CONCERT REPORT: Helsinki, October 10

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

CONCERT REPORT: Helsinki, October 10

Post by jarkko »

September 29 - 1/1 page article in Turun Sanomat (newspaper, Turku)
October 3 - interview clip from 1985 + the newer video of Dance me in the POP archive program of Yle TV
October 5 - radio documentary made in 1970 by Hector (Radio Suomi)
October 8 - Leonard Cohen on Stage (Radio Vega, 23:06 - they're playing Field Commander Cohen)
October 9 - Sharon and Javier Mas in the Finnish morning TV (TV1) with live performance of "Summertime" and interview with Sharon
October 9 - interview with Jarkko in Aamulehti (newspaper, Tampere),
http://www.aamulehti.fi/uutiset/kulttuu ... sta/108776
October 9 - promotional article in Ilta=Sanomat (evening paper)
October 10 - interview with Sharon in Helsingin Sanomat (biggest daily newspaper)
October 10 - interview with Jarkko in Suomen Kuvalehti (weekly magazine)
October 12 - concert review in Helsingin Sanomat (also in this thread)
October 12 - concert review in Turun Sanomat (also in this thread)
October 12 - concert review in Aamulehti (also in this thread)
October 12 - concert review in Keskisuomalainen (also in this thread)
October 12 - concert review in Satakunnan Kansa (also in this thread)
October 12 - concert review in Etelä-Suomen Sanomat
October 13 - column/interview with Jarkko - Etelä-Suomen Sanomat
October 16 - a long (2 pages) feature article/interview with Jarkko in Sana (Religious magazine); Leonard also on the cover viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12508&p=139834#p139834

Jos havaitsette muita, niin ilmoitelkaa minulle! / Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
tomsakic

Re: Helsinki concert in the Finnish Media (summary)

Post by tomsakic »

Who's that Jarkko guy giving interviews all the time? He's not from the band 8)
jarkko
Site Admin

Helsinki, October 10

Post by jarkko »

Hartwall Areena in Helsinki (sold out, 11.000 tickets)

Some first feelings only, to get this thread going. We have many members here in Helsinki this weekend, so no time for longer comments yet! Eija and I also shot a few pix - looking forward to sorting them out next week!

We had a perfect day yesterday, a very moving and sentimental day, too – to be honest we never believed that we’d see Leonard again live on stage in Helsinki, so this was in some way a dream that came true!

Waiting for the Miracle was moved to the second set (it replaced Avalanche). The songs on the right were in reserve. With a 20 min break the concert was 3:30 partly thanks to the response from the audience!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Miia

Re: Helsinki, October 10

Post by Miia »

Sentimental indeed. I went through all feelings from hysteric laugh to deep sorrow and utmost happiness, my first time to see, hear, and feel Leonard et al. so close. His optimism and love are of infectious sort, and finally wiped out the melancholy of it all ending. Sharon and the Webb sisters were shining like sun!

A warm thank-you to the two kind fans in the first row who selflessly let me squeeze in to sit on the floor between their legs. You have big heart. It was more important to me than you might guess.

Have a beautiful weekend,
Miia
Xandra

Post by Xandra »

I was there yesterday. What an evening!

My place was rather back (on the floor though), so I saw Mr. Cohen best from the monitors. When the official part of the evening was over I rushed towards the stage to get to see my idol as close as possible. That part was unreal and I still get goosepumbs thinking about it. He's such a sweetheart and was so gracious to indulge us so many times.

Thank you Mr. Cohen! I'll never forget that evening.
pissinginthewind

Post by pissinginthewind »

This was my first time seeing the master live as well. And what a heavenly gig it was! Thank you, Mr. Cohen!

Sincerely,
a friend
ilkka

Post by ilkka »

For the past 15 years I have been kicking myself for not attending Leonard Cohen's concert in Helsinki in 1993 on the Future tour... I lived just by the old Ice Hall where he played and passed by the place arriving from the airport an hour before the concert started. Just was a bit too tired that evening and couldn't be bothered. I was young and stupid then, just turned 20...

I had read many excellent reviews from this tour but still I have to say that my expectations were surpassed so much. I was very fortunate to be able to get a ticket on first row on floor level, it was so close to the stage it felt that I could touch Leonard and the musicians. It felt so intimate.

