Isn't it a bit warm out there?

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Pete

Isn't it a bit warm out there?

Post by Pete »

I hear that Australia is 'suffering' very high temperatures.

Is leonard wearing his hat?? Hope he doesn't overheat.

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Irene Teresa

Re: Isn't it a bit warm out there?

Post by Irene Teresa »

Its been stinking HOT!!! almost 100 degress on your scale. Leonard seems fine. Last night after the sun when down and it dropped a few degrees he said ' hope you all have your woolies, its gettin chilly now. but if not sit closer to the person next to you '

someone called out ' id like to sit closer to you! '

i wonder who that was ? :shock: LOL
caitsith01

Post by caitsith01 »

100... try 114F (45.7C) in Adelaide last week! We have been having overnight lows in the order of 35C, i.e. 95F. Today is looking like our first day in 7 days where the temperature will not exceed 40C/104F - instead it will be a positively chilly 39C/102F.

At the show in South Australia it would have been a solid 35-40C during the day, but it cooled off nicely as the night wore on. Still, very hot when he started playing.
Fontana

Post by Fontana »

February 6, 2009
'Worst day in history'

Victorians should cancel whatever plans they may have had for tomorrow and take whatever steps necessary to prepare for what Premier John Brumby is calling the "worst day in the history of the state".
With temperatures set to soar to the mid-40s throughout Victoria, Mr Brumby said the conditions were worse than those that preceded the devastating bushfires of Ash Wednesday or Black Friday.
http://www.theage.com.au/

^^ LC, must be pleased he doesn't have a concert scheduled in Melbourne tomorrow night.
skipper1967

Post by skipper1967 »

43.9 or 111.2 as I type this message.
Pete

Post by Pete »

It's a little cooler here :D
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Fontana

Post by Fontana »

The bushfire toll has now reached 84, the temperature here yesterday reached 47 (117 deg). The number of dead is likely to rise even further as blazes continue to ravage Victoria with almost 312,000 hectares affected.

At least 650 homes have been destroyed and approximately 4000 people have registered with the Red Cross.

My thoughts and prayers are for the families who have lost their homes and of those who perished and suffered severe burns. Bravo to our brave CFA volunteers, the Red Cross staff, police & ors who are working tirelessly to fight the ongoing fires.
airwalk

Post by airwalk »

I echo your thoughts-for the loss of life(both human and animal as well as the beautiful countryside) and property. Its indeed a beautiful part of the country being destroyed and it is sickening that a lot of the fires are deliberately lit. Hope fires near Bright don't flare wither as I have family there. My thoughts are with those that have lost anyone or anything.
ladydi

How tragic....

Post by ladydi »

My thoughts and prayers are also going out to all the people of Victoria. What devastation to a beautiful area and what a frightening and terrible loss of life. It seems the fire is so fast that people are not able to outrun it. How sad also to think of all the animals killed. I pray it may be contained soon and if indeed any of these were deliberately set, may the authorities catch those who did this.

Diana
Pete

Post by Pete »

Have just watched the news... the accounts and pictures of the devastation are horrific. This is not good.
They say the temperatures are dropping but the fires rage on..no sign of rain and the winds are still blowing :(
Pete
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Will the concert in Melbourne, scheduled for Tuesday, still be on under these circumstances?
" ........... if one can describe as serious the confused comedy of our lives". Graham Greene, "The Comedians".
kimmyop

Post by kimmyop »

It is bizarre, sad and surreal to think that at the end of January we were listening to Leonard at the Rochford Winery, yesterday the area the winery was under threat from bushfires and a concert there cancelled. We are the lucky ones in Melbourne and feel for our friends and collegues who have lost everything who only live 20mins away.
flopearedmule

Post by flopearedmule »

This has been posted in the news section but just to repeat:
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_ ... b153a853ed

Veteran Canadian songsmith Leonard Cohen and his Australian touring party have thrown their support behind victims of the deadly bushfires currently raging through the Victorian state of Australia.

Cohen and his touring support act Paul Kelly, together with live music firms AEG Live U.K. and Michael Gudinski's Frontier Touring Company, have jointly donated $200,000 Australian ($133,000) for the cause.

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”