CONCERT REPORT: Brisbane, February 3

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Laura

Re: Brisbane, Feb 3

Post by Laura »

Andrew (Darby) wrote:
Interestingly, since posting this review of the concert experience for me, I've spoken with two Toowoomba people who had more negative or underwhelming experiences, so I now can't assume that seeing a concert in itself will necessarily be either a rapturous experience or make everyone a new-born devotee! :(
That's why I didn't try to take any non-converted friends to the concerts, or my mother (I am very close to my mother, but let's say she looks on my musical tastes with an accepting-though-totally-puzzled expression). I'd hate to see that something that is such an overwhelming experience for me may mean next to nothing for someone else. Ok, we can't discuss tastes...

Laura
NickShears

Re: Brisbane, Feb 3

Post by NickShears »

Laura wrote:I didn't try to take any non-converted friends to the concerts, or my mother (I am very close to my mother, but let's say she looks on my musical tastes with an accepting-though-totally-puzzled expression).
That's sad, but not unusual. My mother is in England (and in her 80's and very unwell) and would have loved to have gone to the concert with us. Or to have been able to go to one of the UK concerts last year. But she did see Leonard with me in 1988, so we have shared the experience once.
Nick,
London 1979, London 1983, London 1988, Brisbane 2009
B4real

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Brisbane, February 3

Post by B4real »

You could say that I’m just a wee bit late with my report :razz: I was at this concert but hadn’t joined the forum yet. To answer some previous questions in this thread – I had no trouble with the sound quality (maybe I was too mesmerised!) and about getting good seats here, I rang up and got centre 2nd row seats; just lucky I guess!

I remember thinking at the time how unbelievable it was that Leonard was coming back to Australia after such a long time .... 24 long, long years in fact! Before this show in 2009 at The Entertainment Centre, Boondall, Leonard had only been once to Brisbane in 1985 at the Concert Hall, Qld Performing Arts Centre, South Bank. When he first came to Aussie shores it was in 1980 but he never got to Brisbane.

What actually prompted me to finally post this was while doing some recent file housekeeping with concert photos I’d taken, I came across the following pics from this 2009 concert in Brisbane. Not the best quality and it will be the same camera I will be using in less than a month, so apologies for now and in advance.

Here is a pictorial chronological record of some of the moments in time from this most memorable concert. I hope everyone enjoys my very belated contribution.
Paul Kelly and his nephew open the concert
Paul Kelly and his nephew open the concert
Bird On The Wire
Bird On The Wire
Chelsea Hotel #2
Chelsea Hotel #2
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Leonard talks “my mother’s warning”
Leonard talks “my mother’s warning”
Leonard says: You know, when I first left Montreal (I was very young) to go to New York to kind of penetrate show business, my mother said to me, “Now you be careful with those people Leonard, they aren’t like us”. And you know, she was right!
Tower Of Song
Tower Of Song
The Gypsy’s Wife
The Gypsy’s Wife
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

The Partisan (Dino, Javier and Bob)
The Partisan (Dino, Javier and Bob)
Boogie Street (Sharon Robinson)
Boogie Street (Sharon Robinson)
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
B4real

Post by B4real »

I’m Your Man
I’m Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep (recitation)
A Thousand Kisses Deep (recitation)
Famous Blue Raincoat
Famous Blue Raincoat
B4real

Post by B4real »

Leonard introducing If It Be Your Will
Leonard introducing If It Be Your Will
If It Be Your Will (the Webb sisters)
If It Be Your Will (the Webb sisters)
I Tried To Leave You (end of)
I Tried To Leave You (end of)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Wither Thou Goest
Wither Thou Goest
Final thank you to Brisbane
Final thank you to Brisbane
Final look for Leonard leaving stage with hand on heart
Final look for Leonard leaving stage with hand on heart
Now that's coloured up this thread nicely :D
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Thanks, Bev, for your photographic addition from that night... better late than never. ;-)

Moreover, it was actually nice to see a photo of Paul and Dan Kelly too. 8)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Much better late than never - always appreciated! Thank you Bev. Hard to believe you weren't a forum member at the time. Seems like you've been here always :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
holydove

Post by holydove »

Bev, I love it that you posted your concert report four years & 8 months later - :lol: - thank you!!

I also love it that Leonard told the story about his mother's warning ("those people - they aren't like us") - I don't think he's told that wonderful story since the '80's (or maybe '93, hard to remember, but I think it was the '80's - either way, I'm pretty sure it had been a few decades since we heard that one!!) It's also very interesting that this time, he said, "I was very young", because in the '80's (or whenever it was), he used to say, "even though I was already a grown man, my mother told me. . .". Just goes to show how time & age can change one's perspective!

Thanks for the great report & photos. I think I enjoyed it even more than if you had posted it at that time, & no, it is never ever too late!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Andrew, Mary and Rachel,
So glad you all enjoyed it! I was actually going to post here after I joined but I thought it was too late to do so :razz: ..... seems the fates would have me do it now! I can’t believe how quickly those years have flown by. I was compelled to listen to this whole Brisbane 2009 concert last night and it seemed like it was yesterday and I could see myself sitting there so close to the stage, soaking it all in. Very interesting to hear how the songs have grown and altered from then to now. Not just musically but Leonard’s voice and delivery as well.

For the record, I thought I would add the complete “word for word” transcript of ‘My Mother’s Warning’:

“Thanks, thanks so much for staying, it’s a school day. You know I had a few difficulties ah, in my own personal life and ah, fortunately I got wiped out financially and it caused me to go back on the road. (loud applause) I don’t recommend bankruptcy as a spiritual discipline. You know, ah, when I first left Montreal, when I was very young; left Montreal to go to New York to kind of penetrate show business, my mother said to me, ‘You be careful with those people Leonard, they aren’t like us’..... And you know, she was right!”

I will be at this venue for the third time on 30th November 2013 and I promise my report won’t take near 5 years to post this time, but who really knows :lol:
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Thanks for the report and photos Bev. Better late than never and good to have something to keep us occupied until the tour down under starts. Looking forward to your reviews and photos of the upcoming concerts, whenever you get around to posting them ;-) :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
anny

Post by anny »

thank you Bev for posting your report and pictures- even after nearly 5years I really enjoyed !!! :D
now I'm very excited to see your 9 (hopefully 10) reportS from the 2013 concerts !!!! :)
but...... take your time no pressure Bev ;-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

My absolute pleasure to do this, Gwen and anny,
If it hadn’t been for the tour finally coming back to Australia, my initial post would never have happened – a bit of kismet here!
And as both of you and Andrew, Mary and Rachel have said, I think it was more enjoyable to reflect on that night now :)

Gwen, as you well may have guessed, I hope to take some photos of Leonard’s hands :D

anny, another kismet moment – that’s three times in one day I have been told those exact words “no pressure” with reference to the coming tour!
And yes, I’m going to be very busy very soon!

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”