We are looking for "One-line praises" of the tour

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Pete

Re: We are looking for "One-line praises" of the tour

Post by Pete »

From The Mail on Sunday (14th Dec)

' ..............a great songwriter finally achieved popular success in his mid-70's. he didn't even release a record in 2008, yet the man of the year, without much doubt, is Leonard Cohen.
His comeback tour opened at the Manchester Opera House with 11 outstanding songs in a row, and never looked back. Cohen and his band served up more treats in one evening than Bob Dylan has managed in 20 years of the Never-Ending Tour.
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Pete wrote:From The Mail on Sunday (14th Dec)
Cohen and his band served up more treats in one evening than Bob Dylan has managed in 20 years of the Never-Ending Tour.
Pete
We Dylan fans not made of wood you know, we have feelings too:-(
My only consolation is that the line came from the Mail on Sunday.

BTW what's the news when the tour reaches Australia and New Zealand .
Will Xavier Mas still have that old fella singing in his band?

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Pete

Post by Pete »

liverpoolken wrote:
Pete wrote:From The Mail on Sunday (14th Dec)
Cohen and his band served up more treats in one evening than Bob Dylan has managed in 20 years of the Never-Ending Tour.
Pete
We Dylan fans not made of wood you know, we have feelings too:-(
My only consolation is that the line came from the Mail on Sunday.

BTW what's the news when the tour reaches Australia and New Zealand .
Will Xavier Mas still have that old fella singing in his band?

Ta Ken
Hi Ken
I somehow guessed you would respond :)
I'm only repeating what I read :)
The Mail on Sunday doesn't lie you know :lol:
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Andrzej Urbanski (Interview, Gala, 17.08.2008)

"Napisałem już kilkanaście opowiadań, z których część była publikowana w podziemiu. Dotyczą głównie relacji uczuciowych. Opisałem stan wojenny od innej strony: jak się ludzie kochają, zdradzają, nienawidzą, podziwiają. Jak potrafią być wspaniali i okrutni. Leonard Cohen był dla mnie ważniejszy niż Kaczmarski: „Jesteś w tym niebieskim prochowcu, dziewczyno. I nigdy ci tego nie wybaczę, że odeszłaś. Chociaż to jest oczywiście moja wina, że musiałaś odejść, prawda ?”. "

"I wrote as many as a dozen or so short stories, from whom the part was published in the underground. They concern emotional relations mainly. I described the martial law from other side: when people love themselves, they are betraying, they hate, they are admiring. How they are able to be wonderful and cruel. Cohen was Leonard for me more important than Kaczmarski: „ you are in this blue raincoat, girl. And I will never forgive you it, that you walked away. At least it is of course my fault that you had to walk away, truth ? "

jeremek
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Wojciech Mann (Interview, GALA, 6.03.2008)

" GALA: Podobno pisał pan teksty piosenek?
W.M.: Tak. Dramatycznie miłosne były te teksty, byłem bowiem pod silnym wpływem Leonarda Cohena.
"

" GALA: supposedly you wrote texts of songs ?
W.M.: So. Dramatically these texts were amorous, because I was under the strong influence of Leonard Cohen.
"

:) jeremek
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Friendliest "confessing" two persons who were at a concert in Warsaw 1.10.2008:

" Recordings aren't conveying the magic , which Cohen is able to enchant. "

" Master of words. And champion of the note. Double champion. Winsome in addition as ever with the modesty, with humility, with self-mockery. I was moved to tears. "
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

On Sunday December 28 2008 De Telegraaf, a article looking back on this year written, by Bart Wijlaars;

Troubadour on age, Leonard Cohen gave the most beautiful, best and dearest concert of 2008. On a beautiful rainy Saturday evening in July he performed in the Westerpark Amsterdam.

Wijbe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Heike

Post by Heike »

Another one from Germany:

"Sein Konzert am Mittwochabend in der Frankfurter Festhalle geriet zum Triumph eines Poeten und Performers, den Bescheidenheit und Souveränität so schön kleiden wie sein dunkler Anzug."

His concert on Wednesday evening in Frankfurt's Festhalle turned out a triumph for a poet and performer whose modesty and aplomb become him just as well as his dark suit.

(Rose-Maria Gropp, Frankfurter Allgemeine, October 31st, 2008)
robby

Post by robby »

Der es fertigbrachte, mit seiner alten Stimme vor 12 000 Menschen ein Gedicht aufzusagen, und alle waren still. "So still", dachte der Herr D, "wird es hier nie wieder sein. Auch dann nicht, wenn kein Mensch hier ist."

With his old voice he managed to recite a poem in front of a crowd of 12000 and the hall went quiet. "So quiet", thought Mr. D, "it will never be here again. Even if there isn't anybody."

Sorry, a little bit more than "one line", but it is so true!!
Taken from:
Herr D. und Leonard Cohen, column in "Frankfurter Rundschau Online" 8.10.2008

http://www.fr-online.de/in_und_ausland/ ... Cohen.html
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

A night not to be missed and a concert never to be forgotten!

I haven't seen this written but a newspaper somewhere in the world must surely have done so, it is, after all, exactly what the concerts have been, and still are.

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”