When the concert started and Dance Me to the End of Love started I felt so happy to finally see Leonard Cohen live. This music and these fantastic musicians really brought out emotions. The Future was fantastic, with all the things happening around the world at the moment this song really hit the chord. It is of course impossible to pick out the best songs but in addition to the above mentioned, highlights for me were Everybody Knows, In my Secret Life, Who by Fire, Hallelujah, Democracy, Take this Waltz, First we take Manhattan, Famous Blue Raincoat, If it be your Will and a fantastic Closing Time.

This was a fantastic evening filled with so much happiness. Leonard is truly a fantastic person, a true gentleman with grace. Musicians were great too, it really felt that everybody on stage - and off stage, audience included - were a part of an extended family.

Miia, you're welcome. It was very nice talking to you last night and I hope you had a good time at Vltava afterwards. Hope to see you again at Leonard's concert - hopefully with first row tickets for both of us!
Kailottaja

Post by Kailottaja »

Oct. 10, 2008 was indeed a very good day in Helsinki.

It started off with the annual celebration of Finnish literature, on the special day dedicated to Aleksis Kivi, who set the lasting foundation of Finnish literature.

By noon we received the news that Martti Ahtisaari is the winner of this year's Nobel Peace Award. - Though the world is such a complex place that even peace can not be achieved with unanimous approval, we nevertheless consider that Mr. Ahtisaari has great merits, and is entitled to the award.

And last, but not least. In the evening we enjoyed the gentleman of the stage, Leonard Cohen performing in Helsinki.

If Aleksis Kivi is definitely all about words, so must a negotiator of peace also be. And everybody knows how central words are in Leonard Cohen's work. This was truly a day celebrating the power of words. - And all true literature, all true words can not be against peace.

So, thank you Leonard Cohen.
Thank you for crowning the day.
Thank you for your words, wit, and music.
Thank you for your compassion.
Thank you for the way you take your audience.
Thank you for the great group of vocalists and instrumentalists.
Thank you !

Yours truly,
Kailottaja
Ossian

Post by Ossian »

Indeed an unforgettable evening last night in Helsinki,
Thank you Leonard for your songs and words, and the compassion in your art.

Leonard Cohen has been a hero of mine for 15 years now so I was more than happy to see him and his incredible group of musicians live for the first time. I never knew that its possible to build that kind of atmopshere to a place like Hartwall Arena. Its incredible to watch 11000 people sitting still and silent. Devouring every little detail presented from the stage.

The setlist was also great, so many highlights. Maybe Partisan was the greatest. That song has such a ghostly feeling and leonard and the band truly delivered. Seems that Avalanche was dropped from the set, I would have loved to hear that one specially. It was the first few minutes of Songs Of Love And Hate that turned me into Cohen fandom originally.

I was excited to find New Skin For The Old Ceremony T-Shrts available, so I had to buy a souvenir also!

Thank You Leonard, Im your fan.
ossian
"we are ugly but we have the music"
Juergiano

Post by Juergiano »

Aaaah, you got The Partisan...I´m envious now :o
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

http://www.hs.fi/kulttuuri/artikkeli/Le ... 5240157449

Helsingin Sanomat is our biggest daily newspaper (circulation about 500.000)
Leonard Cohen ei tarvinnut turhia elkeitä
Julkaistu: 11.10.2008 10:34
Pertti Avola
Helsingin Sanomat

Leonard Cohenin intiimi ja täyteläinen soundi ei kärsinyt Helsingin Areenan suuressa tilassa.

Konsertti. Joskus 1970-luvun alussa näin Robert Altmanin elokuvan McCabe & Mrs Miller. Päähenkilön taivaltaessa lumen ja loskan halki kohti vuoristokaupunkia elokuvan ääniraidalta kuului yksinkertaisuudessaan täysin hypnoottinen laulu. Se oli Leonard Cohenin The Stranger Song. En ollut koskaan kuullut mitään sellaista.

Enkä ole vieläkään – paitsi Cohenin esittämänä.

The Stranger Songia ei Cohenin viidennellä Suomen-keikalla perjantai-iltana kuultu, mutta mahtava annos hänen tunnetuimpia laulujaan kuitenkin. Cohen (s. 1934) vaikutti erinomaisen vetreältä ja hyväkuntoiselta niin henkisesti kuin fyysisestikin konsertissa, jonka hän omisti juuri Nobelin rauhanpalkinnon voittaneelle Martti Ahtisaarelle.

