CONCERT REPORT: Calgary, April 26

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
taxbuster

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Calgary April 26

Post by taxbuster »

Some of the band members were signing autographs quite willingly in Calgary last night. I did see at least one person getting a photo. No LC of course out early.
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

The highlight for me (after watching and rewatching videos of most of the shows since the beginning of the tour and attending in Portugal) had to be Leonard's recitation of A Thousand Kisses deep--When he recited
"I loved you when you opened like a lily to the heat
I'm just another snowman standing in the snow and sleet
Who loved you with his frozen love His second hand physique
With all he is and all he was a thousand kisses deep"

I had been out for a hike in Banff the previous day and was caught in a sudden squall, with snow and sleet pelting furiously out of the dark clouds. There were moments during my drive to the city when I could see nothing at all.

The woman next to me just gasped, (who can blame her) __I hardly moved a muscle through the whole show this time after dancing in Portugal the whole time. In Portugal, miles away from the stage, I moved my body to stay connected to the music-last night at the venue we were in--I was transfixed--not just by Leonard, but by each one of the band in turn and together. I also had the privilege of meeting Roscoe and Rafael, who graciously signed a copy of the article in which a few of us were interviewed.

The intimacy of the venue and my expansive mood led to encounters with other fans who were all just so delighted to be seeing Leonard, that I would hazard a guess that there was one night in which no complaints were heard. Another fan noted that Leonard created a sacred space on the stage when the other musicians were playing. When I heard that, I thought --that is it -a sacred space indeed --this whole hall is blessed by his presence. We are, aren't we?

When Leonard sang Chelsea Hotel, he changed the words again--that's all my little darlin, I don't even think of you that often. --A whole shift was presented in those three words---my little darlin, Leonard now grown, and matured, bringing Janis back to us as she was --a young woman --

Those of us of a certain age, can, I think, appreciate certain aspects of Leonard's music which reflect his maturity and growth --not just that he has matured (not everyone does) but that he is not afraid to show us that more fully developed, more spiritually aware, Leonard who has been on this journey with us for a long time baby. Having seen so many of the videos as well, I thought that I could see a bit of tiredness in Leonard. Apparently the critics did not notice it—it made me feel maternal in a strange way, but he did not sing his song from Dear Heather in which he describes just that reaction from women. I wanted to send him strength and when at one point in the performance he confessed to “There’s a lot of anxiety around” while holding his hand inside his jacket, I wanted to say “it’s alright Leonard”.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

When Leonard sang Chelsea Hotel, he changed the words again--that's all my little darlin, I don't even think of you that often. --A whole shift was presented in those three words---my little darlin, Leonard now grown, and matured, bringing Janis back to us as she was --a young woman --
What a great insight, St Theresa 8) .

Thanks for your review. Leonard's recitation of A Thousand Kisses Deep is breathtaking in a way that I want every man and woman I've ever known to hear it.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ejeong

A great concert and a big 'thank-you' to Rafael Gayol (story

Post by ejeong »

My husband and I were fortunate enough to see the very first concert of this tour in Fredericton (thanks to brother-in-law libraryref) and when we found out that he was coming to Alberta wanted to see Leonard again. We actually live in Edmonton, but decided to try to get tickets in Calgary because of the smaller venue. Thanks to the presale, we got some excellent seats (thanks jarkko!).

Of course, the concert was wonderful and it was interesting to see the change that a year makes in the performance and the arrangements. Leonard played the guitar a lot more in the recent concert and he added some songs that I really missed seeing the first time such as "Chelsea Hotel", "Famous Blue Raincoat" and "Sisters of Mercy" - all three in fairly simple arrangements that made them all the more special. If anything, Leonard seemed more energetic and limber than a year ago. But still so gracious and generous with his fellow musicians and with us, the audience. Never did we have the feeling that it was just 'another night, another town'.

(and so, to the Rafael Gayol story....)

My husband, Steve, and I got to meet Rafael Gayol, Roscoe Beck and Charley Webb before the show. So, when were talking to Rafael, Steve mentioned that we had been at the Fredericton show the previous year. Then I said that we had been looking at the gong before everyone got on stage in Fredericton and speculating about where it was going to fit in. Then I told Rafael that I didn't see where it got used during the concert.

