CONCERT REPORTS: Sydney, January 28 and 29

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mikeaus

CONCERT REPORTS: Sydney, January 28 and 29

Post by Mikeaus »

By my calculations the Sydney concerts are concerts number 90 and 91 of Leonard's tour. A truly remarkable feat. All the more remarkable considering the reviews that the concerts have received in Canada, Europe, New Zealand and Australia. Wednesday in my big night. :lol: Bowral after that. Finding it hard to sleep with all this excitement.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
Irene Teresa

Re: Sydney Concerts

Post by Irene Teresa »

Youre so RIGHT@ 90concerts is amazing!~~! Tahnk you so so so much for this priceless gift Leonard!

Im going wednesday and bowral too! They are selling wednesday front row on ebay now for 220!!!!! wish id waited - wow
margiegras

Post by margiegras »

Can Anyone tell me what time LC might come on stage & what time he might play until - I am hoping my friend can get in after work for at least some of the gig!
dce

Post by dce »

Margiegras,

Based on the shows so far, it looks like Paul Kelly's set is about 45 minutes, with about 15 minutes between that and Leonard starting. So ... assuming the concert starts around 7:30ish, I would reckon the timings might be:

7:30 - 8:15 Paul Kelly on stage
8:30 Cohen on stage for first set (1 hr)
9:30 - 9:50 customary 20 minute break
9:50 - 11:50 second set plus encores

Of course this is just guesswork ... but maybe it helps your planning

dce

Dean Engelhardt
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
margiegras

Post by margiegras »

Thanks for that, it really helps , my friend was considering not coming cause she wont get there til abit after 10 but at that rate its worth it!
margiegras

Sydney, Jan 28

Post by margiegras »

Thank you Leonard
Just left your Sydney Concert, you were magnificent, wonderful, the best most cheerful, fun, generous performer that I have ever had the luck to witness.
Look forward to seeing you again on Saturday
canuck

Sydney January 28

Post by canuck »

What a terrific night we had in Sydney! I don't want to add too much to what has already been said about other shows, and I'm sure people will post their own perspectives of tonight in due course.

I'm sitting here, writing this, because I always need time to "come down" after terrific nights of music. This was definitely one of them.

I was really impressed with not only Leonard but his musicians, and especially Leonard's generosity towards those musicians. Everyone got their moment to shine. He even closed the show with the crew on stage, and thanked everyone involved in the tour -- even the caterers. Very classy. Then he told us not to catch cold. How thoughtful :)

The last time I saw Leonard in concert was when "I'm Your Man" was out. I hear he was just a crazy kid then. I certainly was. The remarkable thing about Leonard's music is that it speaks to you at any age. At that time I was a typical "dark" teenager and I gravitated towards the loss in Leonard's songs. Now I see the humour and empathy in those same songs. And tonight I was glad to spend some time with them again.

An outstanding show, which really made me hope Leonard produces a lot more great work in the years to come.

I do think that audiences have changed since the late 80's as well. And nowadays one thing I do get tired of is people taking excessive pictures. I understand one or two shots -- although I'm of the opinion that you should try to enjoy the experience rather than try to fill your memory card. Leonard and the band are creating these intense emotional moments - which (a) get spoiled by some yahoo next to you getting their 100th photo of the artist and (b) the photographer completely misses because they're framing a picture. Trust me - you'd get a lot more out of feeling the emotion than a picture could ever give you.

And, quite frankly, I know a lot of artists hate flash bulbs going off in their faces during a performance. They want the chance to get into the music as well and a flash in the eyes pulls them out of it. It's rude, IMO.

But I suppose I'm now in the minority opinion based on the number of people with cameras...
canuck

First Sydney Review

Post by canuck »

Songs from a (big) room justify early ovation

Reviewed by Bernard Zuel
January 29, 2009

LEONARD COHEN

Entertainment Centre
January 28

MAYBE if his accountant hadn't been so free and easy with his money we wouldn't be seeing Leonard Cohen in Sydney. He is 74 after all and in an industry full of egos in need of stroking, he never looked like someone who couldn't exist without the roar of the crowd in his ears.

