Red Rocks concert

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
KaimiK

Re: RED ROCKS POSTPONED TO THURSDAY

Post by KaimiK »

Megan2c2b wrote:I have now talked to a couple of members of Leonard's crew and this issue of an alternate venue is a mystery to everyone. Every venue that Leonard plays has to be scouted and surveyed to make certain it is acceptable. It takes hours to set up all the lighting and sound equipment. They begin first thing in the morning for an 8 pm show. So, there is no way they could play down the street at a venue they've never seen and be ready in a couple of hours. An alternate venue would not be feasible.
I have now deleted that portion of my post, in the interest of not causing trouble! However, I was at Red Rocks around lunchtime, and was told about the postponement and also told that an alternate venue was declined. It appeared to me that trucks had already unloaded equipment, so perhaps what they meant was that moving to an alternate venue at that point would have been unfeasible. I apologize for stirring up controversy - I was simply passing on the message I was told. :oops:
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
tvc15

Re: Red Rocks Concert - June 2, 2009 - Possible RAINOUT?

Post by tvc15 »

My heart still breaks for those who cannot stay until Thursday and will miss the concert because of the postponement.
Mine too. I can't imagine how disappointing that would be. I had no idea so many people were making such a long trip to see this show. Hopefully something's in the works. ??? That would be incredible.

Again, if I can help in any way, please PM me.
sweetdaisy

Post by sweetdaisy »

What's killing me is that while watching out my hotel window I am noticing two things. 1) It hasn't rained in hours, and 2) The ground is now completely dry!!!! ARGH. :cry:
Greg Ross

Re: The Concert That Never Was Meet-Up

Post by Greg Ross »

Greetings people

A group of us have decided to meet at Tony Rigatoni’s in Morrison this evening (Tuesday 2nd) at 7.30pm, to down or sorrows, eat a little, drink a little, commiserate a little and enjoy each other's company, as so many of us (me included) cannot stay for the rescheduled Thursday concert.

I can be contacted on +61 418 953 275, and Roman on 702 359 811
Cheers
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
Greg Ross

Re: "The Concert That Never Was Meet-Up"

Post by Greg Ross »

Greetings people

A group of us have decided to meet at Tony Rigatoni’s in Morrison this evening (Tuesday 2nd) at 7.30pm, to down or sorrows, eat a little, drink a little, commiserate a little and enjoy each other's company, as so many of us (me included) cannot stay for the rescheduled Thursday concert.

I can be contacted on +61 418 953 275, and Roman on 702 359 811
Cheers
All Good Things
Greg

sweetdaisy

Re: RED ROCKS CONCERT

Post by sweetdaisy »

Booooooooooooooohissssssssssssss WAH!!!! :cry:

We have to go back to NYC and can't stay until Thursday.

And it's not even RAINING!!!! :roll:
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

sweetdaisy wrote:What's killing me is that while watching out my hotel window I am noticing two things. 1) It hasn't rained in hours, and 2) The ground is now completely dry!!!! ARGH. :cry:
sweetdaisy and others:

It may help you to look at the Red Rocks webcam I've just found at

http://www.redrocksonline.com/pages/media/webcam.html

The place looks flooded - I can't see how they could have gone ahead with the concert in those conditions.

Wendy
Pomona

Re: RED ROCKS CONCERT

Post by Pomona »

What's the story with the Mixing area (on Red Rocks seating charts) that appears to take up the center section of Rows 5 - 10? Does this result in Obstructed View Seats?
May 4 1985 Berklee Boston / Feb 19 2009 Beacon NYC / May 29 2009 Wang Boston / June 4 2009 Red Rocks / Dec 15 2012 Wang Boston
novabella

Post by novabella »

Just got in from San Diego and heard the news about the show being postponed. Not sure if I can stay either since it is going to be over $400 in changes including hotels/ airfare. Please someone post here if there is going to be an impromptu concert tonight (indoors). I had completely gotten myself geared up to sit in the rain all night, with a smile on my face! My ticket says "rain or shine" so I really did not think this was going to happen like this...
San Diego- April 7th, 2009, Red Rocks- June 4nd, 2009, Las Vegas- November 12th, 2009, San Jose- November 13th, 2009
Pomona

Post by Pomona »

No. I'm sorry, but someone recently posted that there couldn't possibly be a show indoors tonight because it takes the crew the better part of the day to set up for the show. It can't be done.
May 4 1985 Berklee Boston / Feb 19 2009 Beacon NYC / May 29 2009 Wang Boston / June 4 2009 Red Rocks / Dec 15 2012 Wang Boston
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From LiveDaily.com

http://www.livedaily.com/news/19262.html
Leonard Cohen Postpones Red Rocks Show

Published June 2, 2009 01:06 PM
By Tara Hall
LiveDaily Contributor

Leonard Cohen has postponed his show tonight (6/2) at Morrison, CO's Red Rocks Amphitheatre due to inclement weather.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer has rescheduled the engagement for Thursday (6/4). Tickets for tonight's show will be honored and refunds are available at the point of purchase. Refunds must be completed before Thursday's gig, according to the venue's website.

