CONCERT REPORT: Seattle, April 23

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
danf

Re: CONCERT REPORT: April 23, Seattle

Post by danf »

Just got back to Eugene.

I had stressed about the willcall tickets. .what if they don't accept my debit card, what if there's a glitch, what if, what if. . .we rode over on the boat from Winslow and walked the few blocks, going against the flow of Mariner fans, and then the fan club tickets were at tables outside. . .it was very easy and all I had to do was show my driver's license. . .so we turned out to be VERY early.

I did not see any of you, but I sorta lurked in the bar/food/merch area wondering if I'd run into a group and over hear. . .no such luck. We had a beer and went in. The venue SUCKS. . .the big flat floor and the creaky bleachers. We were about halfway up in the center.

It started about 8:05, and even then there were a LOT of people rustling around, trying to find seats, kicking people out of their rightful seats, etc. Lotsa people texting, etc. It was annoying. The staff there seemed indifferent.

As for the concert. . this is the fifth time I have seen him, and this was just so trancendently wonderful. . .it's like Cohen and his band are travelling the world providing musical and spiritual nourishment for the masses. Every song was a revelation, like we were hearing it for the first time. Can considering that Hallelueah was about halfway through the second set, and then it just kept building and building through all the encores. . .there was not a dry eye in the house while the Webb sisters (who had done a cartwheel in unison during The Future) sang If It Be Your Will, while Cohen stood in the dark, his hat over his head. It was just all so wonderful, up to the very end when the crew came out for a bow.

And then to run into a bunch of folks on the boat back to Bainbridge. . .

And tonight he's doing it again in Edmunton. It's amazing, but they all seemed fresh and enthusiastic and fed off the audience's appreciation.

So . .the bad. . .the ticket buying experience, dealing with Ticketmaster. . .the venue. . .the rude patrons who seemed to be socializing and doing anything other then attending to the music on hand.

The good. . .the spiritual quality of the music. Cohen's graciousness and and humility. The uniform excellence of the musicians. . .the lighting. . .

On the whole. . .I am so glad I went. . .

If you are near one of his upcoming concerts and are on the fence about going, just GO already.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

danf wrote: I did not see any of you, but I sorta lurked in the bar/food/merch area wondering if I'd run into a group and over hear. . .no such luck.

***** So sorry danf that you were not able to meet up with other forum members. I know you would have enjoyed it immensely.

it's like Cohen and his band are travelling the world providing musical and spiritual nourishment for the masses.

******How eloquently put danf. One of the best phrases in all the reviews I have read!

And then to run into a bunch of folks on the boat back to Bainbridge. . .

******So you finally met some other concert attendees? How did it go?

It's amazing, but they all seemed fresh and enthusiastic and fed off the audience's appreciation.

******You're so right. It's as if every concert is their first performance and they seem to give so much more (if that is possible) when audience reaction is on the exhuberant side.
danf,

I just wanted to say thank you for such a wonderful comprehensive review.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

Laura
Merci beaucoup pour votre information. :D :D
Yes, am looking forward to concerts in Quebec City, Ottawa and then my home city of Dublin. I hope to go to some more during the summer (certainly Venice if it materialises), but not sure yet where else.

A bientot

Tony.
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

. . . while Cohen stood in the dark, his hat over his head.
Hi danf ~

I also enjoyed your appreciative comments and encouragement to others. Fortunately, most venues are certainly better than the one you described.

Now... as concerns the above quote. A humourous image, for sure, but one I suspect is due only to a typo ;-) . Yes :D ?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
watermandala

Post by watermandala »

We also attended the Seattle performance and had a great experience. This was our fourth Leonard Cohen concert over a span of seventeen years . I thought nothing could surpass the show we attended last June in Toronto, but this truly did. The musicians performed the songs so lovingly, Leonard was in fine voice, the sound mix was perfect, and the lighting complimented the music so well. It may have had something to do with all these months on the road amplifying the power of these incredible songs, or maybe it was the vibe created by several thousand people under the spell of this music, but it all affected me in a more intense way than ever before.

Now for some words I never thought I would write - my wife and I met Leonard Cohen. By chance we stayed in the same hotel as the band and tour crew. We went out for a morning walk and breakfast Friday morning, and on returning to the hotel we rode the escalator up from the ground floor to the lobby. There was his unmistakable profile directly in front of me, seated. I walked over and said good morning. He tipped his hat, then stood up and we shook hands. I thanked him for the perfect evening the night before and for all the great music throughout the years then wished him well for the remainder of the tour. What a warm and gracious gentleman! It was an honor to spend a few moments with him.

