry you weren't able to be there!

Denise (Box_of_Rain),
I actually headed back home to Utah
Where in Utah are you from?? I live in Salt Lake...

Peace, all,

Annette

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”