javier mas

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
carol l

javier mas

Post by carol l »

having seen the mpls. concert this past sunday, i'm still floating. our group of "cohen heads" have been yearning for a return concert for years, and there we all were, aah! we meet annually, usually around his sept. 21 birthday to celebrate leonard and listen to his music...now we can savor memories of this concert.
-the musicians were perfection squared. i was especially taken with the music of javier mas and would like to get his cd "tamiz", but am unable to find it in the usa. do any of you know if it's available?
-thank you, jarkko, and all others who pulled this dream come true ! yes, you let the light in!- carol
Eskimo

Re: javier mas

Post by Eskimo »

ArkivMusic lists it as available as an import on backorder. It may be worth contacting them to see what this means specifically for this CD.
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

I went to the concerts in both Vancouver and Victoria (BC) but in Victoria, I was extremely fortunate to have a front row seat, which was amazing.

On the I Tried To Leave You encore, the spotlight was on Javier for a brief solo, and I could swear he was looking directly into my eyes, while playing. I looked right back and held his gaze. So afterwards, I said to (hub) Steve: 'Did you see that Javier was looking DIRECTLY into my eyes, in that last solo?' and Steve replied, straightfaced: 'I would have noticed, but I was too busy making DIRECT eye contact with the Webbs...'

We all have our fantasies 8)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: Great anecdote, Sheila :lol: ... a "gotcha!" for sure :razz: . I mean, not that he wasn't, of course ;-) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

HI Lizzy-pie,

Well, I think Steve was a bit on the defensive. Earlier in the day, I had remarked that Javier played his instruments with intensity; as if he was making love to a woman - very patiently and assiduously.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Oh Sheila,

I definitely agree! In Phoenix, I too was seated directly in front of Javier. He was only a couple of feet away, especially when you're giving a standing ovation! He has the aura of an elegant Mediterranean man to start with, but the intensity and passion with which he plays his marvelous instruments does indeed mirror the intensity and passion of lovemaking! At the end of the concert it was so easy just to say "thank you for a beautiful evening"!

This is partly why, as much as I adore Sharon and love the ethereal voices of the Webb sisters, I HAVE, simply HAVE, to sit close to the front on the right side! It's costing me a small fortune, which I am parting with happily :D :D

All the best,
Diana
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Earlier in the day, I had remarked that Javier played his instruments with intensity; as if he was making love to a woman - very patiently and assiduously.
:lol: Now that's just what any husband or lover wants to hear :lol: ! "A bit on the defensive" ~ ya think :lol: ? I guess you could always fall back on your unwavering commitment to accuracy ;-) .

"The aura of an elegant Mediterranean man" ~ well said, Diana. Enjoy your high-dollar seating 8) .

~ Lizzy-pie :lol:
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

ladydi wrote:...He has the aura of an elegant Mediterranean man to start with, but the intensity and passion with which he plays his marvelous instruments......as much as I adore Sharon and love the ethereal voices of the Webb sisters, I HAVE, simply HAVE, to sit close to the front on the right side!...
At one concert, I sat first row in front of Sharon and the Webb sisters. At another concert, I was in front of Javier Mas and Soldo. Two totally different concert experiences. I agree with everything you said about Mas. However, I like to focus intently on the Maestro. LC has a style of holding up the microphone connecting wire with his left hand. This often obscures his face, especially his eyes, those enigmatic, mesmerizing eyes. Also, when sitting so close to the front on the right right, when LC kneels before Mas, the monitors interfere with the sightline. So, I prefer to sit on the left side in front of the backing singers.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

bridger15 wrote:At one concert, I sat first row in front of Sharon and the Webb sisters. At another concert, I was in front of Javier Mas and Soldo. Two totally different concert experiences. I agree with everything you said about Mas. However, I like to focus intently on the Maestro. LC has a style of holding up the microphone connecting wire with his left hand. This often obscures his face, especially his eyes, those enigmatic, mesmerizing eyes. Also, when sitting so close to the front on the right right, when LC kneels before Mas, the monitors interfere with the sightline. So, I prefer to sit on the left side in front of the backing singers.
Interesting...I hadn't thought about it that way. Leonard has and always will be my main focus. I love your phrase "those enigmatic, mesmerizing eyes"! So true; however, I feel I've always been able to see his face quite clearly, but do agree that sometimes the monitors get in the way. Guess it just shows that we're all individuals in our preferences :D . The most important thing is how he touches our souls....no matter where we're seated!

Diana

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”