Alkuun pelkäsin, ettei Cohenin intiimi ilmaisu istuisi Areenan hehtaarihalliin, mutta olin väärässä. Kuusimiehinen yhtye ja kolme taustalaulajaa, brittiläiset Webbin sisarukset Hattie ja Charlie sekä Cohenin viimeaikainen yhteistyökumppani Sharon Robinson, saivat aikaan täyteläisen ja lämpimän soundin. Kerrankin jokin kuulosti Areenassa hyvältä.

Cohen on runoilija, josta tuli romaanikirjailija ja viimein maailmankuulu laulaja-lauluntekijä. Pohjimmiltaan hän on silti runoilija, vahvojen kielikuvien luoja, jolle musiikki antaa mahdollisuuden välittää taidettaan laajemmalle.

Konsertin ohjelmisto kattoi Cohenin koko musiikkiuran, vaikka paino olikin hieman hänen uudemmalla tuotannollaan, tuoreinta studiolevyä Dear Heather (2004) lukuun ottamatta. Vuodet ovat tuoneet Cohenin aina matalan ääneen vielä lisää käheyttä ja syvyyttä, mutta se antaa vain lisää ulottuvuutta hänen elämää, kuolemaa, uskoa ja rakkautta ruotiviin lauluihinsa.

Liituraitapukuun ja tyylikkääseen hattuun pukeutunut Cohen ei tarvinnut mitään ylimääräistä välittääkseen vaikutelman aitoudesta, rehellisyydestä ja luontevasta suhteesta yleisön kanssa. Todellinen tähti on se, joka ei kaipaa tähden elkeitä ollaakseen vakuuttava ja viihdyttävä. Ja molempia Cohen oli.

Pitkään kappalekavalkaadiin kuului myös huumoria sekä uudenlaisia sovituksia, jotka pitivät mielenkiinnon yllä. Bird on a Wire esimerkiksi kuultiin valtavan tyylikkäänä bluesballadina. Ja oli myös hauska kuulla sellaisia harvemmin kuultuja lauluja kuin The Gypsy's Wife ja Heart With No Companion.

Näin Cohenin konsertin edellisen kerran joskus 1980-luvulla, ja se on mielessäni yhä upeana elämyksenä. Tämä, ikääntyvän mestarin ehkä viimeinen Suomen-keikka, ei jäänyt yhtään jälkeen.
Päivi from Finland

Post by Päivi from Finland »

The finnish people had double-celebration 10th october 2008: we have got the Nobel prize and the most charismatic phenomen of music in Finland on the same day!!
I nearly cried, when Leonard told that he will dedicate Helsinki concert to Martti Ahtisaari. That was really touching and heartfelt.

In Finland we all must be happy to notice that the maestro is healthy and visibly glad. The atmosphere in Hartwall Arena could not have been more intensive and sensitive!

I also want to thank Leonard! Together with my husband we asked the song "waiting for the miracle" and we got it! There has NEVER existed an artist, who listens to his admirers like Leonard did on saturday in Helsinki! We are so grateful! It is possible for Leonard to hear from Jarkko, why The Mircle is so important for us!!

The concert was perfect, even better than in Copenhagen!! Thank You, Leonard!!
Päivi from Finland

1993: Helsinki
2008: Copenhagen, Helsinki
2009: Budapest, Barcelona
2010:Helsinki, Stuttgart
2012:Ghent 17th and 18th Aug, Helsinki, Bucharest
2013:Brussels, Berlin, Pula, Stockholm, Oslo, Amsterdam
Minna

Post by Minna »

Last edited by Minna on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
a new petition for Troy Davis at http://amnestyusa.org/troydavis
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

http://www.ts.fi/kulttuuri/arvostelut/? ... :0:0:0:0:0
Turun Sanomat, Turku (newspaper)

Julkaistu 12.10.2008 2:31:11

74-vuotias Leonard Cohen esiintyi yli kolme tuntia
Laululyriikan helmiä palvovalle yleisölle
• Leonard Cohen Helsingin Hartwall Areenassa perjantaina 10. lokakuuta.

Idols -ohjelmassa varoitetaan nuorukaisia pitämästä silmiään kiinni, koska sillä tavalla ei mukamas voi saada kontaktia yleisöön. Leonard Cohen lauloi ison osan odotetusta Suomen-keikastaan silmät kiinni, ja tunnelma jotakuinkin täydessä hallissa oli kaikkea muuta kuin etäinen.

