AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Greg Ross

Re: AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND

Post by Greg Ross »

Wonderful to see so many of us "coming out" as it were. I remember walking the streets of Auckland NZ, as a 16yr boy, clutching my Leonard Cohen LP under my duffle coat, now, all those years later, in Perth Western Australia, I've organised almost 40 friends in Silver seats and a luxury coach to take us to Sandalford and back - we can watch my treasured copy of the BBC documentary on the way to the winery and "I'm Your Man" on the way back. I've even been contacted by a local sculptor, who's made several busts of The Man, going to view them this Sunday. And I've asked my cousin in Auckland, (she's going to the show in ten days time) to buy me the pre-requisite memorabilia and send it to me post-haste - well, Express Post, as quickly as possible. So of you see some middle-aged bearded cove in a Leonard Cohen Tour T-shirt, riding a cruiser motorbike with the number plate A MUSE, you'll know the post arrived before the show!
All Good Things
Greg Ross
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
RC

Post by RC »

Hi Jarkko, I think there's a typo in the date for the 2nd Sydney concert in the first post on this thread.
jarkko wrote:Complete details....

Second date in Sydney now announced:
Thursday 20 January Sydney
Sydney Entertainment Centre

Cheers
Richard
Australia
crimpies

Post by crimpies »

Hmmm...
unfortunate scheduling, the second Melbourne concert on the same night as David Byrne? :cry:
Melbourne Feb 5 2009 / Melbourne Feb 10 2009 / Wellington Oct 31 2010 / Wellington Nov 1 2010 / Melbourne Nov 12 2010 / Melbourne Nov 13 2010 / Sydney Nov 16 2013
canuck

More tickets for the 28th in Sydney

Post by canuck »

I was on the Ticketmaster Website and noticed they found a few more tickets for the 28th in Sydney and are now selling them.
kaygee

Post by kaygee »

I was at the concert in Auckland last night and I want to warn you Aussies you are in for a treat. It was a fantastic show enjoyed by a packed Vector Arena.
This is some man to be preforming at that level at his age.He was great.
Enjoy.
mat james

Post by mat james »

I'm off to see Leonard tonight. Am hitting the road in a few minutes with great company. Life is good.
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
ania

Post by ania »

ITS TONIGHT FRIENDS TONIGHT FINALLY!!! YAAAAYYYY jarkko dicky greg elsie mike andrew bobbie judith lizzy henning megan joe and all you lovely people im forgetting its finally happening!! :)
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Ania, your excitement is palapable - so great to share this with us! :D

I can't wait to hear from you, Tim and our other Cohenite friends, about the experience of (what I'm assuming is) Leonard's first winery gig! 8)

Cheers
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Alice de Basque

Post by Alice de Basque »

L Cohen at Rochford Winery. Sublime. Worth getting up at 1am, driving, flying, then more driving just to be there to hear him sing just to me! I'm still basquing in his sunshine - and can't wait for the concert "just down the road" in Brissie for more. I had thought I was rather tragic needing to have tickets for both the Winery in Melbourne and the Brisbane concert, but now that I know that people flew over from NZ, and no doubt further, for another dose, I feel quite normal. Funny how Leonard always does that for you.
Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering
martin ross

Post by martin ross »

I saw the show in Brisbane last night, pretty awesome. What a gentleman also. He even skipped of the stage at the end of the set.

Best of all by shear coincidence I met him in the club room at the Sofitel in Brisbane this morning. Such a gent, he signed my c.d. and shook my hand. Thanks to the gods for making my year..!!
Virg

Post by Virg »

NickShears wrote:Within minutes of the presale having opened, I am floating on cloud 9, the proud owner of excellent (section S47A) tickets to see Leonard in Brisbane on 3rd Feb!

I'm not even thinking about the credit card bill!

:D :D :D

Nick in sunny Brisbane

Hi Nick
This is so funny.....I am new to this forum but just wanted to share with you That I tooo was thrilled to get tickets to see Leonard in Bris 3rd Feb ....and I was sitting in the same section as you (S47A) .... what seat were you? ... I was seat 55. I so enjoyed every second of it ....I have been to many many concerts but I can say that I have never been so mesmerised (?sp) anyway I am sure you know what I mean .... I was so impressed with the whole show. What did you think? What about him inroducing the band members twice ...do you think that was intentional? Maybe ?? I was sitting next to a guy who's friends, who knew he was a big fan ( from always playing Leonard at their card nights ) all chipped in and bought him a ticket ...isnt that nice !!!
I tell you I can die happy now that I have seen Leonard Live .... I always find after a good concert you ride on a sort of high for a few days ... well I certainly have been and I am enjoying it !!!
Take care Nick
Virg ( from the Sunny coast )
In the rhythm of Life, we sometimes find ourselves out of tune, but as long as there are friends to provide the melody, The music plays on.
Arlee

Re: Melbourne 5 Feb 2009

Post by Arlee »

Last night was some concert. 11,000 people at Rod Laver. It's over 20 years since we last saw our "Lennie". We were worried for him. Ha! 3 Hours of standing and singing! I can't do that and I am much younger. Leonard Cohen seemed tentative at first, but warmed up and let his voice come through as the night went on.
I'm so happy that my husband and I went. Of course, we could have listened over and over again and stayed all night. As always, he had his consumate backing group and spent time giving each of them a chance for their own accolades. Bravo Leonard. As you have always done, you give due credit and justice to those who stand not behind you but alongside you and complement you perfectly. I wish some of the current brood of musician would respect others as much as you do. I don't care that you introduced them twice. They deserved it. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for reviving my vivid memories of all of your other concerts I have been to. You are the only person my husband and I could and have listened to almost daily for over 30 years!
Trenton J

Post by Trenton J »

As one of almost 7 billion other human beings going about his or her life I consider it an enormous privilidge to have seen Leonard Cohen the other night with my mother totally transfixed to the wonderful man...

Mr Cohen has now become a huge inspiration to me - my mom introduced me to the great one - and the least I can do is dress up in my Armani suit with Fedora hat and approach the rest of my life with as much grace, wit and wisdom that was so clearly on display the other night in Queensland....

Sincerely,

Trenton
nighthawk

Post by nighthawk »

The Perth show at Sandalford Wines (On the Green) was an emotional and spiritual experience I will never forget.

Is there / will there be a video for sale of this event?

I seen a film crew there so i assume it will be offered at some stage for sale.

Where can I buy it?
airwalk

Post by airwalk »

I think the crew may have been just filming for the sidescreens? But if a video does become available I would love it. The prized BBC docu mentioned earlier-is there anywhere to get this. I have seen Neil Young, David Byrne and LC this week...a good week really.

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”