No plans for Israel, right?

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Augusta Bertram

No plans for Israel, right?

Post by Augusta Bertram »

Many of us are still waiting - very, very eagerly.
We love you here very much, Leonard.

Jarkko, or anyonw who knows - do we still have hope?
i never thought we'd meet
eitanrb1

Re: No plans for Israel, right?

Post by eitanrb1 »

Please come to Israel.
We love you here !!!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

As far as I know Israel is not in the itinerary.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Inna

Post by Inna »

Dear Jarkko

"not in the itinerary" for the following Pacific and possibly USA and Western Canada legs, that we know. But is there a chance for Israel in the summer-fall tour after that, that is, of course, if Leonard decides to extend the tour? Or is that what you meant - not in the itinerary for the possible summer tour later?

Thank You for your reply.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

It's far too early to speculate about the extension of the tour - it either happens or not. The same with the itinerary & cities!
My personal feeling is that if fans in your area really want to see him in concert, it will be best to do some traveling.
This opinion is not based on facts, so I might be sadly mistaken, too.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Einat

Post by Einat »

I keep on hearing more and more about people who fly to places in Europe just in order to see a performance of Leonard ( and return with big big smiles and stars in their eyes). Naturally, it is not a solution for many fans who cannot afford or take time off for this kind of journey. I can't really understand why negotiations did succeed all around the world, and Leonard arrived and performed even to small crowds (e.g Romania) ,but somehow it didnt work out in Israel . What I also dont understand is how negotiations with the local producer who backed off , took place in the first place. Had Cohen's people simply googled the producer's name , they would see right away he has a history of cancelling rock performances , and how unreliable he is . surely they know they have to check producers history before they begin negotiations?! Something feels very wrong in this story.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Leonard arrived and performed even to small crowds (e.g Romania)
Hm... Bucharest was sold out, about 9.000 - not so small crowd I'd say
Einat

Post by Einat »

mm ok, I'll try to be more accurate and correct to: 'relatively small' . He would [b]easily[/b] attract a larger crowd here.
(and by the way hello and Merry Christmas to you and to your family Jarkko :razz: )

I'm thinking -perhaps it is not that important for Leonard to arrive to Israel , otherwise a solution would have been found a long time ago. This year, his friends Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson, Marianne Faithful, Rufus Wainwright , and hey, even Paul McCartney all found producers and all performed in Israel, so it is not quite clear to me why things couldnt sort out between Cohen's people and local producers.
Although I was lucky enough to see him at the O2 I feel disappointed and sad. I think that people who will not be able to see him perform somewhere else , are missing a truly unique experience.
Inna

Post by Inna »

I agree with Einat.
I was not able to see Leonard abroad because of personal reasons and circumstances that were stronger than my very strong desire to see him. And so are thousands of people here - people that cherish him from the 70s and 80s as well as a new generation.
I had been to Rufus Wainwright's concert here - full house at Mann Auditorium - 2700 people - it is a clear indication that a much much larger crowd will be gathered for Leonard.
I would also like to say that small places were Leonard performed this year are Greece for example, around 5,000, and Olympia, Paris - around 2000 people per night.
I am positive that there are at least 5-6000 thousand fans here, if not more, and it is indeed strange that an agreement has not been reached between his management and local promoters.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
Augusta Bertram

Post by Augusta Bertram »

Dear Jarkko,

The producer-accident was very, very sad indeed, but it also gave a very wrong impression - Leonard's Israeli fans are many and very loyal. Don't judge us according to one producer who, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't even live here and definitely doesn't feel the audience.

I already took out my savings, took a plane to Europe and saw him (I read the Israel is the country that "sent" the largest number people to attend Leonard's tour), but there are so many here, many of my friends and many more I meet and hear of, who simply can't efford this. I would love Leonard and the crew to remember us, and not mistake us with this one producer.
i never thought we'd meet
Rachely

Tour in Israel

Post by Rachely »

I'm new here, but an old old lover of LC music.
Do any of you know why, oh why, did the concert in Israel not take place, and more importantly, is there a chance of one happening?
Thanks for any relevant information and much much sublime pleasure to all of Cohen's (music) lovers.
Rachely

Post by Rachely »

Thank you very much for replying to me, Jarkko, and it feels good to know that I am part of a large group of Cohen's people here in Isarel. Maybe it's still possible to do something?! Please count me in for any such activity. I definitely don't have the money to travel overseas and was waiting so desperately for the supposed September tour.
Rachely
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

(I sent a PM to Rachely explaining what happened last summer: the local Israeli promoter did not want to take the usual financial risk involved in all concert arrangements, and stepped aside. He said in local newspaper that Leonard Cohen is not selling tickets!! I called that "understatement of the year" as at the same time ALL European concerts sold out with up to 17.000 tickets per concert!)
Einat

Post by Einat »

Hi Rachely,
you can always join our facebook group and post ideas there ..many fans have already tried, called and sent emails and prayed to the lord of all performances and that didnt seem to help so far , but keeping bringing up ideas for further action cant hurt, so feel free to join us

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 962&ref=ts
Rachely

Post by Rachely »

Hi Einat,
Thank you very much for inviting me to join. Believe it or not, I still know nothing about Facebook (probably the last one around...), so I wouldn't know what to do about it. But I went into the link you sent and it looks good. I'll try to join.
If I'm unsuccessful, please include me some other way (e-mail?) in whatever action you're taking to bring about the miracle.
By the way, I was at the concert in Jerusalem in 1985 (I'm that old..) - you can imagine how fantastic it was.
Thanks again and nice to meet you,
Rachely

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”