CONCERT REPORT: Manchester, November 30

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tommylen

Re: Manchester, November 30

Post by tommylen »

I thought that Leonard and the band nailed every song last night.It was a magnificent performance full of passion and a little sadness.

Ive been fortunate to see Leonard four times on this tour and last night I came away thinking that while it would be great to see him again he is getting on and
perhaps it is best to quit at the top.

One complaint.The immature behaviour of certain people.
To the two selfish half wits in seats 10 and 11 row N block B on the floor who spoke and sang at the top of their voices.
I hope you fell under a bus.
To the man and woman row M seats 13 and 14 block B floor who couldnt stop speaking.Same.Talk about being selfish and inconsiderate.

Great concert though.Worth the 700 mile round trip through the freezing fog.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Setlist received from Simon Moorehead.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Henning

Post by Henning »

It’s over now, it’s done, it has been paid for - when is the benefit show for bankrupt fans ?
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Paula

Post by Paula »

Sounds like I missed another good concert.

Tommylen -
One complaint.The immature behaviour of certain people.
To the two selfish half wits in seats 10 and 11 row N block B on the floor who spoke and sang at the top of their voices.
I hope you fell under a bus.
I thought I was the only one felt like that but it would be sods law that the bus they fell under would be the last bus home and you would have to walk.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

Last night's concert reviewed in the Manchester Evening News:

http://www.citylife.co.uk/music/event_r ... nard_cohen
IF this year has found many of the elderly stateside stalwarts of classic songwriting hitting the road again for the first time in a long time, with relative recluses Tom Waits and Neil Young possibly scared into action by the credit crunch klaxon, Leonard Cohen’s return has certainly courted the most headlines.

Some 15 years since he last had to size up tour buses, Cohen’s early summer four-night sold out stand at the Opera House drew plaudits and frothing enthusiasm from all those lucky enough to get hold of tickets, and some six months on having travelled full circle around the globe he’s still able to astound.

While few artists beyond normal retirement age would hardly even consider such a lengthy schedule the sight of Cohen - who recently celebrated his 74th birthday - almost skipping to centre stage for opener ‘Dance Me To The End Of Love’ is a strange sight that defies his undeserved sullen reputation.

Still as dapperly dressed and prominent now as on previous album sleeves, the only thing that seems to have changed beyond those dusty vinyl covers is his once unremarkable voice dropping to a gentle calming low baritone adding further gravitas to even Cohen’s more emotionally charged expert word play.

Bird On A Wire

Dipping into hits and fan favourites from his impressive back catalogue the force of early set songs such as ‘Bird On A Wire’, ‘Who By Fire’, ‘Anthem’ - each delivered with a surgeon's precision by his expert nine-piece backing band - has the devoted M.E.N audience transfixed.

Whether through the angelic vocal harmonies of regular collaborator Sharon Robinson and the “sublime” Webb sisters, “shepherd of strings” Javier Mas’ virtuoso Laud/ nylon string runs or “master of breath” Dino Saldo’s woodwind expertise the musicianship on display is near perfect.

Soon hitting his stride following the short interval with knockout numbers ‘Suzanne’ and ‘I’m Your Man’, ‘Tower Of Song’, ‘Chelsea Hotel No.2’, a staggering reading of ‘A Thousand Kisses Deep’ and not to mention his hijacked masterpiece ‘Hallelujah’- soon to be given the X Factor treatment (i.e. ruined).

Remaining genial, enthused and humble throughout, even moved to removing his trademark hat in gentlemanly fashion as the vocal harmonies take centre stage, Cohen soaks up the thunderous applause that follows each song.

Whilst it may have taken some persuasion for the Canadian poet to once again take to the stages following such a long lay off the three encores this evening - each met with a standing ovation - suggests he has taken to performing again with gusto, lets hope it lasts.
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Preston79

Post by Preston79 »

