Thanks for the tour and generosity

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
carrie osmo

Thanks for the tour and generosity

Post by carrie osmo »

I went and saw 2 of his concerts in victoria this tour,the Yarra Valley 24 Jan (which was nearly burnt out last saturday) and front row at the first Rod Laver.. Would've gone to the second concert there but we could not get into town due to bush-fires. I cannot thank LC enough for his presence here and his generosity in giving so much to the RedCross Bushfire appeal AU$200,000. what a guy! I have been collecting his albumns since I was 16 and so enjoyed the concerts. The crack up for me was my gay daughter (now 28) announced aloud at the "day on the green" concert "I Love you leonard Cohen".. After 20+ years of telling me "Mum turn that noise off", "MUM he cannot even sing", or my personal favourite "MUM why don't you just slit your wrists and be done with it" etc.. she has completely been won over.
thanks for the memories
and just thanks.......
Andrew (Darby)

Re: Thanks for the tour and generosity

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Carrie, when I heard about and saw a map of where the bushfires were active in Victoria, I wondered if Rochford winery had come under threat, so it was interesting to read your comment.

Also, I loved the story about your daughter! 8) It's always uplifting to hear about such "turn arounds" - my 25 year old son similarly changed his tune (at the age of 16), though perhaps not to such a dramatic extent. ;-) He was also at that same concert on Jan 24.:D

Cheers
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Honor

Post by Honor »

On the topic of turnarounds: I had the cute idea of posting an ad on Facebook which read "I have a spare ticket for Leonard Cohen on 10th Feb, to go to the highest bidder. Cash not acceptable, think creatively..."

I thought it was a terrific idea, given how many people I know who couldn't afford tickets. I should have posted it here!! Because either no-one saw the ad, or they simply didn't know how to respond. My 22-year-old cousin, alone, made a bid, to cook me a feast and make me a village full of people out of egg cartons - ? Creative, indeed. Trouble is, this gorgeous girl won a handsome sum of money on a TV game show, works as PA for a super-rich Melbourne family, and, had she actually had any more than a mild interest in the concert, could've bought as many tickets as she wanted. She has a nose for a bargain, though, and a deal's a deal...

You gotta love her. At interval, she turned to me and said "Well! Leonard Cohen: tell you what! I have to say I hadn't given the man much thought until 1 o'clock this afternoon... but he's damn sexy!" xx
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Honor, I like your anecdote as well. 8) It's interesting that an artist like Leonard somehow just doesn't make it onto the radar screens of many people, or at least only does so in a passing low-profile way through the commonplace means of media/music exposure. So, it's not until they see the man perform live (or at least see a performance of his on DVD/TV) that they realise what a mesmerising, warm hearted, intelligently articulate and witty performer he is! :D

Following this extensive world tour, I'm thinking there must be dozens of similar "turn around" stories out there - in fact it almost deserves its own thread here on the Forum! ;-)

Cheers
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”