A few minutes later back on our floor I ran into Roscoe Beck who, unknown to us before that point, was our neighbor across the hall. I thanked him for concert and the fine musicianship under his direction. I also mentioned, should it work out (Fall 2009 North American tour? - let's hope), that we would welcome a concert in Portland.

When checking out of the hotel, the agent at the reception desk asked if we enjoyed our time in Seattle. I told her of the fantastic concert we attended and that I met one of my heroes in the lobby earlier in the morning. She smiled and said "you have fine stories to tell of this trip". I do and I just did.

We've been talking this weekend about the possibility of being at Red Rocks on June 2, and perhaps that will become a reality. We all know how magical these performances are, and I hope to experience another one on this tour.

Best wishes to all,

Mike
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Mike - I am so envious!!! My husband, toddler and I arrived in Seattle on Wednesday and I carted around a purse with a camera and Book of Mercy everywhere we went - just in case we ran into him! But, no such luck. We stayed at the hotel immediately across the strees from the theater, so I didn't expect to see him there, but my hopes were still high! Of course, when you're hoping for it, it never happens! What a wonderful experience! I was able to be in the front row, so got to see him up close (and swear he made eye contact with me at one point!) and even that was a real treat! I, too, am hoping to make it to Red Rocks. Once just wasn't enough.

Full concert report to come soon!
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Looking forward to reading yours, too, KaimiK. I'm sorry you had no such luck as Mike... perhaps, in Red Rocks. Do somehow manage to go... it's going to be a magnificent concert... so many things point to that.

I'm so happy for you in meeting Leonard 8) , Mike :D ... there's no describing the impact, is there? There is a thread somewhere for sharing this very thing. I hope you'll find it and do that very thing! Never mind... I found it for you: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13968&start=30
It's in the Comments & Questions section and the thread is titled something to the effect of Recent Meetings with Leonard by Cohenites.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

I'm finding the experience difficult to put into words, so I'll just start telling the story and see what comes out!

I discovered LC about 10 years ago and never in my wildest dreams imagine I'd be able to see him in concert. So, when I learned he was touring again in the US, I told my husband, "It doesn't matter what we need to do to make this happen, I have to see this concert!!!" So, we arranged for my mom to drive down from Canada to babysit my tween stepkids. And my husband, 2-year old and I planned a trip to Seattle - a trip where he would enjoy a daddy-daughter evening while this mom spent an evening of bliss with her all-time favorite musician.

And after months of guerilla-warfare with TM, including 5 ticket purchases, I was able to get a front row center ticket! Nervous about me going alone, my husband and little one went with me to pick up the presale ticket at about 5:45 and to meet a very nice chap, Noel, who bought it. On our way there, another fellow asked if I was Kelsey and he turned out to be another person I sold a ticket too. (He knew I was 6 months pregnant - not tough to spot!) Very nice chap as well. (These LC fans are quite a nice group, aren't they?) There was a table set up outside the main boxoffice and there was no line at all. I picked it up, handed it off and we were told to line up under the marquis for the early entry. There were a few other people there milling around, and after 10 or 15 minutes, they allowed everyone in who was waiting, presale ticket or not.

Entering the venue, it took a moment for my eyes to adjust. You walked into a large concrete lobby, but they did the best they could to create a nice mood with dim bluish-cast lighting. There were several bar areas along one wall, tables with votive candles in the middle of the cavernous space, and then the main merchandise table along the other wall. I bought a few things, and made myself comfy at a table. It wasn't crowded, but more and more people came in, so I never did meet up with any other forum members. After a bit, I saw Dino and Rafael in front of the merchandise area, so I meandered over to say hello. Both were very gracious and friendly.

Anyway, where was I... oh yes. So, at a bit after 7:00, they allowed us to go to our seats. As for this venue, it certainly leaves a great deal to be desired. Think back to grade school when you went to a friend's house and tried to "fix up" the unfinished basement - that's about what this was like! It's a huge cavernous concrete space to which they've added ceiling to floor heavy drapes to try to add some atmosphere. The stage was about 5 feet high, and my front row seat was about 4 feet from it. And the musicians seemed to be fairly far back on the stage. So, my view was from LC's waist up, but still spectacular to be able to see all the facial expressions and interactions.