Hi, newcomer to The Forum
From my name some of you may have guessed that I first saw Leonard at Preston in December 1979 - goodness, 29 years ago, me a handsome young man of 20, any semblance of handsomeness long faded sadly.
I also saw the 1985 Manchester show.
Just wanted to comment on the debate about people being irritating at the concert. I was in Block G Row 2 and 10 minutes in 2 young lads - about my age in 79 I'd guess - were turfed out of seats in the row in front of me which they'd wrongly occupied.
With typical luck I enjoy at concerts, they, clearly drunk, then of course pitch up immediately behind me & Mrs Preston79, who isn't as avid a fan as I am but came along despite being full of flu, Day Nurse and Lem-Sip to enjoy what I assured her would be a pleasant, melodious, peaceful even historic evening.
Now I'm no prude - I remember being a bit put out at a Lou Reed gig at which, basically, any movement in or out of the hall, any shouting requests etc, was more or less announced as being likely to result in execution before a firing squad.
If I go to see Bruce Springsteen or someone, I fully expect a degree of raucous behaviour, even boorishness, particularly from folk maybe not quite as obsessively intense and anal as I am about my favourite artists.
Dumb and Dumber last night, however, insisted on singing along unharmoniously as if they were at a football match, whooping and hollering unnecessarily to acclaim the end of every number.
Furthermore, whenever an intro was recognised, Idiot A would bellow: "Oh, effing hell, I don't believe it, it's ....Bird On a Wire."
Quite why you would go to a Leonard Cohen concert and not believe he played Bird On A Wire I'm unsure.
There were even a few mis-recognised numbers - I think he had 3 stabs at Who By Fire before it actually materialised.
At the interval, the even unluckier couple sat beside them told the lads that their singing and general carry on had greatly affected their enjoyment, that they had paid good money to hear the performers sing and would they desist.
In fairness, the youths took it on board but after I turned round and added my support to the complainant, saying that I too was having my enjoyment impaired, several people dotted about said that the lads weren't bothering them and could carry on as far as they were concerned.
One lady ,who turned out also to be from Preston and had attended the 79 gig, said: "I think it's great that young people like you enjoy Leonard's music and I'm sure Leonard would love to hear you singing along and cheering.
She was, I have to point out, perfectly nice and we struck up an otherwise agreeable conversation. I took some of the the points on board and though I didn't agree that the interjections and chanting were inoffensive, settled for the second half hoping for a more peacable experience.
But with Mrs Preston79 clearly ailing and getting ever more annoyed with every "Oh, effing hell, it's...." and the bellowed attempts at witty ripostes to Leonard's patter, we left after So Long Marianne with the thought of a further 45 mins stuck in a cold car (no heater working!) on Floor 8 and an irate grandad babysitting our 2 young daughters factored into the equation.
I'm not against people enjoying themselves in any way they choose at a gig, but there is surely a time and a place...
I'm sure that even the callow 20-year-old I was in 1979, doubtless with a pint or three or four inside me, wouldn't have dreamt of trying to inflict on a knowledgeable audience my own harmonies or my vast appreciation of the Works of Leonard.
So what was probably my final Leonard Cohen gig was a bitter-sweet experience. It was great to see the man on top form with world-class musicians and my wife, while not entirely converted, enjoyed the evening far more than she expected despite the company1
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

slownight wrote:It was a truly wonderful evening and it felt like I had come full circle since seeing Leonard on 20th June. Thank you also to Jarkko for enabling fans to get great tickets and to everyone for their YouTube videos, concert reviews and recordings – the pleasures of the tour have been intensified because we have been able to share the joys. So, the end of a very blessed and completely joyful period for those of us in Europe – I look forward to reading the reviews of the Pacific tour in due course. You are in for the time of your lives - enjoy!
I echo your thoughts. If anything, I thought that tonight was the best of the five shows I saw ... the set list worked so well but also here was Leonard and the band at the top of their form, so much so that I sensed in several places that his phrasing was even more confident, slightly delayed at times as if delivering the poetry of which he is such a master. Chelsea hotel, too, for the first time for me and Thousand Kisses Deep recited for the first time since Manchester. Great seats (Jarkko you are wonderful), great company with my 12 year old who loved it and dear new friends thanks to the Forum ... and to Liverpool Ken for arranging everything. The small world it is means that Dave Liver ran one of the pubs I practised drinking in as a teenager!!! Davido's lad was in the row behind ..'the next generation' Ken said ... in our row J was a baby who seemed to enjoy it too .. and the couple who danced to Famous Blue Raincoat (until the stewards stopped them!) ... Oh the encores were magnificent ..and the singalong worked just fine because where I was it was not a true singalong .. just the choruses . in recognition that each song is so powerful and evocative in different ways for different people. Xavier with the unified heart choker was amazing. Leonard, as ever, powerful and frail in equal measure but above all dignified. Hatti and Charley at the end jumping up and down .. such enjoyment and a very crowded stage for the final Whither thou goest ... final for this pat of the world, this time around .. I shall try to get back to normal after these five months ... the Forum will help. Leonard and the band and the crew .. may you have the rest you so richly deserve and see your loved ones, safe in the knowledge that you were just amazing ... until the next time!!!!