But (financial) needs must, so hallelujah for those who thought that they would never see him again. Or at all. Perhaps one reason for a standing ovation before the first song after Cohen jogged onto the stage, elegant in suit and fedora.

Still, whatever the motivation behind his first visit here in 24 years, the Canadian poet, author and songwriter can still pull a crowd as last night's baby boomer crush, including Bob Carr and Murray "the Rocking Wiggle" Cook, proved.

In Sydney there are two shows in the giant box of the Entertainment Centre (the second is tonight, with a few tickets left) and two sold-out shows this weekend at wineries in the Hunter and Bowral.

And they are not short shows either. Belying his age - he is a full decade older than both of this month's other visiting musical superannuants Neil Young and Grace Jones - Cohen's shows feature more than 25 songs and last up to three hours, including self-deprecating jokes.

Of course, with a career going back 40 years, featuring some of the greatest pieces of poetic music sung by a man whose voice was never the best and these days is rather aged, even this lengthy set list won't satisfy everyone. But there is some assurance or affirmation for us as he begins with Dance Me To The End Of Love: "Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin/dance me through the panic 'til I'm gathered safely in".

Panic? Not him with a sardonic glint in his eye and wicked wit to deploy as he follows with the droll The Future and its killer lines "Give me crack and anal sex/take the only tree that's left and stuff it up the hole in your culture … I've seen the future brother, it's murder". Take that, emo kids.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2009/01/ ... 36173.html
ladydi

Re: Sydney, Jan 28

Post by ladydi »

Hi Canuck,

I really don't think you are in the minority...well, maybe, but I certainly agree with you! I've only attended one of Leonard's concerts and this was in Copenhagen back in October. Our seats were quite a distance away, however, I have a camera with a great zoom so, yes, I did take photos, but made sure the flash was disengaged and tried to not take many. I also thought that might be the only time I would see Leonard. Now I will be attending the special NY concert in February and this time my seat is in the 6th row. Yes, I will bring my camera but ONLY for the pre-concert reception and any meet-up afterwards. During the concert I don't want to miss a second of what is happening on stage! Reminds me of once when I went whale-watching. There were almost 100 of them and I was constantly trying to position myself and frame things when I thought..what am I doing!? The camera went back in the pack and from then on I simply absorbed every moment of their beauty and gracefulness. Not meaning to equate Leonard with whales ;-) but the end result is the same! One can spend so much time trying to capture the moment, that they miss the moment.
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa »

Leonard Cohen Sydney January 28th 2009.

Even to type this will be a lie. Even to use alot of poetic words and exclamation marks will really be insulting . The expereince of seeing the Master Is mine. And Maybe some will relate and maybe some will think 'this makes no sense' Yet I do myself and the spirit of LOVE a diservice to not attempt any expression.

YOu can read a review in the paper and find lists of the songs. You can read up on the exquiste band in the progam. You can know every word to every song. Are they a story of your life too ?

Sheer utter Joy errupted from 12, 000 people as He entered. Gratitude warmth excitement . People seemed shot from their personalities into a place of Godness. Communion. Unity/. I am a concert goer people , I have seen many - most wonderful. THis greeting was cheer from the hearts of souls in waiting a cheer that shook me awake.

And they followed. Each Song, each line, each word, each gesture was held close to each. My face was a beam and couldnt see. My sufi masters , My Lord, the holy beloved, my journey from start, the human journey back to God was the story of the evening, yet it was more than a story. It was a wonder. It was as if we entered the Great Prayer that all beings are always saying inside as they seek the great LOver once again. He led us , held for us. spoke for us, and then was grateful to us for simply returned the LOve to him .

