CONCERT REPORTS: Sydney, January 28 and 29

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mikeaus

Re: Sydney Concerts

Post by Mikeaus »

Just back in Canberra from the Sydney concert. Just amazing and my wife and I met the great man. I just need to work out how to upload the picture (help!).
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa »

OH wow you MET HIM ??? impressed. I use photobucket to upload pics. just open a free account and click upload. then paste the link here.
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

My wife and I met the wondeful Leonard in Sydney on Wednesday and then enjoyed the best concert ever. The fulfillment of a life's dream.

Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
pointofviewpoint1983

Re: Sydney, Jan 28

Post by pointofviewpoint1983 »

Yeah, I have been thinking about the whole camera shooting thing.
I'm more of a couple of shots kinda guy and be done with it.
And even then, I don't own a camera, so i'm borrowing one
for the Hunter show.

People use cameras for all kinds of celebrations...
in fact even for some mundane scenes as well.

Maybe one day, i'll have demetia
and before I legally end my life,
or a loved one does it for me...
they'll hand me the picture or two
from that gig in the Hunter that time...
and it'll all come back to me

perhaps ;)

AND we all shouldn't forget the whole
hold a camera out at arms length
and take a shot of some smiling compatriots...

So: Say no to strobe
and say yes to uh...
pointofviewpoint1983

Post by pointofviewpoint1983 »

moderation :)
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa »

OH WOW!!!

however you manged to meet him and get such a delightful photograph its wonderful !!!!something to teasure! God bless you

Thanks so much for sharing it. I think its many of our lifes dream too hee hee. BUt hed be there all night to meet us all :P
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa »

yes moderation.

non flash shots are often nicer. for me its fine to film or take pics but turn the flashes off. and consider others at least that way.

Thanks for that amazing photo Mikeaus
canuck

Post by canuck »

mikeaus -

Leonard's right. It's all about the hat.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Mikeaus wrote:My wife and I met the wondeful Leonard in Sydney on Wednesday and then enjoyed the best concert ever. The fulfillment of a life's dream.
You cannot deprive us of the details of this encounter. Pleeeeease do tell!
Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

Well here we go Mary

Two weeks ago I was booked for a conference in Fiji. Due to the terrible cyclone, the conference had to be transferred to Sydney and we were lucky enough to be able to hold the conference at a great hotel opposite Hyde Park. When I left the hotel I forgot to take my phone re-charger with me. I emailed the hotel and told them that I would be back in Sydney for the Leonard Cohen concert on Wednesday and that I would pick up the re-charger on Thursday morning.

My wife and I drove to Sydney from Canberra on Wednesday and had plans to have dinner at the Haymarket and then off to the Entertainment Centre for the concert of our life. As we had arrived in Sydney a little earlier than planned, we decided to that we would go and collect the re-charger on Wednesday afternoon rather than the next morning. I had mentioned to my daughter that it would be a fulfilment of my wildest dream to meet Leonard Cohen, to shake his hand and to thank him for adding so much to the world.

We walked to the hotel at Hyde Park as we were staying in Macquarie Street. We made our way to the reception at the hotel and we noticed a small group of people sitting in the hotel foyer. We suddenly realised that we were in the presence of the great man himself. What to do? My burning ambition to meet Leonard overcame my hesitation and I grabbed his hand and thanked him for being part of my life for over 40 years. He was wonderfully gracious and one of the band members offered to take our picture with Leonard.

That’s it Mary. One of my life’s ambitions/dreams fulfilled as a result of a mobile phone charger. Halleluja!
Henning

Post by Henning »

Mikeaus

that's such a great story. I love pieces like this and Leonard looks so happy and well. What a difference to when he showed up at the Green Note Cafe in October 2007 when he looked more frail and bearing all the worries about the upcoming world tour. And you were so right when you said that he has been part of your life for over 40 years. When I met Leonard on Hydra in 1980 by pure coincidence, my words to him were "I have searched for you for my whole life". And I was 22 then. And he said: "Well, here I am".
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
canuck

Sydney January 29

Post by canuck »

What a terrific show tonight, I think it was better than last night.

He also added "Sisters of Mercy" and replaced "Democracy" with "Closing Time" (one of my personal favourites).

The crowd seemed a lot more into it tonight,and the band was on fire. Leonard seemed to be in even better voice (if that's possible) than the night before.

At the end he introduced Rob Hallett (American Promoter) so maybe they were all on their best behaviour for the boss :)

Two nights in a row with Leonard and the band. What a treat.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Mikeaus and Henning,
It is so wonderful to read about these priceless encounters - thank you so much. As kind and gracious as the man is, how does anyone get beyond those few words exchanged? There must be a plethora of thoughts and words on the inside but, do they actually escape? Were either of you able to get beyond the awe of finally meeting Mr. Cohen to boldly venture into a conversation? It just seems like such a difficult thing do.
Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
dce

Post by dce »

Leonard's Sydney show on the 28th was a truly magic occasion ... the crowd wasn't quite as over-the-top as the winery show I saw in Adelaide (and I would have to put my hand on my heart as one of the culprits on the earlier occasion) ... but was still very much enraptured by the whole performance.

The thing that struck me most profoundly was the sight of the entire thousands-strong audience in the Sydney Entertainment Centre on their feet for multiple very stirring standing ovations. Truly magic moments. And clearly Leonard was moved by the crowds adoration ...

(more later)

dce (on the road)

Dean Engelhardt
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
dce

Re: Sydney January 29

Post by dce »

canuck,
it's interesting you say that the crowd at last night's (29th) LC show seemed to you more engaged ... of the three shows I've now seen, this was the most subdued crowd (at least from where I sat). The bands performance was still top-notch, although I think LC's voice was a little below it's best -- probably due to the lack of "rest day" in between shows.

Also ... spotted quite a few Oz 'celebrities' in the audience last night. There were a bunch of musos sitting near where I was: I spotted Jimmy Barnes in a group with Don Walker and Tex Perkins. And in another group ... I'm sure that was James Valentine. And the woman sitting next to me reckons she spotted Paul Keating out in the foyer!

dce (on the road)

Dean Engelhardt
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”