Paul
Last edited by Paul Zagreb on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
dynamiksdreamdebased

Post by dynamiksdreamdebased »

Preston79 wrote:Hi, newcomer to The Forum
From my name some of you may have guessed that I first saw Leonard at Preston in December 1979 - goodness, 29 years ago, me a handsome young man of 20, any semblance of handsomeness long faded sadly.
I also saw the 1985 Manchester show.
Just wanted to comment on the debate about people being irritating at the concert. I was in Block G Row 2 and 10 minutes in 2 young lads - about my age in 79 I'd guess - were turfed out of seats in the row in front of me which they'd wrongly occupied.
With typical luck I enjoy at concerts, they, clearly drunk, then of course pitch up immediately behind me & Mrs Preston79, who isn't as avid a fan as I am but came along despite being full of flu, Day Nurse and Lem-Sip to enjoy what I assured her would be a pleasant, melodious, peaceful even historic evening.
Now I'm no prude - I remember being a bit put out at a Lou Reed gig at which, basically, any movement in or out of the hall, any shouting requests etc, was more or less announced as being likely to result in execution before a firing squad.
If I go to see Bruce Springsteen or someone, I fully expect a degree of raucous behaviour, even boorishness, particularly from folk maybe not quite as obsessively intense and anal as I am about my favourite artists.
Dumb and Dumber last night, however, insisted on singing along unharmoniously as if they were at a football match, whooping and hollering unnecessarily to acclaim the end of every number.
Furthermore, whenever an intro was recognised, Idiot A would bellow: "Oh, effing hell, I don't believe it, it's ....Bird On a Wire."
Quite why you would go to a Leonard Cohen concert and not believe he played Bird On A Wire I'm unsure.
There were even a few mis-recognised numbers - I think he had 3 stabs at Who By Fire before it actually materialised.
At the interval, the even unluckier couple sat beside them told the lads that their singing and general carry on had greatly affected their enjoyment, that they had paid good money to hear the performers sing and would they desist.
In fairness, the youths took it on board but after I turned round and added my support to the complainant, saying that I too was having my enjoyment impaired, several people dotted about said that the lads weren't bothering them and could carry on as far as they were concerned.
One lady ,who turned out also to be from Preston and had attended the 79 gig, said: "I think it's great that young people like you enjoy Leonard's music and I'm sure Leonard would love to hear you singing along and cheering.
She was, I have to point out, perfectly nice and we struck up an otherwise agreeable conversation. I took some of the the points on board and though I didn't agree that the interjections and chanting were inoffensive, settled for the second half hoping for a more peacable experience.
But with Mrs Preston79 clearly ailing and getting ever more annoyed with every "Oh, effing hell, it's...." and the bellowed attempts at witty ripostes to Leonard's patter, we left after So Long Marianne with the thought of a further 45 mins stuck in a cold car (no heater working!) on Floor 8 and an irate grandad babysitting our 2 young daughters factored into the equation.
I'm not against people enjoying themselves in any way they choose at a gig, but there is surely a time and a place...
I'm sure that even the callow 20-year-old I was in 1979, doubtless with a pint or three or four inside me, wouldn't have dreamt of trying to inflict on a knowledgeable audience my own harmonies or my vast appreciation of the Works of Leonard.
So what was probably my final Leonard Cohen gig was a bitter-sweet experience. It was great to see the man on top form with world-class musicians and my wife, while not entirely converted, enjoyed the evening far more than she expected despite the company1

I'm their age, and was full of ale at all the gigs I went to but kept my mouth firmly shut... didn't want to disrupt people around me

boys will be boys etc.... but I can understand entirely that it would have affected the concert for you. Surprised no-one had a "quiet word" with the lads in the interval though, I've been the recipient of a few of those and it's always been very effective :oops: ;-)
blithe, urbane and inebriated.
phillip

