CONCERT REPORT: New York, Feb 19 at the Beacon

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
bridger15

Re: New York, February 19, 2009 - Beacon Theatre Show

Post by bridger15 »

Maarten wrote:Hi,
I have uploaded some photographs I took during the Beacon Theatre concert.
Enjoy: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 92&l=c5e5d

Maarten
FANTASTC shots. Thank you so much for sharing.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
dick

Post by dick »

Add my thanks and praise --

Great shots Maarten!

dick
John K.

Post by John K. »

As Paul Westerberg once wrote, "Color me impressed"!!! Bravo!!!!
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Maarten,
These are fantastic!!! Thank you! Were you sitting on stage :lol: ?
Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Great photos Maarten. I was also wondering where you were sitting. Plus you captured some very poignant pictures of Leonard. Well done.

Frisco
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Pomona

Post by Pomona »

Thanks so much, Maarten - what a treat.
You've captured him brilliantly . . . and I'm back at the Beacon.
May 4 1985 Berklee Boston / Feb 19 2009 Beacon NYC / May 29 2009 Wang Boston / June 4 2009 Red Rocks / Dec 15 2012 Wang Boston
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi all,

Thank you for all the warm appreciation regarding my photographs. It's a pleasure sharing them with all the forum members - active or passive. I was sitting in the 5th row, slightly to the right (towards mr. Mass that is), which is the best side because you get a good look at the girls (I know, typically male...) and mr. Cohen kneels down right in front of you.

I'm not a professional photgrapher at all, but I've got a steady hand and some very basic knowledge of photography... I must be a natural talent! :)

In case you want to see more pics of other concerts, go here:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 1362291292

Or some video clips:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaartenLC

Enjoy and "it's getting kinda chilly out there so don't catch a cold",
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
lightning

Post by lightning »

You really did a great job with both stills and video Maarten. We are lucky to have that photographic and videographic record. What cameras were you using? I'm still learning the craft. And glad to see you subscribed to my YouTube channel, lightning494!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

FINALLY! Need to get to bed, so I'll watch the videotaping tomorrow. For now, #2, #34, #46 ~ WoW. All of them, really, the colour and smoothness of the photos is incredible! Really fine job, Maarten. Thank you so much for posting them. These are great!!!

You sure made the best of your time in New York. Right down to the Hotel Chelsea 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Lostlyric

Post by Lostlyric »

Hi Everyone:

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, pics and videos. It brings everything to life for the rest of us. In fact your personal experiences made me feel like I was there myself. And the encounters some of you had with Leonard....a pure delight....and I found myself melting with your warmth and love (and shelter ;-) . All your experiences combined with Lizzy and Dumbjaw's finely detailed ones with pics breathed life into them.

I saw Leonard perform here in Toronto in June last year with the deepest of pleasure. From then on for quite a while as Leonard toured the world, lovers, aficionados and admirer's of Leonard and his work in the U.S. had been extremely disappointed that no tour dates had been set. But now hearing your experiences at the Beacon Theatre I guess Leonard was simply warming up before he performed in the U.S. and without question all of you now confirm at first-hand that Leonard did truly take Manhattan....or perhaps stormed it is more like it. It sounds as if the NYC performance was especially enriched all the more because so many of you know each other from this forum. I wish I'd been there....it sounds like a more wholesome experience....not limited to the theatre venue but spilling out into the city. I guess this is as it should be, because Manhattan itself is special.

Thanks again everyone,

Warm wishes,

Biraj
"So if you're sitting all alone and hear a-knocking at your door and the air is full of promises, well buddy, you've been warned!!!"

Nick Cave on love
EmerTerry

Re: CONCERT REPORT: New York, Feb 19 at the Beacon

Post by EmerTerry »

Hi

I have just joined the forum and saw your request for a photo of the "Sold Out" sign at the Beacon on 19 February. I have a photo of it but have no idea how to get it to you! My friend, Anna, who is a long standing member of the forum is away for two weeks and when she gets back I will ask her to show me how to get this photo to you. I queued for 4.5 hours hoping to get a ticket for the concert - no luck! However, we met some great people on the queue and I have tickets for Leonard's concert here in Dublin in July. He played here last June and words cannot describe the night...
Dumbjaw

Post by Dumbjaw »

deborahehrlich wrote:Also, did anyone happen to get a photo of the Beacon sign where it said "Leonard Cohen Sold Out"? We were so thrown off by the t-shirt incident that we forgot to take a shot ourselves.
This is a few years late, but I actually do have this:

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That photo couldn't possibly be more perfect, Dumbjaw!
The colours are vibrant and you have the entire theatre name and marquee, all the way to the sidewalk, with nothing being cut off. The bright gold of the evening theatre lights and the marquee shimmer!

WONDERFUL photo... and a few years is never too late! I hope Anna had an enjoyable couple years, too ;-) !

Thank you so much for this valued photo.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Just uploaded to YouTube by "Mr Eddie" - it is audio from this show - Beacon, Feb. 19, 2009 (EXCELLENT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD5n2br_ILo
Leonard Cohen - 2009 New York
Published on Jun 27, 2015

Leonard Cohen
Beacon Theatre, New York, February 19, 2009.
Very good FM recording; not complete show.

00:00 Dance Me To The End Of Love [5:34]
05:34 The Future [6:49]
12:24 Chelsea Hotel No. 2 [4:06]
16:30 Tower Of Song [7:16]
23:47 Suzanne [3:43]
27:30 The Partisan [5:13]
32:43 Hallelujah [7:49]
40:33 A Thousand Kisses Deep [3:23]
43:56 Take This Waltz [9:20]
53:17 So Long, Marianne [6:27]
59:44 First We Take Manhattan [6:29]
1:06:14 Democracy [5:18]

Christmas 2008, Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah was No. 1 on the UK Christmas singles chart (the song was covered by X Factor winner Alexandra Burke). While that’s mighty fine showing for the 74-year-old singer-songwriter, that has not stopped Cohen, who toured Australia in January-February, from donating US$200,000 to the victims of the country’s bushfires.

After leaving Australia, Cohen played his first American concert in 15 years at the Beacon Theatre in New York on February 19. With his voice low, Cohen sounds like a very much sweeter Tom Waits but it is his meditative delivery that makes this ideal for late-night listening.

This is what Jason Gross, in the Village Voice, reported: “Decked out in an appropriately black suit, he was almost sprightly, kneeling and buckling and shuffling and swaying to his mid- and slow-tempo songs, his gaze trained dramatically skyward and his eyes closed as he clutched the mic. Even his voice had regained its gravelly hush, sounding better than it has on his last two albums.

“And while his eerie upscale-lounge-lizard persona still gives off chills (especially on the lusty “I’m Your Man”), it’s his latter-day apocalyptic visions that carry the most resonance in these shitty post-millennial times. “Everybody Knows” now sounded less like doomy fiction and more like he was gloomily reciting present-day headlines; he particularly savored the frightening chorus of “The Future” (”It is murder”).”

----------------
Thanks to tamlyn for sharing the tracks with us and to herzog777 for the artwork.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

sturgess66 wrote:Just uploaded to YouTube by "Mr Eddie" - it is audio from this show - Beacon, Feb. 19, 2009 (EXCELLENT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD5n2br_ILo
Leonard Cohen - 2009 New York
Published on Jun 27, 2015

Leonard Cohen
Beacon Theatre, New York, February 19, 2009.
Very good FM recording; not complete show.
I'm assuming this is the widely available NPR broadcast.

W

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”