CONCERT REPORT: London, RAH, November 17-18

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
astranger

Re: London RAH, 17-18 November 2008

Post by astranger »

John Etherington wrote:Hi astranger,

The Webb Sisters did one quick, effortless flip during "The Future". It gave a nice little added flourish to the show.

All good things, John E
haha can't wait to see a video of that! nice pic too!
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
efc

Post by efc »

Good to see you also Marcus

On the long stem rose front, Leonard did pick one off the stage (I can’t recall the song but it was during the encores), and held it a while. The video crew zoomed in on it at one point, and whilst I couldn’t make a positive ID it was similar to those seen at the Troubadour!
Miia

Post by Miia »

Hi Hydriot,

Being one of the two ladies you referred to as handing the huge bouquet of roses to Leonard, I must do justice to the other lady and correct that it was she who had been thoughtful enough to get the beautiful roses for him and who managed to attract Leonard's attetion. Thanks for this! I only recognized the moment and rushed to hand my own little present to Leonard - a sprig of rosemary to cherish the golden voice. (Though having just checked Wikipedia for potential medicinal use of rosemary, neurodegenerative diseases and lice are listed as the top indications, moreover allergic reactions were mentiond as undesirable side effects... I sincerely wish my little present only did what it was supposed to do!) Leonard naturally received the roses with a hearty smile and a humble bow, only after a split second he seemed to realise the [miserable] herb was also ment for him. But then he kindly held it in his hands with respect, next to the hundred roses, til the end of the tune. Let it symbolize simplicity.

Thank you, Leonard, again for the unforgettable moments with you, the band, and your songs. And many thanks to all the new friends I made, great to meet you all and finally have faces to the "famous" names. Hope to meet you again, perhaps Hydra next summer. Special thanks to Jarkko and Eija for being there, I look forward to meeting you again - in Finnish!

Miia
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

Miia is right.
Miia

Post by Miia »

mickey_one wrote:Miia is right.
Mickey_one, right in what?!

I only now read the rest of the discussions and noticed that the "fan stuff on the front row of stalls O" has caused some bad feelings. Sorry for this, but these are THE moments of your life that erase all senses for good behaviour and self-control. Let's try to be as open-hearted and open-minded as our beloved Leonard is and forgive each other for being just humans - and we all feel much better! As a compensation for my bad behaviour I would attach some shots from my seat, which was probably the best one in the entire hall, if I knew how to do it! Will work on it...

Miia
Padma

Post by Padma »

Miia wrote:

Let's try to be as open-hearted and open-minded as our beloved Leonard is and forgive each other for being just humans - and we all feel much better!

Miia

Miia - thank you for this. I had a wonderful afternoon meeting with new and old friends - and a truly wonderful evening at the RaH and that is how I want to remember the experience.
Habie

Post by Habie »

Lieber Henning, I didn't say Germans don't have a sense of humour, only that it's a common PERCEPTION around here that they don't! Not the same thing at all. Anyone who reads your exchanges on this website with Liverpool Ken for example, will know that Germans in fedoras from the Frankfurt area most certainly have humour, wit, brevity, and much else besides.
But just because you so charmingly represent the wit and wisdom of Teutonic troubadours, doesn't mean, sadly, that stereotypes will magically be erased.

Keep laughing, though, and you never know.

Sorry if this is not strictly an RAH-related post, but I wanted to respond to Henning's post and I get the feeling the Cohen Fraternity can forgive the odd digression - I for one enjoy the ones I've seen on here, and the serious matter of national stereotyping is clearly relevant to all - after all, we can't say all Canadians are sublime poets and perfect gentlemen, can we?
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

But don't mention the war!
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

Miia wrote:
Mickey_one, right in what?!