The concert started just a few minutes after 8, and I don't even know how to describe it. With my box of chocolates, a long stem rose and a terrible case of anxiety, I'm not even sure if I was breathing through the first few songs. First, I am a self-conscious wall-flower. Second, the stage was so high, with a barrier 3 feet or so in front, and I couldn't even reach the stage. How was I going to do this? My heart was beating so hard, I couldn't make myself do it before Everybody Knows. And no standing ovations to cover my actions. But, I kept thinking to myself, "If I don't get rid of these things, I'm going to feel awful the whole evening, I just have to do it." So, at the end of Everybody Knows, I finally just got up tossed them up there and sat back down, very relieved to have it over with. He didn't notice them at all! Eventually, one of the Webb sisters moved the rose just in front of him and he seemed to take notice, but never did pick it up! Very sad!

The Seattle crowd seemed very subdued through the first set, but warmed up during the second. I was so caught up in the music, everyone behind me could have left and I never would have known. The Partisan was a special highlight, with such a spirit about it, thanks in part to the spectacular musicianship of Javier Mas. I went to this concert intent on nothing but Leonard Cohen, but was quickly enthralled with every single musician on stage. All are exceptional musicians in their own right, and together create such a perfect ensemble. Javier, with his exquisite fingerwork. Dino, whose body is entirely consumed in the experience. I could go on, but I would go to see any of these individuals on stage.

The entire evening was perfect, but I would say the catharsis for many was If It Be Your Will. I was afraid to look around, embarassed at the tears in my eyes, but I'm sure mine were not the only damp eyes in the audience. Leonard spoke the first few lines, then those angelic Webb voices continued on. Leonard stood back, eyes closed, hat in hand and it was so moving I literally had to look away and try to think about something else to gain some back some measure of emotional control.

I've thought often about why I, and so many others, feel so connected to this man and his music. I realized in that moment that in the words to that song, in seeing him on stage, I was seeing the entire breadth and depth of the human experience played out in front of me. In that one song, you experienced his life, his journey - hope, longing, weakness, repentance, seeking, joy, and finally coming to terms with what we are, why we're here and finding peace with ourselves and whatever higher power we subscribe to.

For some, mostly artists it seems, they stay connected to the experience of youth - to going through the highs and lows of life with the same enthusiasm and willingness to experience the ride. But, it seems for most of us, we trade in the highs and lows to find "shelter". We are happy, even joyful, fulfilled, but we've constructed our lives to protect us from the pain, the uncertainty. And through people like Leonard, we can ride the ride once again. These few souls, who brave the uncertainty, who walk through the trials and can share their journeys - give us back the piece of ourselves we've traded in. And for those of us who lose that youthful connection between the spirit and the voice, his words give wings to our soul's voice and his music gives us a soft place to land.

By the end of the night, the audience was enthralled - I'm sure we have thousands of new devotees thanks to these concerts. The encores were wonderful and I was so impressed when the crew joined everyone else on stage and they all seemed to be truly enjoying being there. When it was over, Sharon spotted my box of chocolates, picked them up and offered them to Leonard, but he gestured to her to keep them. My rose offering sadly stayed on the stage when they all left. As I was filing out, Sharon peeked out from the curtain on the side of the stage and I was able to say hello and that I hoped she enjoyed the chocolates. She said, "oh, so it was you!" with that sparkling smile. I walked across the street to our hotel, gushed to my husband about the night, then my precious little one in her sleep stretched her arms out around my neck, and happily said, "Mommy came back." and snuggled back down to sleep. What a magical and perfect ending to magical and perfect night. It seems like a dream - so much so that I hope I can make it to Red Rocks - just to make sure this was all real. Hope to see you there.

Kelsey
Last edited by KaimiK on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
moineau

Post by moineau »

very sweet reviews, kelsey and danf. enjoyed your words very much. always so much anticipation for these great musicians and poets, they will always be with us. and what a lovely meeting up you had, mike. félicitations!

yes, a portland concert, please! i'd like to take both my sons next time who are 31 and 25 and just getting introduced to leonard through the videos i send them. they bring me so much great music: i'm always happy to reciprocate with someone like leonard from my past, and now my present! so, portland, YES!

thanks everyone for sharing! and bill's, enjoy your concerts! we all know you will! xoxoxoxoox
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Kelsey ~

Had you never written anything about yourself until now, this would have been worth every word you left unspoken:
I walked across the street to our hotel, gushed to my husband about the night, then my precious little one in her sleep stretched her arms out around my neck, and happily said, "Mommy came back." and snuggled back down to sleep. What a magical and perfect ending to magical and perfect night.

