CONCERT REPORT: Manchester, November 30

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
liverpoolken

Re: Manchester, November 30

Post by liverpoolken »

6 months, 8 concerts, postponed holidays, cancelled flights, dashes straight from concert hall to airport, curled up trying to catch up on some sleep on the floor of Athens airport hours after the last Manchester Opera House gig, sitting on Lioliou beach on Schinoussa with Javier Mas’ shimmering, extrasensory intro to Who By Fire spinning around in my head, sitting in a small bar in Venice in the early hours of the morning listening to a young Italian lady sing So Long Marianne especially for me, at last meeting someone who agrees with me about the Hammond organ, having a bright young 12 year-old reveal to me a secret that lies at the very heart of one the forums most popular threads, most importantly lots of beautiful days and nights spent with old friends from all corners of the world, making new friends, just about forgiving Leonard for not coming to Liverpool, having my opinion of Manchester as being the most miserable city in Europe confirmed, and somewhere amongst all this was the gracious presence of Leonard himself, Javier my new musical hero, and of course the wonderful music.
I hope everybody else had summer as good as mine.

Here’s the ‘last supper’ of the current tour in Manchester last Sunday

Ta Ken

Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
mancman

Post by mancman »

I wouldn't describe myslef as a hardcore devotee but I've always admired Leonard. I missed out on the Manchester Opera House giggs in the summer and was pig sick when I read the great reviews. When the MEN Arena gig was announced I was a bit half-hearted about it because I couldn't imagine this vast space being the right setting for Leonard, but how wrong I was!
The Arena seemed like an intimate night club in the grip of the great man. What a concert! For the regulars at this latest round of his gigs there may not have been anything new but to me as a first-timer it was phenomenal, exuding absolute class. I'm not ashamed to admit that the tears flowed from me from the very first number to the very last.
I'm a veteran in my 60th year and I've seen most of the greats down the years but this one was up there with the very best - just wish I could have bottled it and taken it home with me.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Ken,

Thanks for sharing the "last supper" photo! Now, who is who? After reading this Forum for about 10 months and officially registering in July I feel like I've sort of gotten to know certain people. I think Dave is sitting in the middle on the left and I think you are the standee. Am I correct? It was such a delight reading all the entries leading up to this last (for 2008...I'm thinking positive) night in Manchester and then everyones impressions after the concert. Bittersweet. Sad that this may be the last time for Leonard to perform in England but joy for all the experiences of the past 6 months! Thank you...and everyone else...for all you have shared with all of us.

Diana
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

Mancman.Thats a post from the heart.
I was lucky enough to get to a few of the concerts.Every concert was a magical experience providing lasting memories. Simply superb stuff.
Edinburgh for example was a regal affair with the setting of the castle in the background while the two Glasgow
performances were intimate affairs in the Armadillo.I thought Leonard really ripped into the Manchester performance
maybe in the knowledge that he didnt have another show coming up.It was a concert and a half.Brilliant performance.What a Halleluja.
Like yourself Ive seen many bands from my student days.Ive seen internationally renowned artists but the four Leonard concerts
I attended this year are stand alone memories that I will cherish for ever.Its been great to read other peoples genuine thrills from going to
the concerts.

Does anyone have any film of the Manchester concert?
Last edited by tommylen on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hogan

Post by hogan »

Ken are you for real with all this anti-Manchester nonsense or am I missing something somewhere?

Surely you wouldn't want to conform to most Mancunians' image of Liverpool as the city of self-pity, full of professional grievers who are way up their own arses.
CamilleBeauchamp

Post by CamilleBeauchamp »

Hogan, I sympathise, but let's just let it go. It's a personal opinion. Otherwise, we'll somehow end up with someone else chipping in and taking us off to a Rangers v Celtic debate and therein danger (as well as discussion off piste and sans Leonard Cohen) lies. But to balance it, I've seen some lovely sunsets in Manchester... :) And I'm feeling very wistful that I missed Sunday's Manchester concert, as it seems the size of the venue didn't detract from the event at all. And how great to be there for the UK finale (though I hope it wasn't really, of course...).
Camille
phillip

Post by phillip »

well don't forget to give me a bit of the carpet! I have been a fan 20 years and I have got ALL his books and albums and lots of video's etc.... I have seen LC 3 times now and the first in 1993 at the RAH I got to shake hands with Leonard! he sure is the best :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
davem99

Post by davem99 »

liverpoolken wrote:having my opinion of Manchester as being the most miserable city in Europe confirmed
Then by all means please stay in your beloved city of ruins, sorry culture.

