CONCERT REPORT: New York, Feb 19 at the Beacon

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MaryB

Re: New York, February 19, 2009 - Beacon Theatre Show

Post by MaryB »

Lizzy,

What an incredible, incredible encounter, made so because of the way you handled it! Because of your beautiful description, it allowed me to be the one sitting in your covetous spot. Thank you so much for allowing others to share this experience vicariously - what a gift you gave us.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lightning

Post by lightning »

"To Know Him is to Love Him" was Phil Spector's first hit song. Those were the words written on his father's tombstone. It was sung by the Teddy Bears. The hit by the Pony Tails from that era was "Born Too Late."
Curious that Lizzy should think of it in her vignette about meeting Leonard at Joe's Pub. How kind that she asked him to sign her friends books before her own.
Last edited by lightning on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jnap47

Post by jnap47 »

Does anyone have pictures from the show? I took a few but they are kinda far off. I was in the 3rd row of the Loge and the shots came out a little too far. If anyone has any close ups of the band and LC it would be much appreciated!

I still can't wipe the smile off my face from this show. It was an unbelievable night. I hope I can get tickets to the May 16th show.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you for being my memory, Lightning 8) :D 8) . That song was integral to my heart in those days, though obviously not necessarily the name of the group that sung it ;-) ... The Ponytails/The Teddy Bears ~ both such sweet images to be the name of a group. It was a song that expressed exactly how I felt... and knew how I felt, as written in my young-girl's diary... I was precocious in love. My former husband and I met when I was 12 [7th grade] and he was 11 [6th] and when that wonderful song came out, it said it all. I sang it often, directly from my heart.

Phil did a wonderful thing with its lyrics and melody, poignancy everywhere. Gratifying, too, that it should be the one that he chose for his father's tombstone... it applies to my own father, as well, though he was cremated. Still... father, former husband, Leonard. You're right that it's curious that so many years later, Phil Spector should be summoned to express how I feel about Leonard, how Phil felt about his Dad [and I about mine], and how I feel about my former husband. Deep connections... look how they grew and intertwined with the years.

I'm especially sorry that your view of Leonard's show was so awfully compromised. I wanted so much better for you for so many reasons. You deserved better. When he returns to New York [and I pray those tickets aren't going to go on sale so quickly... finances remain a huge issue here], we must ensure you are seated well.

Thank you for your appreciation on the book signing. Leonard's depth of kindness was not going to let it pass; and he didn't do it right away, so I was especially struck that he remembered and thought to return to it. It made me weep just writing that sentence.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Dumbjaw ~

Would you please do me a favour and zoom in on your original of that photo and see if you can make me out in it. I'm in the fourth row, in the center, to the immediate left of the two blonde women, with a larger man on my left. The seat 'appears' empty, but it couldn't have been, as I never left it, including intermission. I may have bent down for a moment, though [couldn't you have waited just one second more to snap it ;-) ?]... but it may also be that from that distance, my dark hair and dark clothing became one and visually faded. I would love to have a zoomed-in copy of that photo, showing Leonard and his group onstage and those around me. I'm glad to know that you're in it, too, Leonard from Montreal... along with Partisan ;-) and his wife, the incomparable, Irish contingency, and my two, blonde, German friends... Ute and Frauke. If only Frauke's daughter, Nathalie, could have been there. The photo will also include Marie and Jarkko, Eija, Dick and Linda, Geoff and his wife, all in front of me! Wow... please see what you might be able to do with it, DJ.

I didn't faint ;-) , John... though it may have seemed I might :) , I couldn't have bore losing my awareness... and even though it may have seemed during applause times that I was clearly out of my mind :razz: , I was fully aware of what I was doing ;-) .

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Oscar Wilde
Paula

Post by Paula »

Lizzie - did you have a bag by your feet if so you will be bending down :lol:

I have just noticed how many forum members are browsing the forum 443. Has no one any work to do!!
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

I was thinking the same thing Paula... or has that 3 millionth visitor fecked up the whole system :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi, again, Dumbjaw ~

Your own review is so rich with history 8) . All those paths converged for you at Leonard's New York performance in the best possible way.

It's rare that we experience long-range and instant karma, all at the same time... and what happened with you on February 19th was the height of it. Your kindness to the man with the disability and your having no idea where you might end up transported you and your girlfriend to exactly where you belonged. You deserved it and I couldn't be happier for you.

Thank you for providing those wonderful photos of the venue, the so-cool items we received, the seating chart which made your story so graphically real, and the theatre photos which showed not just the inside as it was for all of us, but Leonard and his group and the huge difference in how it was for you.

This has been a long time coming for you and you were repaid in spades. Good on you in every possible way, DJ... thank you for sharing your awesome account.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Paula ~

Yes, I did... three, in fact :lol: ~ my own and the one I unexpectedly got 'from Leonard' ~ plus the one I bought "It was the hat after all," and put inside it. I tried to be as subdued as I could, as I searched in vain for the smallish, sterling silver bell I had brought, wanting to ring it a simple once during "Anthem" when Leonard sang the "Ring the bells that still can ring... " lyric, but it had inadvertently slipped out of my bag and was on the floor the entire time I searched. Thanks to Ute at intermission, and her suggestion that if it had fallen out, it likely would have rolled forward, I got on my hands and knees at intermission [if only you'd been there for that :lol: ] and found it. So, it may have been related to my bell quest that I simply don't show in DJ's photo. That was the only thing I ever bent down for...

Isn't that amazing!?! The number of people here 8) !!! Even though I'm at home, not only do I have work to do myself, but I have 15 minutes to get Pooh to the vet. So, I'm out of here!

Well, except to clarify whether that's you in the foreground of the street photo of the Beacon and the waiting crowd. I have to believe it is, but just want to be sure. Great shot!

Love,
Lizzie ;-)
~ Oscar Wilde
lightning

Post by lightning »

The Teddy Bears with Phil Spector--To Know Him is To Love Him. (He didn't necessarily write that line-- it was already written on his father's stone as "To Know him Was to Love Him" according to Ronnie Spector) .
More than one reason to weep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnUsInB ... playnext=1

Reaching for her inner Ronnette is contemporary fleur du mal singer Amy Winehouse's version: (not bad)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUW8-ttj ... re=related.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Lizzie - ahh memories :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

It is so good to read all of these wonderful reports-it sounds like a fantastic experience. Believe me I was thinking about all of you that entire evening and wishing I could be in two places at once.

Vern, I'm so happy that you were able to go. And thanks for the Bob Johnston story. I posted a link to an interview with him a while back and I thought I would put the link here, also for any new members who may have missed it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11798&p=130670&hili ... on#p130670

The article from Paul Ostermayer is great also.

I hope to see many of you at a concert in the future!

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
margaret

Post by margaret »

It looks like the pre sale has started for some of the US concerts. That'll be why there are so many people here today!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know, Paula. I felt so badly for the man to my left and Ute, and tried so hard to be low key with it. But, I don't know that there exists a way to be low key in digging through a bag, including the inner zip pocket, internally torn so that whatever you put there, inadvertently ends up beneath the liner, at the very bottom of the bag itself :roll: :lol: . My apologies to him, whoever he was; I already apologized to Ute in person, who replied, "I wondered what you were searching for... " and then gave me the suggestion that ended up producing it 8) .

Some things never change, eh :lol: ?
~ Oscar Wilde
jillian0108

Post by jillian0108 »

great show. The woman on my right was from Paris and the couple to my left were from Scotland. They named their daughter "Alexandria". Unfortunately, they had to get their tickets through scalpers. They said it was worth it, though.
Last edited by jillian0108 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”