Miia
Miia is right about everything in life, (but no more than that).
pegasus4

Post by pegasus4 »

[
quote][Maarten wrote:
Hi,
I've uploaded some pictures from both nights at the RAH on my Facebook:
London (RAH), November 17: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292
London (RAH), November 18: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292

Some other albums:
Manchester, June 17: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292
Amsterdam, July 12: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292
Brussels, Oct 19: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292
Brussels, Oct 20: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292

Enjoy and feel free to use any of the photo's if you like. Just send me an email if you want it in it's original resolution.
/quote]
Great photos. Many thanks for sharing them with us.

I don't know. Cartwheels!! skipping!! Cheerfulness just has this way of breaking through. :D
Henning

Post by Henning »

Ok, Ok, Habie - thnx for clarifying this. I will have a much better sleep now. But let's be on topic again otherwise the threadpolice will give us a warning.

So ... on our way out of RAH I casually said to Tinderella, that Leonard stole the first line from 1000 kisses deep, a few minor changes given.

Everybody knows "She came to me one morning" from Uriah Heep's Lady in Black.

Holy BimBam. You should have seen her eyes. It was close to the first case of murder in the RAH. A lesson I was told. Never mention that Leonard stole anything. Because it is simply not true.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Miia wrote:I only now read the rest of the discussions and noticed that the "fan stuff on the front row of stalls O" has caused some bad feelings. Sorry for this, but these are THE moments of your life that erase all senses for good behaviour and self-control. Let's try to be as open-hearted and open-minded as our beloved Leonard is and forgive each other for being just humans - and we all feel much better! As a compensation for my bad behaviour I would attach some shots from my seat, which was probably the best one in the entire hall, if I knew how to do it! Will work on it...
Miia
Could I set the record straight once and for all? If you read what I actually wrote on the first page of this thread, it was purely descriptive and not censorious at all. My objections have only ever been to those who sing-along, shake my seat by marking time with their knee, or similar. That some see me as a rigid pompous wallflower saddens me, as it seems my self-image of being (outside the concert hall) tolerant, articulate and loving is completely inaccurate :cry: .

Miia, I was absolutely charmed by the behaviour of you and your friend. In fact when I saw your friend trying to attract Leonard's attention, I was willing him to notice you both. It was a lovely moment in the concert when Leonard came over to you, and your behaviour was exemplary.

And anyway, I always give special consideration to anyone who loves Hydra ;-)
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Habie

Post by Habie »

Wow, Henning - well spotted re Uriah Heep inventing the line 'She Came to Me One Morning'! Is their no end to your encyclopaedic musical knowledge?

Guess we must accept the unspoken rule that Leonard Does Not Commit a Sin, and assume that he and Uriah Heep's lyricist came up with the line separately and simultaneously... Uriah released their song in 1971, LC first sang Kisses is the 90s - clearly Leonard just needed some time to hold the line in his head for a while and work out the next lines...

Re the cartwheels and skipping controversy - seriously, why would anyone would object to Leonard and his ladies indulging in their acrobatic winks to the audience amid the quasi-religious atmosphere of the rest of us sitting silently worshipful in front of them night after night? Cheerfulness keeps breaking through indeed - and thank goodness for that. Or we'd all statufie in our seats from rigidity of purpose.

To my mind, everything that band does has a lightness of touch - the feeling that they could either break into tears (eg Neil) or laughter (eg Rafael) at any moment. Like the rest of us.

For me, the Webbtastic Ones wanting to emphasize their 'perfect bodies' with a brief flight through the air, reminds me that however serious we fans get, Leonard and his friends will never, ever, take themselves too seriously.
mickey_one

emotion showing at the Royal Bert Hall

Post by mickey_one »

If you're Habie and you know it
Clap your hands
(and sod everyone else)
Habie

Post by Habie »

The coolest thing about really witty people, Like Mickeys of One, is that you never know if they're laughing WITH you or AT you..

but that's the fun of it, my bird-hating friend... to keep the suspense. In any case, it's good to be laughed at too, because in a Leonard-inflected world, self importance is the baddest sin of all.

(I do hope I didn't offend anyone on the Zanzibari thread, though, that was NOT the intention). Fare thee well.

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”