CONCERT REPORTS: Oakland, April 13, 14 and 15

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Karana

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Oakland, April 13, 14 & 15

Post by Karana »

To Dr. Foxglove... I've sent your link to my friends and family who were unable to get tickets. Brilliant photos! A thousand times thank you, to you and Paige.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Lizzy,

Sorry everyone, I'm slipping back a few posts. Lizzy, I am totally exhausted after reading your post! I thought getting to Phoenix and back was bad.... :shock: You certainly brought back memories of the chaos (and fun) of the Beacon evening but I think I now need to take a nap zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;-)

All the best,
Diana
mirka

Post by mirka »

A big Thank you to Dr. Foxglove from me as well, the "blouse offering" and the woman hugging Leonard are very well documented at the end of your photo report.

I'm going through withdrawal symptoms, ouch that hurts.... :( :o
... looking into Tel Aviv concert, I think it will be another extraordinary event.

.... as for the "ticketing issues" with Oakland concerts, I wish they wouldn't happen.
I think they were unnecessary, all three concerts would easily sell without those manipulations, and whatever extra money was earned from 'Platinum' and VIP tickets was offset by loss in the LC reputation.
Are marketing people unaware of the fact that LC biggest marketing strength is his reputation of a poet living his poems ? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by mirka on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

dfg...I don't even know what to say...I'm speechless and so grateful for your photos. I was hoping for this, but didn't dare hope too much. I'm just moved to tears, actually. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Thanks to EVERYONE on this thread who has been so sweet and generous with comments, photos, and reports.

Esther
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by jonagold »

I'm attaching a few of my photos from the front row at Monday night's show. I brought my pocket Panasonic; had I known that photography wasn't really banned, I might have brought a real camera!
LC-1-small.jpg
LC-1-small.jpg (82.77 KiB) Viewed 11368 times
LC-2-small.jpg
LC-2-small.jpg (52.51 KiB) Viewed 11367 times
LC-3-small.jpg
LC-3-small.jpg (44.89 KiB) Viewed 11363 times
jonagold

Post by jonagold »

And a few more photos . . . .
LC-4-small.jpg
LC-4-small.jpg (45.86 KiB) Viewed 11359 times
LC-5-small.jpg
LC-5-small.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 11361 times
LC-6-small.jpg
LC-6-small.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 11358 times
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

jonagold,

Great pictures! And with a pocket Panasonic :o ! Thank you for posting them.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And I love the one of the theatre's name and marquee 8) .

Look at Leonard's gleeful, sweet smile in the first one 8) .

Got some of Dino's body language, too ;-) ... not a lot, but just enough :) .

Leonard is such a beautiful and handsome man.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tonymoco

Post by tonymoco »

I wanted to post this photo of Wednesday's audience at the Paramount, even if the image quality isn't that great.

For me one of the best things about being there was sharing the experience -- like church -- getting it deeper down into my bones that America is also full of good, aware, caring, and deep human beings. Sometimes it's hard to remember.

We deserve appreciation too. :)

(The Paramount Theatre holds 3,000 people.)

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What a wonderful, wonderful shot, Tony... and very appropriate and true comments. Thanks for the kudos and your reasons for giving them. You're so right. Well done on all of it.

Thanks for thinking to take this shot and for sharing it with us.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Philip Fountain

Post by Philip Fountain »

My portrait (from pub photo & memory)
My portrait (from pub photo & memory)
leonardcohen.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 11063 times
I wrote a review (and drew an illustration) for a popular Northern California website that I'd love to share. It's more a personal account of my daughter and my visit to Oakland for the Monday show. Please follow this link to check it out. Comments are most welcome.
He's Our Man: Leonard Cohen in Oakland, A News Cafe.com
http://anewscafe.com/2009/04/19/hes-our ... t-oakland/
[*]
Steven915

Post by Steven915 »

Sorry this has taken almost a week. I attended my first Leonard concert at the Paramont in Oakland, Tuesday last. It was one of the most amazing concerts that I've ever been to. LC is absolutely amazing and the backing musicians (esp. Javier Mas), exceptional. I also loved the Webb sisters and Sharon Robinson.

One note that I've never seen mentioned here is the respect that Leonard shows for his entourage. Not only did he introduce all of the musicians twice during the show, but he also removed his hat in respect and appreciation whenever someone was being spotlighted.

I'm so glad that Leonard is still going strong at age 74 and hope he has many more years and concerts ahead of him....I'm already looking forward to seeing him again.
Neophyte

Post by Neophyte »

Oh, Philip Fountain, your beautiful review was like spending a little time with Leonard, and there's nothing better than that! And what a sweet illustration! Thank you so much for sharing! (I guess Hannah has figured out that Dad appreciated that ticket...)
Hallelujah!!!
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Philip - What a gift for sharing experience through words. Thank you.

KaimiK
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Philip ~

Thank you for all the layers that you've included, at once, both reviewing his concert and answering the potential question of any newcomer, "Who is Leonard Cohen?" [Not that you would have known, but thanks, too, for writing this on my would-be anniversary with the man who introduced me to Leonard's music.] Such a precious amount of time you took to do this right. A wonderful gift for us and, long-term, for Hannah. I, too, love the gentility your drawing reveals. It's all there with Leonard. Such a beautiful and splendidly written review, Philip. I'm amazed. Time very well spent. Thank you for bringing it to share.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”