Had you written little about Leonard, this would have been worth every word you ever left unsaid:
The entire evening was perfect, but I would say the catharsis for many was If It Be Your Will. I was afraid to look around, embarassed at the tears in my eyes, but I'm sure mine were not the only damp eyes in the audience. Leonard spoke the first few lines, then those angelic Webb voices continued on. Leonard stood back, eyes closed, hat in hand and it was so moving I literally had to look away and try to think about something else to gain some back some measure of emotional control.

I've thought often about why I, and so many others, feel so connected to this man and his music. I realized in that moment that in the words to that song, in seeing him on stage, I was seeing the entire breadth and depth of the human experience played out in front of me. In that one song, you experienced his life, his journey - hope, longing, weakness, repentance, seeking, joy, and finally coming to terms with what we are, why we're here and finding peace with ourselves and whatever higher power we subscribe to.

For some, mostly artists it seems, they stay connected to the experience of youth - to going through the highs and lows of life with the same enthusisasm and willingness to experience the ride. But, it seems for most of us, we trade in the highs and lows to find "shelter". We are happy, even joyful, fulfilled, but we've constructed our lives to protect us from the pain, the uncertainty. And through people like Leonard, we can ride the ride once again. These few souls, who brave the uncertainty, who walk through the trials and can share their journeys - give us back the piece of ourselves we've traded in. And for those of us who lose that youthful connection between the spirit and the voice, his words give wings to our soul's voice and his music gives us a soft place to land.
These were such beautiful descriptions of so many things at once, I don't have adequate words to express my appreciation. These words about Leonard are so amazingly accurate.

Thank you so much for taking the time, Kelsey.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Dear Kelsey,

I am speechless (this doesn't happen often!) and touched deep into my heart by your review. When you were describing your emotions during "If It Be Your Will" I realized tears were streaming down my face. Your beautiful words ran the gauntlet of my emotions....both by bringing back memories, and of looking at Leonard through the eyes of another. You made me experience every nuance of your feelings before, during and after the concert. I echo each and every word that Lizzy has said. Leonard may touch our souls...but your words have also, in so many ways. Thank you Kelsey!

Your sharing invites re-reading...I will return.

Thank you, thank you, and many thanks to your awesome understanding fabulous husband! :D

All the best,
Diana
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Kelsey,

I've waited and waited so patiently for your review - it was so worth the wait! On top of everything that Lizzy and Diana said so well, I just want to say what an informative, eloquent, touching post it is. You did not seem to have any ' difficulty putting your experience into words'. On the contrary, you excelled!

Wish your 'perfect offering' had received a more perfect acknowledgement :cry: - perhaps he is now waiting for the banana that has everyone abuzz ;-) :lol: .

Still hoping you do Red Rocks, where there will positively be an actual meetup, so that Diana and I can finally meet you and you'll get a chance to meet more 'LC fans which are quite a nice group' :D .

Anticipatory regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Mike,

Thanks so much for your review and the great story of your encounter with Roscoe Beck and LC! Hope you and your wife make it to Red Rocks and attend the meetup! We would all love to meet you!

Best regards,
Mary
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

:oops: :oops: :oops: Aw you guys are making me blush. Thank you so very much for your very kind words. Lizzy, Diana, Mary, you three are just the best - thanks for always making me feel so welcome here. Please keep your eyes open for an extra Red Rocks ticket. If I can find that one great ticket, I'll be there, anxious to meet each of you!

BTW, I read on the Red Rocks website that you can bring in fruits and vegetables, but they have to be cut up. Guess that eliminates the option of hurling bananas? ;-) :lol: ;-)

Gratefully,
Kelsey
shauna

Re: CONCERT REPORT: April 23, Seattle SEATTLE TIMES REVIEW!

