CONCERT REPORT: Wellington, January 20

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Rabbit

Re: Wellington, January 20

Post by Rabbit »

If anybody follows Jarkko's link to the Dominion Post review they will find a growing list of comments appending the article. Everybody appears to have loved the show, many calling it the best they've ever been to.

I'm so excited about my trip to see the Auckland show tomorrow night (the 22nd)!
Fabulous fabulous fabulous. A once in a lifetime opportunity and never to be forgotten.
#1 Posted by BD — 09:20 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

My husband and I were at the concert last night and it was absolutely brilliant. Couldn't fault it at all. Really professional. Stadium was absolutely packed out and he had at least 4 standing ovations. His voice has never altered over the years. Fabulous band and singers.

We need more events like that in Wellington to make it come alive!!

Sam Hunt also gave a brilliant start to it all. Well done everyone
#2 Posted by June McGregor — 09:28 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

I'm with Simon. The best show I have ever seen - A 75 year old man performing for over three hours. Such an old rascal, but so humble and gentle about it you can't help but fall in love with him and his silky set of lungs. If you haven't seen it already, check out this doco about him "I'm your man" - it was in the film festival a couple of years ago, and apart from Bono's token appearance, it is amazing.
#3 Posted by Christine — 09:44 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

I have attended many concers over the decades but this one would top my list. Cohen and his band of accomplished musicicians delivered a spellbinding performance that would be hard to beat.
#4 Posted by Ruz — 09:44 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Agree with Simon and all above - best concert ever. The sound was immaculate and the musicians/singers uniformly excellent. Leonard's delivery was sublime, his banter clever and witty and there was just the right amount of it. Will take that one to my grave.
#5 Posted by Jacko — 10:03 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Spell binding! We were in the presence of a master whose humility, humour, and songs had us mesmerized. The talented support group were the perfect complement. The TSB arena has never felt more intimate or right- we could have been in a 50's jazz bar.
#6 Posted by Anishka — 10:14 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Words can't do it justice. He and his band made that cavernous barn feel like the most intimate club. From the moment he ran - ran! - on to stage it was love. Spine tingling. Emotional. And who'd have thought he'd be funny? Thanks Leonard. Enjoy the possum scarf.
#7 Posted by Steve Matthews — 10:37 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

I was fortunate to see Cohen in the Albert Hall in 1974. I said then I would be happy to see him again even if he played in a cow shed. Last night he played in that 'cow shed'. He was more personable than '74 but brought tears to my eyes with Chelsea Hotel and The Partisan. Now my two best concerts ever are both the Master; Leonard Cohen
#8 Posted by Tyles — 10:41 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Looks like everyone kicked a goal
#9 Posted by TimD — 10:46 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Great review, a wonderful portent of the evening to come in Auckland.
#10 Posted by Warren — 10:53 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Every song a gift, exquisitely crafted, packaged with sublime skill and delivered with wit, grace and friendship.
#11 Posted by maclir — 11:02 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

The BEST concert I have ever been to. Have been a fan of Leonard Cohen for over 30 years - he sounds the best he has ever sounded. The concrt was over 3 hours and far exceeded my expectations.
#12 Posted by Catherine — 11:27 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

I had to wait 50 years to see Mr Cohen perform live - it was worth the wait !! WOW - what an amazing concert. Those who were lucky enough to be there last night will hold it in their hearts and minds for ever. Thank you Leonard for coming to New Zealand
#13 Posted by Barbara — 11:38 AM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

The most amazing show I have ever been to, bar none. Absolutely unbelievable. Uplifting, spiritual and mind-blowing. An absolutely incredible experience. Incredible!

The man himself was incomparable. And the musicians were all worthy of the great man, and he gave them each in turn the spotlight. His vocalists sent chills up my spine.

He played for about three hours. The experience was like a first-time junkie taking too big a hit... I feared my brain would explode.
#14 Posted by AdamR — 12:46 PM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Captivated from start to finish. An experience of a lifetime & certainly the finest concert I've ever attended. The man & his band are legends in our time & a was a whoppingly huge privilege!
#15 Posted by Chris Butler — 13:42 PM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

The show was the greatest, as was the man and the band.

The venue was pathetic, for me and about 15% of the audience seated far back on the sides. We booked the "best available seats" by 9 AM on the first day available, and travelled especially from Hamilton to see the great man. In our seats we had strip lights from the bar shining in our eyes, staff moving continually in the lights, boozers going back and forth. This was so distracting that one could not enjoy the music nor enter into the lighting effects - we might as well have been in the lobby. The night was rescued for me when I went the stood against the back wall half way down the hall for the 2nd part of the show. From that position it was a truly great show, so I can see how those with good seats must have loved it.
#16 Posted by Denis — 13:58 PM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009

I agree. The best concert ever and one that I thought I would never have a chance to see. That performance by all involved was a tribute to the poetry and songs that I have lived with and loved for nearly 4 decades.
#17 Posted by Doug — 16:50 PM | Wednesday, 21 January 2009
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

kaczor47 wrote:Btw, Boogie Street was sung in its entirety by Sharon. Has this been the case previously?
Yes. Throughout the UK autumn tour it was her showcase solo, just as If It Be Your Will showcases the sublime Webb Sisters.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Sasha K

Post by Sasha K »

In Wellington, doors opened at 6.45 pm. I saw several cases of people who arrived just before 7.30, to find their seats already taken by others. To my horror, I heard the staff insisting they take other vacant seats further back !!!

So my advice is: Be there EARLY, and don"t skip the opening act or you may lose your seat !
kram

Post by kram »

Wellington was a blast. I'm still buzzing and havent had my LC t shirt of the back for two days. To those who continue to ask "Who is Leonard Cohen?" I simply reply "Get a life."

Kram
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

From Sam Hunt:

After his set opening for Cohen at the Wellington show, he was momentarily blinded by the lights and fumbling to find the rail leading down from the stage. "A hand appeared to guide me down the steps - and, so, you know, I reached out and grabbed it. I didn't even know who it was, but I was grateful to have a hand to help at that point. And it was Leonard. He had been standing side of stage, listening and was there to lend a hand afterwards."
lisz

Post by lisz »

Thanks for that story.
I do wonder what Sam thought of the show, he did mention how he didnt have any back up singers like leonard. Sounded a little wistful. And i now hear an album out (sorry dont know the name) where Sam has written the lyrics.
Great to hear that LC listened to Sam Hunts poetry. He just respects everyone doesnt he. Wisht he same could be said for the people around me when i was struggling to hear sams set. Punters kept coming and going along the row, and really disturbed our listening.
lisz

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”