REQUESTS FOR WELLINGTON and AUCKLAND

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Sasha K

REQUESTS FOR WELLINGTON and AUCKLAND

Post by Sasha K »

The setlists may be shorter because of the opening act - but, dear Mr Cohen and band, if you are reading this, I would like to make some requests for these concerts.

If at all possible, could you please include :

I Tried To Leave You, The Partisan, If It Be Thy Will, By The Rivers Dark, Hallelujah,
Love Itself, Anthem, Bird On A Wire, Suzanne, and Boogie Street.

A lot to ask, but it would mean so much to me. Montreux ( July 08 ) was my first chance ever to hear Leonard live in concert. The sound was sublime, but my seat was near the back of the balcony. I am happy to say that I have GOOD seats this time !

I can`t wait to see AND hear Leonard after nearly 40 years of loving his work. I will be travelling again from Japan for the concerts - taking a break from my monastic life there.

I am sorry that precious time will be taken by the opening act, and would like to apologise to Leonard and the band for the selection of Sam Hunt, which is difficult to understand, and, in my view inappropriate. New Zealand has some gifted and innovative dancers and they would have been a better choice.

I do hope the audiences are responsive. Spike Milligan, after performing in NZ, said," In Invercargill they don`t bury their dead. They send them to the theater!" I certainly hope he was joking...

Leonard has always been an inspiration, and has helped me look forward to the future, when I hope I`ll be doing better work, regardless of age and " this old mask."

I am taking two friends to the Auckland event: one a Buddhist, the other a Christian, and me with my Jewish grandfather...all three of us in harmony and bliss around Leonard`s work. I wish I knew how Leonard does this !

His soul shines through ! I can`t wait for the concerts !

"Though I take my song from a withered limb
Both song and tree, they sing for him"

"G-d is alive. Magic is afoot".
Shockvalue

Support Artists??

Post by Shockvalue »

I've got to say at the outset that I don't really favour support acts for the big names whom we reasonably expect to perform 2 1/2 hours or so. I believe with previous concerts Lenny performs for around 3 hours. Did he have support acts for the earlier stages of the tour?
I have no idea who Sam Hunt is, but in Australia I don't think there could be a better support (if we have to have one)than Paul Kelly who is an iconic Australian performer and a headliner in his own right. Lenny and Paul should compliment each other perfectly.
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: REQUESTS FOR WELLINGTON and AUCKLAND

Post by jarkko »

Leonard's complete European concert was at the end of the tour almost 3,5 hours including 20 min interval. Some concerts were "only" 3:00 hrs because those venues had set a time limit.
No warm up artists in the European concerts (with one or two exceptions).
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Ha Ha...well I am privileged to have gone to Portugal and seen him in Lisbon...I missed my very favourite song...Dance Me to the End of Love!!!..as we were late arriving....he was singing as we all ran in the gate!...So for me at least I know with a small (I hope) support act I will be seated and ready hopefully to hear it this time...... :D ...We are in for a real treat NZ!!...whatever he sings will be just so wonderful all over again!!! for the second time in a year for me......lets not hope for any particular setlist..I hope he is still happily skipping around the stage like he was in Lisbon!... ;-)
LuNo

Post by LuNo »

I wish I could be there to see the man a second time, New Zealander.
Anyway, I hope he keeps stunning his audiences as he did to us 8) .
Cheers!
Luis

It's easy: All you need is Love [John Lennon]
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Hey Luis!!!...lovely to see you following progress right across to here...Wellington was also fantastic!. But Still Lisbon with the big full moon was very special ...I was worried that Leonard would look tired from all his busy times between here and now, but after the first few songs he was laughing and bouncing around the stage just as he was last July.....A different kind of venue indoors, but good to be able to take closer notice of the others and their instrumentals. I think the setlist was the same....and there were many standing ovations from the Wellington audience...(sometimes New Zealanders are known for their reticence at concerts...) So yes, it was so wonderful to see him again....I consider myself blessed twice in one year......

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”