meet up in Manchester on the 30th.

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
liverpoolken

Re: meet up in Manchester on the 30th.

Post by liverpoolken »

Hogan

...with City at least we have one thing in common..my first experience of the beautitful game was from sitting on my father's shoulders behind Frank Swift's goal in the late forties. Of course I was but a child but Frank Swift has and will always be my number one football hero with the legendary Alex Young as a close second.
It still fills me with tears when I think that when Frank died in the Munich air crash is was still only in his early forties.

I well remember where I was when JKF died (it was a Friday night in the Overchurch Hotel at about 6pm. GMT), but my memory of the Munich air disaster was far more traumatic. I was about 12 years old on the school bus on the way to school when the driver stopped the bus on the side of Bidston Hill to show us the headlines in the morning paper.

Ta Ken (sadly no longer a football fan)
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

liverpoolken wrote:Anybody who fancies to join Heike, Phil and his wife, myself, daveyliver and perhaps Joan from Ireland then we will be meeting up in the Gardens Hotel bar between 2pm and say 3/3:30pm. Plan A is then to find somewhere to eat and then after we have eaten head down to the Kings Arms in Bloom Street sometime around 5/6pm.
Don't be shy...all are welcome..I'm the only one who bites.

There is a big German Christmas market in St. Annes Square and a massive European Christmas market in Albert Square at the moment perhaps if we have time we can visit them for a cup of mulled wine or a German beer in the German beer garden.

Ta Ken
Ken
This is very helpful - so much so I should change my forum name to Liverpoolpaul in admiration (and it would be originally true at least!!!!) ... I am 'treating' my 12 year old son to his first Leonard concert and we are staying in the gardens Hotel too ... But our coach is not due to arrive until 3.45pm so maybe you could leave a note for us at reception telling us where you decided to go and eat. Looking forward with great anticipation to the concert but with a little sadness as it it my last one! Paul Stubbs
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Paul

It sounds like you are more entitled than I am to use the 'liverpool' prefix.

Having been born in Manchester I've often be described here in Liverpool as the phoney scouser once the shameful secret of my birthplace is discovered.

It would be great if you and your 12 year old son could join us for lunch on Sunday. Tell your lad the Kings Arms does a mean pint of Guinness.

I've pm-ed you my mobile number.

Ta Ken
Patsy

Post by Patsy »

You've got quite a weekend coming up in Manchester you lucky lot....Martyn Joseph at Sale on Saturday night (check him out - he's bloody good! http://www.martynjoseph.com), City vs United and Leonard on Sunday. If it had been United v City there would have been no stopping me from heading north - I was a United fan even before discovering Leonard Cohen, and I do come from daan saarf, however a) I cannot be responsible for where my mother was when she gave birth and b) I married a Red Manc so I've done the best I could!
Hope you all have a fantastic last night of the Fall Tour (not that I am envious or anything) and c'mon you Reds.... ;-)
Oh My Gawd!!!

Post by Oh My Gawd!!! »

I may or may not be attending this. I'm going to my friend's for the weekend and getting the train straight from his to Manchester. Depending on how late I get there, I can give someone a ring or something? My mobile number is 07956 885914 and my name's Chris. Look forward to (hopefully!) meeting some of you!

Also, who's getting the bus back to Liverpool that night?
Joan

Post by Joan »

Thanks a million for the map - it's great.
My flight doesn't get in till 3.45pm (all going well)
I will try to get to the Kings Arms for a drink.....
Kind Regards, Joan.

By the way, this is me ( just so you can pick me out of the crowd :D )

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/cuddlyj/076_76.jpg
Davido

Post by Davido »

Looking forward to meeting you all at some point during the day.
Paul Z - my 12 yr old son will be there, too.
A big thanks to Ken yet again.
Dave
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
Joan

Post by Joan »

Does anyone have any idea approx how much a taxi will cost from the Airport to The Premier Inn near the MEN Arena ?
Kind Regards, Joan.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Joan

No more than around £20 if I remember right.

Use the black cabs only outside the terminal building.

It should be only about a 20 minute ride on a Sunday

There is a also train and bus station attached to the airport

There are plenty of buses that will take you to the city centre plus there's a very good train service that will also take you to either Victoria station (the nearest to your hotel) or to Piccadilly station about a 20 minute walk away from your hotel.

Ta Ken
theotherside

Post by theotherside »

not sure where Bloom Street is but pretty certain that we will have a stunning evening.ken, you have been the perfect advocate for the North West and I hope to see you again on the day. out of interest, it may not quite scan but The temple of Convenience does have (cohen's) music all through the afternoon(on Jukebox). I know the plumbing is poor but let's kick back and celebrate.
Joan

Post by Joan »

Thanks Ken - You're a star.
J.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Oh My Gawd!!! wrote: Also, who's getting the bus back to Liverpool that night?
ohmygawd

Both daveyliver and myself have booked for the last bus back to Liverpool.
Btw are you taking a music or drama course at LIPA? If you are on a drama course I will at least know your face.
Monday to Saturday there is a last train back to Liverpool from Victoria at 11:15. It's not on the timetable for Sunday, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they put it on for the concert. As you know Victoria Station is right next door to the arena and if a show runs late they always hold the train back until everybody has time to board. .
Now here's the trick.
If it's on then you really don't need a ticket . After a concert it's standing room only for most of the way back to Liverpool and no ticket inspector ever bothers checking tickets. My stop is Edge Lane so I'm not sure if there is anybody at the barrier at Lime Street.

Our plans for Sunday are very much open ended.
If anybody wishes to join us sometime during the day my mobile number is 07950130103 or +44 7950130103 for our non UK friends.

Ta Ken
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Approx how long would it take to walk/run from the MENA to the Kings Arms pub.
We are driving from Bristol tomorrow & will arrive late aftertoon & may just be in time for a drink.
Thanks
J
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

mydoglorca wrote:Approx how long would it take to walk/run from the MENA to the Kings Arms pub.
We are driving from Bristol tomorrow & will arrive late aftertoon & may just be in time for a drink.
Thanks
J
From the arena or the car park the Kings Arms is about a 15 minute walk straight down Chapel Street. (see map a few posts back)
When you come to the busy junction of Chapel Street and Bloom Street the pub is few yards up Bloom Street on the left hand side. There's nowt much in Bloom Street itself but a block of yuppie flats up on the right and the pub opposite.
It's a quiet street is Bloom Street and perhaps not the best lit street in Manchester so you could easily walk pass it.
Hope you can make it.

Ta Ken
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

I would like to meet up with you all, but I will not be arriving in Manchester until late. I must be sitting close to some of you in the concert.I am in Block C
SEAT G5.If I do not manage to meet you before please saw hello at the concert.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”