CONCERT REPORT: Bournemouth, November 11

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
missteyed

Re: Bournemouth, November 11

Post by missteyed »

Thanks Diana, and everyone else for all your lovely comments. Yeah, the shot of him looking out to sea is particularly poignant. I must admit my daughter took that one, she thought it would make a good picture. Thats after we had our photo's taken with him and the one where he's walking down the path my daughter took a sneaky one under her arm as he past us again. But what the three of us thought was really strange, was that we could'nt speak to him again, dont get me wrong we could have done but we did'nt want to. It was like, we'd had our picture's with him and that was it, you could'nt then go and get your programme or t-shirt and go up to him again and get him to sign it. That just would'nt have seemed right, and also we did'nt want anyone else to recognise him or impose thereself on him (not sure if you understand what I mean). It was like we'd had our special moment and we'd already spoilt his walk and we did'nt want anyone else to. So thanks again, Jim
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Jim..

I don't think you spoiled his walk in the least. I think what his management wants to avoid are crowds at stage doors and dozens of people shoving programmes and whatever at him. He definitely needs "down time" to rest and rejuvenate, although I wish I had his secret for energy ;-)

When he is alone on the streets and someone recognizes him he always seems to be so humble and friendly and accomodating. He seems to know there is a bond between artist and adoring fan and is always a gentleman, and I think genuinely pleased to interact however briefly.

Take care. Diana..
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Jim, thanks for sharing your experience of meeting Leonard in the car park and the great pictures!
What a thrill that must of been. And I don't think Leonard felt imposed upon or he would not have
followed you through the parking lot to meet your daughter. It seems like he enjoyed the encounter
too.

P.S. Leonard gazing out to sea is now my screen saver!
-Friscogrl
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

friscogrl wrote:P.S. Leonard gazing out to sea is now my screen saver!
-Friscogrl
ditto here Friscogrl, but why doesn't this happen to us? I've been hanging around Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff ...

BM
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Hi BM, well we may still have our chance with him touring the Pacific after the New Year
and hopefully the US in the Spring!

Frisco
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

What is this with touring the Pacific? How do you tour an ocean?

But won't it be great for you (not me) to see him in San Francisco?

BM
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Bournemouth, November 11

Post by sturgess66 »

I don't know if this was ever posted here but there are some wonderful pictures of Leonard and his band and singers at this blog. Since they were taken at the Bournemouth show - I'm copying it here in this thread. There are already some other wonderful pictures here in this thread - from missteyed from his chance meeting with Leonard! :D :D

The pictures don't seem to want to be copied so you will have to click on the link to see them -
http://taffysmith.com/leonard-cohen-in-concert/
Leonard Cohen in Concert

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 11:02pm Posted in Photo Journals

I will always remember the first time I saw Len Cohen on stage, it was the back in the Autumn of 2008 in the evening of the day my beloved Welsh rugby team were beaten by the world champions South Africa at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales. That evening four of us set off for the concert in the International Arena, we were seated one row from the back wall! I should point out that I have been a LC fan forever. I am often told his music is mournful, sorrowful and melancholy - but not for me, I could listen to him every day of my life, and most days I do. It was quite a performance. There were clearly many there who were not sure what to expect, with lots of shuffling and whispering during the first couple of songs, then the transformation. Wow! Suddenly everyone seemed spellbound, LC was on stage for over two hours and there wasn’t a dull moment. The musicians were right out of the top drawer but Javiar Mas on the twelve string guitar and bandorria really did it for me. (His Album Tamiz is worth a listen). Helping out with the vocals were Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters who just couldn’t have been bettered. It’s unlikely I will ever experience such an accomplished bunch of musicians on the same stage again, unless I get to another LC concert that is! It was a moving and almost spiritual occasion.

The following day back home in Winchester, Pam my wife, was reading the Sunday papers and stumbled across an article about LC. It referred to his forthcoming sold out concert at the Bournemouth International Arena the following Wednesday. Well it wasn’t quite sold out there was one seat left - in the front row and it became mine. As on the Saturday previous the show was awesome, this time I was almost on the stage with him - and this time I had my cameras! In the first half I used my Canon G9 without a flash on a high ISO. At the break I set up the bigger Nikon D300 - and security descended on me. As much as I tried to convince the the boss man that a camera is a camera is a camera, you get the gist, he wasn’t having any of it. So back to the G9 for the second half. I did sneak a few with the Nikon at the end, I wasn’t too bothered about being thrown out then.

If you are ever within a thousand miles of a Leonard Cohen concert - go and see him.

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”