meet up in Manchester on the 30th.

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
liverpoolken

meet up in Manchester on the 30th.

Post by liverpoolken »

Anybody interested?
Any ideas for a venue?

It's a Sunday and Leonard's last European concert.

So maybe seeing as it's a Sunday we could perhaps meet up for a nice traditional English Sunday lunch somewhere.

Or failing that the pub that I always go to before (and after) at gig at the Manchester Arena is the Kings Arms in Bloom Street, which is only 10 minutes walk from the arena.

http://www.viewmanchester.co.uk/pubsand ... 29907.html

http://www.remotegoat.co.uk/venue_view.php?uid=24853

http://www.myspace.com/kingsarmssalford

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Heike

Re: meet up in Manchester on the 30th.

Post by Heike »

Ken,

A meetup before Leonard's last 2008 concert in Europe is a great idea.

This is my first visit to Manchester, so I can't suggest a venue.
Whatever place you or the others suggest, count me in :D .

Looking forward to meeting many of you on the 30th,
Heike
2008: Lörrach/Berlin/Frankfurt/Oberhausen/Manchester
2009: Cologne/Dublin/Barcelona
2010: Berlin/Wiesbaden/Lisboa/Dortmund/Stuttgart/Warszawa
2012: Ghent, August 12/Berlin/Lisboa
2013: Oberhausen/Berlin
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Just booked two tickets for 30th Nov and looking forward to more info on any meetup . The sunday lunch idea sounds good to us
Phil and Jean
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
ronnied

Post by ronnied »

First time on this site and never been to a meet up before so would like to on the 30th as it's Leonard's last date over here. We were at his first date in Dublin on the 13th - so brilliant - and will there on his last date as well, To meet up with ohers before would be great. But how do you know who everyone is???
margaret

Post by margaret »

Ken,
I don't know Manchester but will be glad to meet before the concert wherever is chosen. Do you have any suggestions for parking near the venue? There seems to be a distinct lack of public transport out of Manchester on Sunday nights :(

ronnied, some of us know each other already. Once a meeting place is known just look for a group of people and ask if they are from the Cohen Forum. It's always good to meet new members :)

Margaret
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Hi Margaret these are the two desperate fans who took your advice and booked for the 30th november straight after the O2 in London
Looking forward to meeting up with you and all the others if we can get a venue organised . We should pay homage to Leonard last ever British concert by all Cohenites attending a final British meet up . Then we will have some proof in years to come to say we were there done that got the Tshirt .
Phil and Jean Liptrot
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Hi All,
Looking forward to seeing you all in Manchester and drinking real beer at real prices.
I've just heard from a long time reader of the forum(thanks George) whom we met in Edinburgh that ' coincidentally' the pub Ken mentions, The Kings Arms Bloom Street holds the following Sunday session. It sounds fun.
Fortuoiusly, they are having one of their quarterly Dylan tribute sessions on the afternoon of 30th 1-5pm
Usualy headlined by the Salford Sheiks (led by CP Lee ex Albeto y Los trios Paranois) for an irreverant set - its usually a fanatstic event and perfect for a pre lenny show - he's prob staying across the street in the Lowry Hotel - but I do think it shuts about 6pm ilsh on Sundays so not a good pre gig meet up venue - but we'll be there all afternoon
Funny Ken didn't mention it........
Head down no nonsense mindless boogie!!
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
gingermop

Post by gingermop »

Dear all

May I offer a caveat to those of you planning on going out in Manchester on the 30th.

It's also the day of a Manchester Derby match (City vs Utd, at City's ground). Traffic and public transport will be hellish (kickoff is at 13:30), but worse than that, after the match, pubs and bars will be full of football fans, who continue drinking well into the evening, and trouble usually ensues. I'd advise not straying too far from the MEN but avoiding the Printworks. King's Arms might be ok, but it gets full at weekends...

Cheers,
G
hogan

Post by hogan »

I'm doing both the match and the concert. (Up the Blues!)

Does anybody know of a late opening venue for an after concert meet?
Oh My Gawd!!!

Post by Oh My Gawd!!! »

Hi guys, I'd definitely be up for a meet-up! Give me a time and a pub and I'll be there. :)

I also posted a thread about my travel arrangements for coming back from the show... would there by any chance be any Merseyside dwellers going to the show that could offer me a lift back? I'll pay my way in petrol (and Mersey Tunnel if appropriate?).

Thanks!! :D
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

PLAN A

Heike what hotel are you staying at?

The reason I ask is that with the football hooligans taking over the city centre on Sunday the best thing to do is perhaps to intially meet up in your hotel's lounge or it's bar if it has one.

From there those who want to join us for a meal we can all have a look around the area for a suitable place to eat.
Then after a leisurely meal we can make our way down to the Kings Arms for a pre concert drink say from about 5pm-6pm onwards.

Every pub in the city centre is going to full of drunken Mancs drinking cheap beer and watching the game. Not quite the louche cafe society that we Scousers are use to I'm afraid. So I was thinking of meeting up in a non-football pub or bar (or your hotel's bar ) between say 2pm -3pm then heading out for something to eat. I've just had a word with daveyliver and he will be arriving in Manchester at about 3pm. For starters I know Davido is coming to the concert and also that nice Yorkshireman Philip and his wife.
So once we know where to meet up before we eat then anybody else who is interested can come and join us either there or in the Kings Arms later.

PLAN B
Just meet up in the Kings Arms before the concert

PLAN C

there is no PLAN C

Ta Ken
Joan

Post by Joan »

Hi,
I'm travelling over from Ireland on my own for the gig.
I'm staying in the Premier Inn - can anyone tell me how near it is to the arena and how safe it will be for me walking back & forth to the gig.
I'd really appreciate some feedback.
Kind Regards, Joan.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Joan

There are a couple of Premier Inns in Manchester.
Which one are you staying at?

Ta Ken
Joan

Post by Joan »

Hi Ken,
It's The Premier Inn - City Centre - North Tower | Victoria Bridge Street, Manchester.
Hopefully very near by.......
Regards, Joan.
hogan

Post by hogan »

Joan, your hotel is very near by - less than 10 mins walk.

Disregard all the nonsense about football hooligans. It is a big game and Manchester will be busy but any trouble tends to be organised these days and only directed at willing participants. It will be mainly City fans around after the game as they are at home, United tend to steer well clear on these occasions. The problem you might find with pubs is finding one open as sometimes an unnecessary siege mentality can prevail on derby day.

At least you don't have to go to Liverpool!

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”