CONCERT REPORT: Phoenix, April 5

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MaryB

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Phoenix, April 5

Post by MaryB »

WOW!!! Undoubtedly, by far the best concert to date! I wish everyone the good fortune to get fantastic seats, be in great company (my husband :D , Diana :D , and Gal who drove 7 hours from Hollywood to claim his front row center seat, and because of his reactions, make your reactions seem silent :lol: ) and be surrounded by the most incredibly enthusiatic fans!!!!

This is the first concert I have attended where every single song (except maybe 'In My Secret Life') was rewarded with a standing ovation, and no it wasn't just the four of us (I did check - not that being the only ones standing would have stopped us ;-) ).

The interplay between all on stage was heightened more than ever, probably fueled by the audiences' fervor and appreciation. At one point, when LC is on bended knee singing to Javier Maas,(don't remember which song) LC starts to forcefully (he doesn't normally do it this way in this song) sing the lyrics at (not to) Javier, with a grin on his face as if to say 'what are you going to do about this' and Javier comes back at him with extra notes and chords with a 'so there' and they are both highly amused with the moment as is the laughing audience. This type of thing went on throughout the concert, absolute gems! The continued ardent reaction of the audience turned them all into scoundrels!

After so many performances, they are still fresh, as if it is their first show. Subtle nuances in solos, emphasis on wording continue to delight. 'Lullaby' and 'Waiting For The Miracle' were choices passed up in favor of 'That Don't Make It Junk' - possibly because of the slightly faster tempo would appeal more to this audience on an LC high (between 'Democracy' and 'Closing Time'). Boy, did they give us a show!

Like a good LC soldier, I came prepared. Box of chocolates and a long stemmed twig :roll: . The rose part (artificial - where do you get a real one in an unfamiliar city?) got lost during cocktails with Diana at her hotel bar. After an exhaustive search by my wonderful husband in the small area the rose had to be - nothing - woohoohoo - Twilight Zone :? . Yes, I presented the Master with a twig just before 'Everybody Knows' while apologizing that I had lost the rose part, don't know if he heard. At the end of the song, he graciously picked up the twig and the box of chocolates, made eye contact with me, smiled, and gave me a nod. What could have been if it was a rose and not a twig :lol: . Okay, 'Suzanne' is coming up. Out comes the tea (purchased in an Asian supermarket and was a 'product of China') and two oranges. A bemused smile and shake of the head from LC. Must prefer chocolates because these were not picked up until the end of the show by the crew. Last 'offering'. Just before 'First We Take Manhattan' the monkey is propped up in a sitting position with the plywood (balsa wood) violin velcroed in place as if it is playing the 'instrument'. I learned after the Hamilton show, where I gently tossed a monkey on stage, to never do this again. Everyone on stage recoiled in horror at the unexpected object coming toward them :oops: :oops: :oops: . Dicey choice, the monkey and the violin, as LC is being sarcastic about these items in the song, but, it is a homage to his wry sense of humor on my part. I think they liked it, LC just kept smiling and shaking his head and smiling and shaking his head and almost laughing. PRICELESS!!!!! Worth every minute I spent carving and fashioning that violin. Anything to bring that unexpected smile to LC's face!

Needless to say, I really enjoyed this show! Thank you Diana for originally bringing this info to the Forum's attention. Bill and Eve, Diana and I already discussed (at the show) the fact that our active participation at the concert was a major contributing force ;-) :lol: in making the show so successful and yes they should pay us to sit front row center at all the concerts :razz: :lol: :razz: :lol: :razz: :lol:

Warmest regards to everyone,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mirka

Post by mirka »

MaryB wrote: The rose part (artificial - where do you get a real one in an unfamiliar city?)
At Costco :D :D :D
I got my rose bouquet at Costco in Halifax, and carefully took it with me to Charlottetown (it looked quite impressive in the middle of very early spring there).

And I agree, you should be paid to sit front row center at all the concerts :razz: :lol: :razz: :lol: :razz: :lol:
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

Mary
I'm still smiling and laughing to myself about the monkey and violin. From what you say it looks like Leonard really appreciated the "offering".
And what a lucky monkey :D :D , getting to tour with Leonard and the band from now on. :lol: and maybe even getting to play with them. ;-)
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi all,

Hope this works. Been trying to figure out how to resize my photos!
IMG_1723.JPG
IMG_1726.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

One more with the monkey! I loved Sharon's smile!
IMG_1725.JPG
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

Thanks for those Di. They're great. :D And I see the tea and oranges as well.
It's a big monkey. :D
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Thanks Bill's Bar,

Mary doesn't mess around! I can only imagine what she has planned for the final concert at Red Rocks :D ;-)

Wish the photos were clearer but not using a flash makes it difficult.

All the best,
Diana
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

One more photo...it's of Leonard and came out a little dark but I sort of like it....
IMG_1687.JPG
evewaldman

Post by evewaldman »

YA-HOOOOOO!!!!! Diana! You DID it! :D The photos are great! I love the one with Sharon smiling also. The whole photo captures a moment and that moment shines through the computer screen. It gave me a thrill when I saw it -- like I went to the concert in your LC tote bag -- at least for a moment. I like the intimate, soul-singing Leonard in blue also. Nice photo.
So, thank you, thank you, thank you :D :D :D
And MaryB? I repeat myself. You are sooooooooo clever. ;-) :)

My best,
Eve
evewaldman

Post by evewaldman »

MARY! I missed your long post on the concert! Went straight to the pics, I guess. :roll: What a rush of enthusiasm! I think you brought the whole uproarious audience with you to the screen. Standing ovation to you ;-) :D :!:
My best,
Eve
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

Well priceless is the only word for it Mary B, what a great story. Very well done, what a fantastic idea. Clearly Leonard just loved it!
Ladydi, excellent photos, great that you captured each moment for us, big thank you.

Marie
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I love everything about this thread! :D Leonard holding the monkey is pretty much the best pic ever. I'm inspired to bring him something next week...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by mirka »

MaryB, you are great with your ideas and their implementation, my congrats 8) :lol:
Diane, pictures are a delight, thank you for making this report even more exciting :D

Mnkyface, would you care to add to this thread your story of an intense Cohen fan visiting Oakland box office for the past week ? I think it's a great story, I used it to prove to my husband I'm relatively sane as far as Leonard Cohen fans go :razz: :razz:
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
surfergirl

Post by surfergirl »

@ ladydi --

What camera did you use, did you use a flash, and if not, what was your setting, if you know?
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi surfergirl.

I used a basic Canon G9 digital point and shoot. I do have a digital SLR camera but find the G9 is perfect for concerts because it's small and has a great zoom. No flash. A flash going off in Row 30 is one thing but a flash in the first row of the pit is quite another. Because of no flash some images are a little distorted but that's because the aperture was open longer. Most settings were simply on auto but some were set to "P"...which is still an autoframe but you can make sure the focus is where you want it to be.

All the best,
Diana

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”