CONCERT REPORT: Melbourne, February 5

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
crimpies

CONCERT REPORT: Melbourne, February 5

Post by crimpies »

Tremendous show! Truly mesmerising.

Leonard's set list:

Hopefully someone can upload some cool photos.
cpl593h

Re: Melbourne - Thursday February 5, 2009

Post by cpl593h »

well done in grabbing the set list!

did they do any of the 'extras' such as closing time or sisters of mercy?
Xinea

Post by Xinea »

Yes they did sister of mercy, but a little disapointed after a milion oncores, no closing time. Best night ever though! just listening to people around me after, everone cried or almost at some stage. Just moving, just so happy I was part of it.
Xinea

Post by Xinea »

He was gratious and fun, he gave himself enough to connect with every person but remain a charming enigmy.
mark

Post by mark »

One of the best concerts I have ever seen. Just amazing. Much better than Neil Young or The Hold Steady who I also saw in concert in the last couple of weeks. Mr Leonard Cohen was happy, appreciative, personable and in great form. He gave us a greatest hits set, not a bunch of obscure songs with the odd hit thrown in. (as Paul Kelly did last night and Neil Young did last week) He played for three hours with a short interval in-between. I am so glad I saw him. In thirty years time when his long gone and my grandkids are still listening to his music, I will be proud to tell them that I saw Leonard Cohen in concert. I thought his backing band were great.

One slightly amusing moment was Leonard Cohen introducing his band twice within about 30 minutes. Maybe it was deliberate however it appeared he forgot that he introduced them the first time. He is 74 so understandable....:) Long live the brilliant Leonard Cohen, a few of the younger artists could learn a thing or two from him.

As for the venue, after a sold out and very squashy Corner Hotel for The Hold Steady where I had everyone’s BO and bad breath all over me and a squashed Sidney Myer Music Bowel for Neil Young where all I could see was a video screen, I was very happy with the Rod Laver Arena. Sound was great and I had a good seat to plonk my little toosh.
ania

Post by ania »

he was gracious charming and disarming as always but so very tired
"It's strange. You never start out life with the intention of
becoming a bankrupt or an alcoholic or a cheat and a thief.
Or a liar." -- Raymond Carver
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Tired??? How so? What did you notice different from another concert? Do you think the heat?

Unfortunately for all you down under his concert end is near. Hopefully he will be able to rest a little before the special New York concert, and then again rest prior to starting the US/Western Canada tour in April.

I have NO idea how any of them can keep up the pace! It is awesome to me.
mark

Post by mark »

ania wrote:he was gracious charming and disarming as always but so very tired
It's the first time I have seen the great man in concert and probably the last. He didn't seem tired to me. He had more energy than most people in the audience who were 30 years+ his junior. He was skipping off the stage after 3 hours for g-d sake. My 70 year old grandpa is asleep no later than 8.30pm after taking all his tablets.

BTW I loved his two minute bow to the other band members of his band after introducing them, I thought he was taking an understandable little breather during that bow.

He is a living legend!
ania

Post by ania »

ladydi wrote:Tired??? How so? What did you notice different from another concert? Do you think the heat?
not sure if its the heat or just the tour taking its toll. it was a very very tired sounding hallelujah... he piped up a few times but overall the energy he had at the rochford winery wasnt there last night. still a beautiful moving concert, but tired.
ania

Post by ania »

mark wrote:
ania wrote:he was gracious charming and disarming as always but so very tired
It's the first time I have seen the great man in concert and probably the last. He didn't seem tired to me. He had more energy than most people in the audience who were 30 years+ his junior. He was skipping off the stage after 3 hours for g-d sake. My 70 year old grandpa is asleep no later than 8.30pm after taking all his tablets.

BTW I loved his two minute bow to the other band members of his band after introducing them, I thought he was taking an understandable little breather during that bow.