As for the gig on Sunday, it was simply magnificent and a great way to end the European tour in a city which at least Leonard obviously appreciates having been here three time in 16 months. Come back soon my friend.
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

Four concerts this year. The first night involved a flight to Dublin. Then it was a 280 mile round trip drive to Edinburgh, then 980 miles to Birmingham and back and finally a mere 760 miles to Manchester. The drive back to the north of Scotland through the night, not to mention the fog and snow was exceedingly tiring but worth every mile. I thought Dublin was brilliant, Edinburgh apart from the seats, equally so, but Birmingham moved to another level, particularly with the sound and lighting. Manchester however left all of the others in the shade. Surely this should be the candidate for a live DVD and CD. A truly fitting end to a magnificent tour. As someone else has said, how does he make each performance so fresh? Might it have something to do with talent and the sheer professionalism of all concerned, but especially the "master of song".
Thank you for concerts never to forget and nights always to remember.
Dave
wmhouse

Post by wmhouse »

I last saw Leonard live at Leeds University early in 1970 - 38 years later, in Manchester on the last date of his UK tour, his voice and performance was even better than it was in 1970.
paddieu

Post by paddieu »

can i ask whether the leeds uni gig was the one where he was held up and arrived
late and played long for the few people who were there ? or was that a later year ?
all i know is it was pre 1974.
mancman

Post by mancman »

A shame that Liverpoolken had to have a pop at Manchester but I can understand why he's sad that Leonard didn't go to play in his beloved city.

The one thing I would say on that subject is that Leonard did well to come back to Manchester - the accoustics at Liverpool Echo Arena are pathetic whereas those at the MEN Arena are first class. The Cohen sound engineers did a fantastic job at the MEN but even they would have been hard pressed in Liverpool
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

Its probably a tongue in cheek personal joke because when you are a long standing contributor to forums-as Ken is to this one- you tend to become over familiar and make comments that are misunderstood.Done it myself.

Manchester was superb for the concert but its some time since I was there.Lots of new sites in the centre like the "Thai type market" and the big wheel.Quite an attraction.

Great cafes and pubs and I know from experience that Manchester has the best eating places you could hope to find.

Loved the police action.Not my scene anymore but its lively.

Liverpool is probably much the same but I cant vouch for that because I have never been to Liverpool.

Seen it on telly though.

Ken might know whats good about Liverpool .

Serious question.

Has LC ever played Liverpool? No not at football.
Davido

Post by Davido »

tommylen wrote:Its probably a tongue in cheek personal joke because when you are a long standing contributor to forums-as Ken is to this one- you tend to become over familiar and make comments that are misunderstood.Done it myself.

Manchester was superb for the concert but its some time since I was there.Lots of new sites in the centre like the "Thai type market" and the big wheel.Quite an attraction.

Great cafes and pubs and I know from experience that Manchester has the best eating places you could hope to find.

Loved the police action.Not my scene anymore but its lively.

Liverpool is probably much the same but I cant vouch for that because I have never been to Liverpool.

Seen it on telly though.

Ken might know whats good about Liverpool .

Serious question.

Has LC ever played Liverpool? No not at football.
I'd agree with you.
Ken is one of the good guys.
As far as I am aware, LC played Liverpool Empire Theatre on 14 Sep 1974.
I also think it's a real pity that no concert was arranged in Liverpool in 2008.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

1974? Thats about the time my wife handed me a copy of a Leonard Cohen music book and I browsed it and said something like
"Rubbish".

Ive tried to explain this away over the years by saying that I was refering to a particular song.Thats a lie of course.

Anyhow I was already into underground music and Leonard was in my likes of music.I must have been teasing my wife.Yes thats it.

Its been a wonderful treat to attend the concerts not just for me but also for my family members who are music (LC)lovers .

It must be the same for thousands of others too.

When the DVD comes out we plan to watch and sing along.

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”