Cohen and his backing band have been on the road since early April and will wrap up the US tour Thursday with the rescheduled Red Rocks show. A European run begins July 1 and continues through late September.

Cohen's most recent studio album, 2004's "Dear Heather," is a collaboration with his girlfriend, jazz singer Anjani Thomas. In March, the performer released "Live in London," documenting his performance last July at London's O2 Arena.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

THANK YOU, WENDY!!! Even though what sweetdaisy may be seeing from her hotel room is dry ground [but we're still seeing wet], there is nothing to say what those looming, ominous, extremely dark, storm clouds on the horizon may hold for Red Rocks, which is nestled in the mountains themselves... also, who knows what may be happening there right now, no matter what is happening here. So, seeing what appears to be flooding of the lower section of the Red Rocks venue, itself, is pretty compelling.
My husband made an interesting comment: he said Red Rocks was notorious for weather problems and it was quite common for concerts to be rescheduled to an indoor venue in Denver. Is this right?
This may be true, too... however, in our discussion of the alternate-venue situation with the bartender of the Hops Restaurant & Bar, it seems the venues that are generally offered are sub-standard and sounded more like livestock-showing arenas. Seriously, he made them sound like cow barns. Even allowing for some hyperbole there, it's not difficult to understand that Leonard's high standards could be easily compromised in making a switch. If the sound and ambience are not what he feels are to the audience's expectations, he's not going to take the risk, just for the sake of putting on a show. We all know too well how dismal the outcome of such a decision could be. PLUS, as Marie has already stated, the timeframes for a sudden change of venue are simply not there. "The first thing in the morning" for today already passed long ago.

So... checking alternate schedules [already got approval from my job to stay longer... and still need to get in contact with the woman caring for my cats, as that would be a deal breaker, anyway], it seems this may not be at all affordable for me, anyway. So, I may remain amongst the bitterly disappointed... that said, I'm staying on the disappointed end and away from the bitter, because I know if there were ANY way possible for Leonard to make this happen, we would be at the merchandise table right now.

Meanwhile, instead, we are meeting a number of other Leonard Cohen fans... and that's not to be underestimated, at all! They're really lovely people, including one businessman who flew from Iraq and will be going next to Amsterdam and his friend from California. Neither of them were aware of the LC Files or Forum, so their lives have been changed by that very fact. They also [of course] weren't aware of the Cracow Event, and are considering that possibility.
We'll all [including them] be going to Tony Rigatoni's [on Beaver Creek Road in Morrison] at 7:30 PM to meet up, anyway.
It would be great if sweetdaisy would be there, too!
So, the silver linings are there and I guess it's up to us to find them.

It's surreal to have flown all this way for beauty and have that beauty dissipate before our very eyes. I sincerely feel very badly for those who flew further and on more expensive flights and with greater personal-life arrangements to make this happen, only to find that they either have to stay additional time, make more changes, and spend more money... or just have to go on and miss it altogether. I may well find myself amongst the latter.

Chin up or something like that,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Greg Ross

Re: Red Rocks 6.00pm Tuesday 6 June

Post by Greg Ross »

Greetings everyone

I'm posting three photos I took of Red Rocks at 6.00pm this evening, it was even worse when I drove back an hour and a half later, you could hardly see the venue from the road.

But hey, it's nobody's fault, Denver people assure me that it hasn't rained properly for months ad that although it has happened before, it's impossible. Just one of those things - I came so far for beauty - 12,000kms ... and 12,000ms back.
Attachments
IMGP0011.JPG
IMGP0011.JPG (48.44 KiB) Viewed 8039 times
IMGP0014.JPG
IMGP0014.JPG (18.18 KiB) Viewed 8039 times
IMGP0015.JPG
IMGP0015.JPG (36.85 KiB) Viewed 8038 times
All Good Things
Greg

Pomona

Post by Pomona »

From The Weather Channel for Denver on June 4th:

Thursday: Some clouds and possibly an isolated thunderstorm in the afternoon. High 81F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%. Oy.
mutti

Post by mutti »

Disappointed and sad the show was cancelled tonight. I flew in today from Seattle and have to leave tomorrow. If the concert had been tomorrow night I would have stayed but can't stay for Thursday. I spent the day and evening with a few of the forum members and it made it so much better. We went to Morrison for dinner and it truly is gorgeous there and the river was so loud and high from all the rain. I think it would have been an uncomfortable night if they had gone ahead but I am sad.
For all of you who can stay or live close and get to go on Thursday it will be amazing..the area is magnificent.
For me I felt so close to being in the prescence of Leonard and his band Live that I can still taste it and hear the songs in my mind..all day long...alas its not to be...hopefully they will come back in the fall and I can see him again.
One thing I am glad is that I jumped and spontaneously decided on Thursday to come. I will try not to think of the money I spent to get here. I see it was good to just go for it...and for me is what's important.. Life's too short to not go for what you want..and still you may not get it..I will be thinking of you all on Thursday and I am glad to have met some of the forum members. A crazy day to say the least..thanks Mary, George, Kelsey, Lizzie, Dianne, Roman, Gregg and Michelle.
Mutti aka Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”