So he said, "Oh no! It was right at the end of Gypsy Wife."

So then I said, "Oh, I completely missed it. Maybe you need to do a big dramatic wind up!" And I made the matching gesture - the cliched two-handed big wind-up motion.

His reply was, "No, no, it has to be subtle - you don't want to overpower the rest of the music."

So, then, during the show, they played Gypsy Wife and at the end, Rafael puts down his drumsticks, comes down off the drum platform, grabs the mallet, pulls his arm back in a big windup and lets loose on the gong.

So funny. The girl next to me was saying something like "What was that?". Funny moment and a good memory. Unless he does that every night - but still, I'd like to believe that it was because of our conversation.

Entonces, muchas gracias Rafael - me hizo un recuerdo muy bonito!

What a wonderful evening.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

eyeong,

I like to think that LC and his entourage do pay attention to us on the forum and in person. IMHO, Rafael did this in response to your suggestion - how special and from the sound of it, effective. I will be looking for this now. What a great story! Thank you.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ellis

Post by ellis »

Re the query about what's appropriate or not when meeting the musicians before the show:
It was apparent that they, Charley, Roscoe and Rafael, came out with pens ready to sign autographs. They were all lovely to talk with, and made a point of finding out our names to include in their signing. When Charley saw me taking a picture of the general scene, she immediately said let's have a picture taken together, such a lovely thought, and a great picture! She and I had some fun talking about our respective accents, both being English; she was surprised that I hadn't lost mine over here! When I asked her what it was like, touring with LC, (I know, daft question!), she said it was great fun, there's lots of laughter, and that he has a fantastic sense of humour, and uses lots of sarcasm, which we Brits love! Meeting Charley, Roscoe and Rafael made the night even more special for me. Thankyou guys again!
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Thanks for sharing that story about Rafael ejeong--I almost forgot about how delightful Roscoe and Rafael were
but getting a chance to meet them before the concert was nice. I did not have a program to have signed but I had brought along the Calgary Herald article in which a number of people, including myself, had been interviewed, so I pulled it out and asked if they would mind signing. Rafael exclaimed that he hadn't seen that article yet and both he and Roscoe signed. The article is The Church of Cohen one with the caricature of Leonard in a hat that looks more like a cowboy hat, than his fedora. I responded by telling Roscoe what a great job he was doing as musical director and then added inanely that "Leonard is good but you guys are great" . They got a kick out of that, I think. ( I was a little high and not on any substance other than the night) . And I remember the antics with the gong--in previous shows I had been so focused on Leonard I might not have noticed, but meeting Roscoe and Rafael broadened my perpsective a little and I spent much of the night watching the other members of the group---I loved loved loved the solo by Sharon Robinson. One regret was that I had just missed Charley Webb when I decided to go and say hi to the group members. I would have loved a chance to tell her and Hattie how much I love their voices.
maglover

Post by maglover »

DSCN1289a.JPG
DSCN1289a.JPG (33.84 KiB) Viewed 12341 times
view from the fifth row
maglover

Post by maglover »

DSCN1277a.JPG
DSCN1277a.JPG (23.9 KiB) Viewed 12353 times
a very beautiful Charley Webb favors me with a picture
maglover

Post by maglover »

DSCN1296a.JPG
DSCN1296a.JPG (13.14 KiB) Viewed 12324 times
libraryref

Re: A great concert and a big 'thank-you' to Rafael Gayol (story

Post by libraryref »

ejeong wrote:My husband and I were fortunate enough to see the very first concert of this tour in Fredericton (thanks to brother-in-law libraryref)...
My pleasure. All glory goes to a colleague of mine who "willingly" used her Friends of the Playhouse membership to get me tickets. This is someone I respect, but not wanting to see LC??????? Whoda thunk it? All it cost me was lunch.

All I can say was that the night was fantastic. I'm so very glad you and Steven were there.
Fredericton (May 11, 2008); Toronto (June 6, 2008); Louisville (March 30, 2013)

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”