There were about a dozen full standing ovations through the show. At least. From tears to rapture to deep gratitude - all I am and belived and knew and lived was found manifest tonight. To say I love him just doesnt do it. THis isnt Love. Not as we usually know it. The G_D I KNOW , not one of religions, not one that was historical , biblical, causal, etc etc . HE was there in us around us in the music in each sound , in the Presence and in the story of life through all facets of being a human and Divine That Leonard brings as the Gift.

Truly what im typing sounds like dribble. I do know that. I left my body and was 'trippin out' I was slain in the spirit as some groups call it. I was back with my masters in Spirit. I was home. yet saying 'I' is indulgent , embrassing. It was what IT was.

Maybe Ill write something more sane tomorrow about each song etc I dont know. Leaonrd skipping on and off the stage. His humor and how There is no space between he and me. How it should be. No searching. no yearning. No looking for love or meaning. Done the journey so so long. we are Here. The age of Beauty Is here.

If it be your Will as tears fall in holiness, and you are overshadowed standing listening , by another part of your Mastery . Jakan the silent one. A Master is seen by a heart who knows. it is not an ego thing. Just is What it is.

Music a form of prayer and poetry to sneak past the mind. Worship the One Love. Thank you. thank you thank you. God thank you. And my son Got it much like me. How can I thank You ?

2 and half hours of such giving such beauty such amazing musicians such a gift . my eyes shining seeing everyone as the beloved again . Thank you thank you thank you God Bless you Leonard and ALL.

amen.

( my sons videos up tomorrow )
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Irene-Teresa,

I am speechless after reading your post. In fact tears were streaming down my face. You have laid open your soul to us and you have put into words, albeit a little disjointed at times but that's understandable, all that so many of us have felt at one time or another when we have been in Leonard's presence at a concert. Thank you from my heart for sharing yourself and your emotions with us. At the moment I can't think of any other words to say.....I'm still sort of overcome....wow.

With gratitude,
Diana
RC

Post by RC »

Leonard's first Sydney concert lived up to high expectations.
Shame about the choice of venue, but despite the lack of intimacy offered by the venue, the concert managed to mesmerise everyone present including many many "casual" fans. Overhearing conversations after the concert I heard dozens of gushing reviews and not one statement of disappointment.

I am also a Dylan fan. Often after a Dylan concert it is only the "faithful" who give glowing reviews and less ardent supporters are often disappointed. Quite the opposite with our man.
It is also usual practice after a Dylan concert to disect each song's delivery, noting subtle differences between each evening's performance. With LC the entire concert was such a polished and engaging show, that disecting it would not be appropriate.

Having said that... my personal favourites were Anthem and Tower of Song; but there was stiff competition.

Finally thanks to Kelley Lynch for encouraging Leonard to embark on this tour ;-) (sorry Leonard)
Richard
Australia
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa »

Thanks for all these. As you may have seen my sharing of experience last night was quite off the planet , yet why should I apologise ? Anyway its nice to read some more normal sharings! Be there again tonight xxxx

BTW thank you DIANE for your heartfelt reply. IT means the world to me.xxx
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa »

Even though there are some complaints about photos. I hopey youll view my son small videos when they finally upload with Love. To him, this is the way he enjoys and shares. He truly loves Leonard and got a full
expereince from the show as well as taking some videos. No flash inlvoved but a little light on his face from viewing screen. I hope it didnt bother anyone too much But hope many will enjoy the results.. I feel if somthing is done from the heart then its ok. But thats just my opinion. I did have a very large squared headed man in frnt on me ( a shorty ) Buta cricked neck is a willing sacrifice for such an evening LOL
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa »

THank you So much Diana. It means alot you replied and go the essence of my sharing. Im feeling somewhat more normal today :D we met a few of the band afterward which was wonderful too. IM getting ready to go again tonight. Hopefully be able to share ina more 'normal' manner. YEt when in the presence of the master I simply dont know what may happen! We are SO blessed!

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”