Post by phillip »

Well I would just like to add I was glad everyone behaved when I saw LC in Manchester in June and also Birmingham on 22 November would of liked to of been there last night but was unable too, the memories will last forever and I do hope to see LC again if I can, Thanks again to Leonard for 2 great concerts this year, and to Jarkko who has made things possible and to this wonderful forum so I can follow the tour look forward to reading about the next leg of the tour in Jan/Feb, lastly to everyone and to Leonard have a very Happy Christmas :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
SuzanneC

Post by SuzanneC »

It definitely had to be a great show as you all write. I am so sorry I couldn't be there. But on the other hand good for my psychic wellbeing :D I know I would be not just sad as many of you said but totally internally minced into million pieces that could be joined together again only by listening of Leonard's songs :D As I was always after shows I saw just to the moment I bought ticket for other one.

Right now it is playing here in my flat:

If it be your will
That a voice be true
From this broken hill
I will sing to you
From this broken hill
All your praises they shall ring
If it be your will
To let me sing

Leonard definitely has to know we all want to let him sing if not forever so at least for few European concert in near future. And for the case if he doesn't come to Europe ever, I think Canada is a beautiful country to visit ;-) Anyone join me? Because I've already spent number of my friends willing to share my "Leonard addiction" :D
Here is the photo not from last show but from RAH, but still seems to me quite symbolic. The music is ending, the lights are going down, there is absolutely silence in the hall, but a few words still remain to be said. Hopefully we will hear them soon and we will be able to continue in this unexpired coversation.
RAH.JPG
RAH.JPG (36.49 KiB) Viewed 12924 times
Thank you Leonard for this beautiful autumn lived with you and your songs...I am looking forward to see you soon again anywhere on the planet :D
Heike

Post by Heike »

Well, I have just returned home from Manchester and must say that it was a memorable night.
Leonard just outdid himself, and so did the musicians, summoning all their energy for the last gig of the year.

It had been worth while coming over just for the exorbitant recital of "A Thousand Kisses Deep", which had me in tears. And literally everyone singing along to "So long, Marianne". Just a pity that closing time was too early so that there was no more room for Closing Time...

Thank you everyone who contributed to a great day:
Ken, thanks for everything, Jean and Philip, David (thanks for the badge!), Paul and Luka, Margaret and her sister (was she a fan after the concert?), and Davido and his lovely family.
Hope to see you again soon :) .

Leonard, Europe needs more of you in 2009 :D !
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

I thought last nights show was an exceptional performance - by which I mean I saw the same set from roughly the same vantage point in Brighton two nights previous &, whilst both performances were polished,this one came over as more passionate, nuanced & involving. Both barn like venues conspired to suck the atmosphere out of the event but somehow the Manchester gig still felt small,focussed & intimate.

Maybe the difference was just a state of mind, but that was my impression at any rate.

I admit I had some pint of red wine swilling tosser whino-singing along beside me for most of the Brighton gig todemonstrate his familiarity & darken my mood but I've been in that situation often enough to blank out the annoying distraction.

I think it was just down to the buzz coming off the Manchester crowd & the response towards greater excellence that seemed to evoke from the p layers. End of the roadiness no doubt added to the occasion too.

By the way, I noticed Javier Mas was sporting a blue enamelised unified heart bootlace tie thing whilst most of the other players had gold unified heart rings. Presumably Jav's was one of a kind (like him) but it struck me as the cooler ornamentation. On the other hand, that could have been just a state of mind too - his ;-)
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Thanks Leonard for another fantastic concert ! I would also like to thank my friends on the meet up ( some old and some new ) for a great day . Special thanks to Ken for the organising . Hope to see you all again sometime !!. Jarkko now the tour has ended in Britain is there any plans to cut up the carpet he stood on while performing into thousands of little pieces and distribute them to his fans !
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

:razz: Hmm... looks like he will need the carpet for quite a long time ;-)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Preston79

Post by Preston79 »

If you need it cleaning mate me and my pal John from Servicemaster have the very latest machinery and chemicals to remove every known stain and can do you a good, possibly even gratis, deal, we would have to insist that Mr Cohen himself inspected our work and approved it after though.
Do I win the prize for "most ingenious attempt to get round the sorry-no-autograph-signing-or-audiences-with-Leonard"

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”