He is a living legend!
yes he is, there is no argument there. no need to get defensive. i saw him at rochford and it was a very different energy. he WAS tired last night. it was clear.
Trenton J

Post by Trenton J »

Golly, gee whiz....That's a bit harsh describing Mr Cohen as "tired"

I went along with my mom in Brisvegas the other night and I doubt whether I will ever see a concert like it ever again in my life!

I only hope I have has as much energy at his age...? A rising 74 yr old kid.

Sincerely,
Trenton
ania

Post by ania »

why on earth is it harsh as opposed to a factual observation? i didnt say he didnt sing or perform well, i said he seemed tired. crikey! :roll:
crimpies

Post by crimpies »

Review in Melbourne newspaper The Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertain ... 12443.html

Legend Cohen returns in style
February 6, 2009

LEONARD COHEN
Rod Laver Arena, February 4
Reviewer Andrew Murfett

LEGENDARY Canadian vocalist, songwriter and poet Leonard Cohen made his long-awaited Melbourne return with a lengthy, sold-out set at Rod Laver Arena.

The show, surprisingly one of summer's blockbuster music events, is part of his first Australian tour in two decades. The 11,000-strong crowd lapped up the elongated performance.

The 74-year-old has inspired artists such as Jeff Buckley, Nick Cave, Bono and Bob Dylan.

He was lured out of 15 years of retirement from touring last year after he was rendered almost penniless thanks to the alleged financial plundering of former manager Kelley Lynch.

Promoters spent two years persuading him to go back on the road.

On stage, the dapper Cohen retains a relatively nimble and energetic presence. The set list takes in classics such as Chelsea Hotel, Suzanne, Bird on a Wire, I'm Your Man, First We Take Manhattan and the much-covered song he reclaims as his own, Hallelujah.

He joked frequently through the show about his age and agility.

His long-time band was given plenty of opportunity to shine, particularly Dino Soldo, who switched between saxophone and a range of wind instruments.

Cohen returns to Melbourne next week, on Tuesday, for a second show at Rod Laver Arena.
Melbourne Feb 5 2009 / Melbourne Feb 10 2009 / Wellington Oct 31 2010 / Wellington Nov 1 2010 / Melbourne Nov 12 2010 / Melbourne Nov 13 2010 / Sydney Nov 16 2013
Sister M

Post by Sister M »

With much anticipation, and fear I would be seeing a frail old man, I atended the Leonard Cohen concert last night. It is hard to put into words how it affected me. My fears were most certainly unfounded. What an absolutely fabulous concert. Not only was it entertainment, but an unforgetable experience. My husband and I have been Cohen fans for more than 30 years and have all his albums. He performed a good variety from his albums, all of which I was able to sing along to. I hope nobody heard me. I was hoping he would do 'Closing Time', but sadly not. This was my only disappointment. I can't believe somebody his age has so much stamina and agility. Perhaps that is because as a nurse I am used to hanging out with sick old people. I digress. :) The performance was pure Cohen. The supporting band and singers were fantastic. And what an array of instruments they played. There was a lot of talent on stage last night, and not just Mr Cohen. As for being tired, I don't know about Mr Cohen, but I sure was. He was on stage for 3 hours, excluding interval. The concert was such an experience almost spiritual. I have never seen the like before and probably never will again ... That is until we go again on Tuesday night. Just bought more tickets, will be taking our 27 yo son this time.

Thank you Mr Cohen.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

The concert last night was amazing. He is amazing. TRULY. I got into him a few years ago (am eighteen now) and I love him. I feel so blessed that I was able to see him live...he is just beautiful. I cried and laughed and cried and screamed and was so moved...truly...it was such a spiritual concert. He sends this calmness over you...so much light and love and light...he fills the room with light. I got goosebumps the moment he stepped out...I couldn't believe it :) Ahhh. The best concert I have ever been to...will never forget it...amazing, simply amazing. He is warm and witty and gentle and funny... :D

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”