Post by shauna »

http:/Concert review | Troubadour Leonard Cohen delivers masterful WaMu show

Concert Review: Singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen performed a masterful sold-out show in Seattle April 23 at WaMu Theater, demonstrating that the 74-year-old troubadour is the best interpreter of his own canon; review by Misha Berson.

By Misha Berson

Seattle Times arts critic

Related

Music & Nightlife RSS feed
He has not performed in Seattle in about 15 years, Leonard Cohen told his sold-out WaMu Theater crowd on Thursday. The last time was back when he was only 60, he cracked, and "just a crazy kid with a dream."

Cohen fans could not have dreamed of a more fulfilling, transporting return by the esteemed Canadian troubadour. With a luxuriant band and three backup singers, all of whom have accompanied him on his current world "comeback" tour, Cohen graciously welcomed the crowd into his "tower of song." And like a poet-shaman of old, he put us under a seamless, timeless musical trance that lasted more than three hours.

Now a spry 74, Cohen literally skipped onto the WaMu stage, to the strains of his rapturous love song, "Dance Me to the End of Love." Looking gangster-of-love sharp in his trademark black suit and rakish fedora (his band sported the same look), Cohen swirled us through the riches of his songbook — from the witty doomsday scenarios ("The Future"), to the love ballads of heartbroken jubilations ("Ain't No Cure for Love"), to the incisive anthems ("Democracy") and haunting incantations ("Hallelujah").

Cushioning his "thousand kisses deep" voice (still a surprisingly sturdy basso rasp) were the musicians saluted repeatedly by the Buddhist-Jewish singer with warm praise, and reverential bows from the waist.

The band earned his love, with lush instrumental arrangements that brought out the Mediterranean/Middle Eastern flavor of Cohen's minor-key melodies. The work of Javier Mas, a Spanish virtuoso of such string instruments as the bandurria, and the snake-charming horn solos of Dino Soldo on a variety of horns, were especially savory. And the celestial harmonies of British sisters Charley and Hattie Webb, and vocal interplay of Sharon Robinson (co-composer of "Everybody Knows" and other Cohen odes), were integral to the mix.

But the songs of human failing and transcendence Cohen has wrought over a lifetime could soar even without such fine embellishment. Marbled with biblical allusions and existential ironies, prayers and omens, apocalypse and celebration, sexual politics and political metaphysics, they are novellas and elegies and sermons on the mount.

And they're saved from pretentiousness by wit, and self-mockery, and sheer genius.

The complexity and erudition of Cohen's songs make most pop-music lyrics seem like nursery rhymes. "The dealer wants you thinkin' it's either black or white," he intoned. "Thank God it's not that simple, in my secret life."

Arguably, save Bob Dylan, no other pop bard has stockpiled three hours of material as profound, eloquent and enigmatic as what Cohen and company performed. But while he rose to fame in the 1960s alongside Dylan and others, the Montreal native was not shaped so much by folk Americana as by Beat poetics and the chansons of such French balladeer as Jacques Brel.

It was folkie diva Judy Collins who first popularized Cohen's songs ("Suzanne," "Famous Blue Raincoat") in the U.S. And when Cohen's debut album appeared in 1967, many listeners preferred Collins' prettier treatments of his tunes to his own craggy-voiced, string-drenched renditions.

But at WaMu, there was no doubt that the songwriter is now recognized as the definitive interpreter of his own canon. For eloquence and intimacy, his expressive voice-of-God delivery of such standards as "Bird on the Wire" could hardly be bested.

"Ring the bells, that still can ring / Forget your perfect offering," he sang. But on this concert tour, perhaps but hopefully not his last, Cohen's offering was as close to perfection as one dares to imagine.

Misha Berson: mberson@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company

More Music & nightlife headlines...
E-mail article Print view Share

Comments (12)
Insightful review of a truly wonderful event. It was my first (and possibly only) time to see Mr. Cohen and as a veteran of 100's of concerts... Posted on April 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM by ciscokid. Jump to comment We will ever be treated to such a sublime show again? Much to my surprise, WAMU Theatre sound was wonderful, you could clearly hear every nuance of... Posted on April 24, 2009 at 1:12 PM by joe6pak. Jump to comment It was the third time I've seen Leonard Cohen perform: First as a college student in the late 60s in a smokey Canadian bar; second in his most... Posted on April 24, 2009 at 9:37 PM by Pkight. Jump to comment /seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2009116928_zmus24cohen.html
Shauna in Seattle

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”