Edes Bob Dylania ei palvottu taannoisessa Hartwallin-konsertissaan yhtä varauksettomasti kuin Cohenia perjantaina. Kaikki mitä Cohen sanoi, palkittiin huumaavilla aplodeilla. Muutenkin yleisö kannusti guruaan niin, että välillä ihan hirvitti.

Mutta Cohen ei tyytynyt vain paistattelemaan suosiossa. Taukoineen liki kolme ja puoli tuntia kestänyt konsertti oli taatusti melkoinen urakka 74-vuotiaalle miehelle.

Myöhäistuotanto istui bändille paremmin

Ilta käynnistyi Various Positionsin (1984) hitillä Dance Me To The End Of Lovella, joka osoitti heti alkuun, että levyllä enemmän tai vähemmän muovisista soundeista kärsivä myöhäistuotanto on pohjimmiltaan kelpo tavaraa. Osaltaan tunnelmaa lämmitti Cohenin kappaleen jälkeen tuoreelle nobelistillemme Martti Ahtisaarelle antama tunnustus.

Vaikka aliarvostettuun Death Of A Ladies’ Maniin (1977) - jolta ei valitettavasti kuultu ainoatakaan kappaletta - ulottuva varhainen tuotanto levyllä hakkaakin myöhemmän materiaalin, lavalla ammattitaitoinen bändi oli enemmän kotonaan myöhemmän tuotannon parissa. Kehnoimmin yhtyeen aikuissovitukset istuivat Bird On The Wiren ja So Long, Mariannen kaltaisiin intiimeihin alkutaipaleen lauluihin, semminkin kun Cohenin ääni ei enää taivu niin kuin nelisenkymmentä vuotta sitten.

Konsertin kohokohdiksi nousivat hieman yllättäen I’m Your Manin (1988) kasarihitit Ain´t No Cure For Love, Everybody Knows, First We Take Manhattan, Tower Of Song ja Take This Waltz. Tower Of Song jäi mieleen jo siksi, että siinä Cohen teki numeron olemattomista kosketinsoittajan kyvyistään. Kappaleen aluksi maestro käynnisti kompin yhdestä napista, ja kömpelyyttään korostaakseen lurautti biisin mittaan muutamia yksikätisiä sooloja - jotka yleisö tietysti palkitsi innostunein taputuksin.

Vain yksi biisi peittosi I´m Your Manin hititkin, Various Positionsin klassikko Hallelujah, joka teki sen, mihin samaa kappaletta tapailleet Idols -kisaajat eivät koskaan ole pystyneet: sai ihon kananlihalle. Levyllä originaaliversio häviää jo edesmenneen Jeff Buckleyn ylimaalliselle tulkinnalle, mutta lavalla Cohen nosti laulunsa sfääreihin, joissa oli vaikea olla yhtymättä taivaalliseen kertosäkeeseen. Hallelujah!

Konsertti, joka muistetaan

Niin kevyesti kuin Cohen kipittikin lavalle esittämään yhä uusia encoreita, ikä alkaa jo näkyä lauluntekijän olemuksessa. Vaikka herra uutta levyä valmisteleekin, en yhtään ihmettelisi, jos tämänkertainen kiertue jäisi viimeiseksi. Siksikin jokaisen paikalle hankkiutuneen kannattaa onnitella itseään: hulvattoman pitkä ja pienine puutteineenkin kertakaikkisen upea konsertti on niitä tapahtumia, joita muistellaan vielä vuosienkin päästä.

Toivottavasti konsertti myös lisää kiinnostusta Cohenin kirjallista tuotantoa kohtaan, sillä nimenomaan kirjoittajahan Cohen on aina ollut. Jos ette usko, tutustukaa vaikka Kaipauksen kirjaan (Sammakko 2008) tai minkä tahansa albumin tekstivihkoon.

TUOMO KARHU
Kailottaja

Post by Kailottaja »

One thing should also be mentioned with praise. The sound quality in Leonard Cohen's magnificent concert in Helsinki.
Pertti Avola's review in Helsingin Sanomat (Oct. 12, 2008) noted this admirably, and the fact was so noticeable (and extremely important to the success of the concert); "... for once something souded good in the (Hartwall) Arena."
So, the sound magicians (not merely technicians) deserve a special "THANK YOU!"
Does anyone know who those (usually nameless) wizards were?
-Kailottaja

***Complete list of the crew is at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/band2008.html / Jarkko***

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”