CONCERT REPORT: Melbourne, February 5

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Bill's Bar

Re: Melbourne - Thursday February 5, 2009

Post by Bill's Bar »

I saw Leonard 6 times during his Summer/Fall tour in Europe, and posted a comment on the Munich thread in which I said I felt he was a bit tired on that occasion. It didn't provoke the strong reaction Ania received for her comment.!! Surely the man is entitled to be tired once in a while....!! and surely Ania is entitled to say so if that's what she thought.
(By the way what are the temperatures in Melbourne )
I've been attending concerts for about 40 years and I have no hesitation in saying that the Cohen concerts I saw last year were by far the best of any I have seen. I am hoping to take a trip to Canada later in the year to see him there. The only downside for me is that I know that any other "non Cohen "concert I go to in future will be an anti climax.!!
I think what I'm trying to say here is that to describe Leonard as "tired" is in no way being "disloyal" to the man.
And a final question...... Are the Webb sisters still turning those cartwheel tricks.??
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

If what I saw was when Leonard was tired I can't imagine what he's like when he's got full energy!!

:D
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

For me this "tiredness" issue related solely to the performance of "Hallelujah". In the earlier shows Leonard really "belted" out this song, and sent shivers down my spine with the intensity of it. In later shows he held back on this and gave a more "understated" version. Someone made a comment elsewhere that in the earlier shows he wanted to reclaim his song for himself, and I think this is probably true, though I'd say the effect on his vocal cords probably paid a part....And he tranferred the intensity to other songs such as "Partisan" and "Avalanche".

I too am amazed at his energy, running and skipping on and off the stage..... And speaking as a man about 20 years younger, anytime I get down on my "hunkers" like he does, I can't stand up again without falling over.!
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
paddieu

Post by paddieu »

yeah i envy him that ability to get up and down so easily. but theres the reward of the spiritual dedication writ large [as indeed is the whole thing :) ] maybe its not too late for me to start practising - i'm 3 yrs off that crazy dreamtime ;-)

re the 'tired' observation, there is a wider point here. Whilst I love [and I mean that !] the gushing praise and joy here and feel it to be 100% 'right', I do find myself wondering if on any one night a performance is stronger than on another. that may even come down to just individual songs being better or not.

There's no question for example that Glastonbury was stronger than Big Chill..

so i am always pleased when even a little observation such as this gets made :)
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

paddieu wrote:yeah i envy him that ability to get up and down so easily
Perfectly true! What comes to mind is the anecdote that the late Sir Peter Ustinov used to tell about how he was going to be knighted and how Buckingham Papace sent him a questionnaire in advance in which he was asked, among many other things, if he was going to be able to kneel for the occasion. He said that he replied that of course he would be able to kneel down; but getting up was going to be the really difficult part... :) Does it follow logically that Leonard should be knighted next? "Sir Leonard Cohen" sounds fine to me... 8)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
jglBB

Post by jglBB »

He would have to let down his canadian citizenship to do that and accept the bristish one.
Leonard would never do that and Canada would not accept neither.
We would declare war on the brits. :roll:
scorp

Post by scorp »

just found this: hallelujah....in melbourne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TBDwAAYi2s
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Bill's Bar wrote:... And a final question...... Are the Webb sisters still turning those cartwheel tricks.??
They certainly are ;-) and Leonard credits them with "gymnastics" as well, when acknowledging them. 8)

However, I'm not sure if they do this in every concert.

Cheers
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
kimmyop

Post by kimmyop »

Its hot in Australia right now, so everyone is tired, cranky and really really hot. Add in the fact that places haven't seen rain for months and we haven't seen green grass for years and the drab brownness and dryness really can get to you on a hot day so its no wonder Leonard might seem a bit tired. Of course the distances are a bit longer than overseas. In fact I would guess that Leonard and his crew have seen more of Australia than many of us. As to the exact temps today Melbourne is 44 deg C or 111 deg Fahrenheit. Perth (where is he is playing tonight) is much cooler about 30 deg C or only 86. We are hoping for cooler weather and rain when Leonard plays in Melbourne next week.
cheers
crimpies

Post by crimpies »

gordo

Post by gordo »

I have to say that we were both a little disappointed with the Rod Laver concert. Perhaps it was tiredness but something was certainly lacking. Leonard came on and played song after song but said nothing to the crowd. He looked down most of the concert and hid behind his hat-maybe the lights were too bright-taking it off only when he took his bows at the end of each song. It was only some time later that he said anything to the audience and unfortunately it was all rehearsed as I had read his exact same comments in a music magazine article a few days before. It was only when he gave the rest of the band a rest and came out just with his progamed keyboard and the backup singers that I started to relate to him and the music again. This was more like it. The second half of the concert was more enjoyable and the four encoures he gave were very generous. I dont know what I was expecting, perhaps I wanted to bathe in the beauty of his songs and his voice with simple instruments which dont distract from the words. The band seemed to be like a Leonard Cohen Las Vegas show band, although they were all clearly very talented musicians. They just seemed to be somehow inappropriate. Many of the songs that origionally have sparse instrumentation were "jazzed up" with pounding bass guitar or double bass and crashing drums. Unfortunately I didnt find it a spiritual experience at all. I think he should let his beautiful songs speak for themselves more and not try to "entertain" so much.
HoneyBee

Post by HoneyBee »

crimpies wrote:Some photos (not mine):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/honeybeefo ... 421521242/

How funny, I decided to register this afternoon so that I could share some photo's from last Thursday nights' concert ~ this is my Flickr album :lol:

I'm hoping to add some more photo's to this set in the next day or two. I'm still feeling in complete awe after finally having the chance to see Leonard Cohen perform live ~ just amazing!
crimpies

Post by crimpies »

Hi there HoneyBee!

I guess it was just meant to be...!
thank you for sharing your photos, I hope you don't mind that I posted the link to your flickr album.
and I look forward to seeing some more if you upload them! :D

P.S. Check your PMs if that's cool.

crimpies
crimpies

Post by crimpies »

Some newspaper articles:

Melbourne Feb 5 2009 / Melbourne Feb 10 2009 / Wellington Oct 31 2010 / Wellington Nov 1 2010 / Melbourne Nov 12 2010 / Melbourne Nov 13 2010 / Sydney Nov 16 2013
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oh wow :) I love these photos..thankyou! I didn't get to take any photos so i'm really happy to see some :D

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”