CONCERT REPORT: Prague, September 27

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jeremek

CONCERT REPORT: Prague, September 27

Post by jeremek »

What happened ? People from Prague, where you are ? Your relation is missing ! We are waiting :)

J. ;-)
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
Arkady

Re: Praha, Sept.27-2008

Post by Arkady »

wait, wait :razz:
I'll write something short today

The concert was sold out (of course) but no big media coverage and few reviews that I found was not in top stories :D

I post setlist at least.
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

I was a little upset when Cohen's concert in August at Prague's Castle was unconfirmed.
Anyway I subscribed to mailing list in one of the e-tickets companies and was surprised when I received an email that Mr. Cohen will follow his Summer Tour with new concerts. There was a short period of ticket's sells only to subscribers before official announcement and even if the price was slightly above usuall level (eg Iron Maiden, Queen and other concerts this season in Prague), all 8000 places was sold out almost immediately.

As the stage they selected old hockey arena (finished in 1962), there is a good view from all places but sound in corners and in upper parts of the arena are not so good for this type of music. Fortunately, people complained after three first songs and sound engineers made their best and people was satisfied for the rest of the show.

We have seats on the left part with good view to the podium, for details there were two big screens on each side. The show begun few minutes after 8pm, Mr. COhen ran from backstage full of elan. A lot of people hurried to their places, it was little inconvenient during first two songs.

Between songs there was small "intros", just remarks or notes but it was funny and people enjoyed it. First part was professional but after Everybody Knows it improved to fantastic performance. In My Secret Life and Who By Fire were amazing, I got "goose flesh" listening his voice.

The break let almost everyone on their seats.

After the break Mr. Cohen started alone, with electric piano and quote "Don't be afraid, I start this machine, it is automatic" but during song he performed several passages with skill.

One big song after another followed and people applauded to some indivudal performances by band members. Especially dancing Webb Sisters had success :D

As people sometime spontaneously start clapping to the rhytm, Heart With No COmpanion moved them up from their seats so after last song of the standard part nobody leave the stage and So Long Marianne quickly follows.

Mr. Cohen and the band leave podium three times but they were always summoned back ;)
After his recital If it be your will That I speak no more there was silence like in the church and I suppose that show is over, but from the dark harp and crystal voices of The Webb Sisters hypnotized entire arena. After that a lot of people from back part moved just before the stage but as anyone was standing it was no problem.

Final (third) introduction of the band during Whither Thou Goest was followed by wish of good night and safe way back to home through chilly night, everyone know that show is after more than 3 hours over.

As friend od mine said, I feel like at Christmas time...

Very nice night, I'm happy that I have a chance to visit this concert.

Setlist for Prague show (i hope that I don't forgot something)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12334#p137697

---
Some link to reviews (in czech)
http://kultura.idnes.cz/leonard-cohen-s ... 0_hudba_ob
http://www.novinky.cz/clanek/150598-coh ... -svet.html
http://ihned.cz/c4-10073040-28367930-00 ... -s-cohenem
---

ps: Sorry for errors 8)
Last edited by Arkady on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

Well, I found some You Tube videos from the Prague's concert

So long, Marianne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGvIJG9sa64

The Future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwKXPu9j9I0

First We Take Manhatten
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9xSYdJZbIo
slownight

Post by slownight »

Thank you, Arkady, for the lovely report which conveys the atmosphere so well, and the YouTube links - can't wait for Birmingham NEC!
Boss_Bellini

Post by Boss_Bellini »

It was an absolutely amazing gig, I can say the best I've ever seen and I've seen a lots of gigs.
Wonderful sound and view from the second row.
Big thanks to Leonard, The BAND and The wonderful Webb Sisters !
Cis

Post by Cis »

Hello, I have to agree with Arkady - my way to tickets and my feeling from the concert are the same. Overall: Amazing, splended experience.
I'm happy that i could be one of 8000 fortunates :-) Thank you Mr. Cohen not only for this evening.
Cis

Post by Cis »

[quote="Arkady"] As the stage they selected old hockey arena (finished in 1962), there is a good view from all places but sound in corners and in upper parts of the arena are not so good for this type of music. Fortunately, people complained after three first songs and sound engineers made their best and people was satisfied for the rest of the show.

On the side parts there was heard the echo of part of drums from back wall of the hall. But as you wrote: the arena is not built for this kind of music. But it's only little rub.
dranoel

Post by dranoel »

It wasn't concert, it was the high mass. I have no words for such performance. Great setlist! The best gig I've ever seen!
God bless Leonard Cohen
ronnievv

Post by ronnievv »

Well, what more is there to say? I went to see a legend and I left the hall feeling like I've just been part of something out of this world. If I had never heard a single Leonard's song before, I'd be a fan now; as it is, I'm still in shock - pleasant shock - and considering flying over to UK for another dose of eternity (sorry if it sounds clichéed. but I really cannot find another suitable word) :oops: Ronnie
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Great thanks, Arkady ! For all words. It was worthwhile waiting for a dozen or so hours on the forum :D
I am greeting you

jeremek

/A fact that there is a cooperation between spectators and organizers pleases me (sound)/
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
confetti

Post by confetti »

glad you had a good night Arkady, I am so jealous of everyone getting to the fall tour.

Arkady is your name anything to do with babyshambles?
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
mirka

Post by mirka »

ronnievv wrote:I'm still in shock - pleasant shock - and considering flying over to UK for another dose of eternity (sorry if it sounds clichéed. but I really cannot find another suitable word) :oops: Ronnie
Welcome to The Club of Leonard Cohen Addicts, ronnievv :D :razz: :D
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Lucca

Post by Lucca »

Thanks to all of you who could write a few words about the breathtaking Prague concert. I remain speechlees...
geeny

Post by geeny »

I went to the show with my sister and I was sure she didn't know anything about Leonard till then. But it was pleasent surprise hearing her singing along when Hallelujah started. :) My first Leonard Cohen show was wonderfull. I was bit annoyed by long flamenco solo's but then again man himself was pure genius. I will never forget jokes about mirrors, the answer about meaning of life and wishing all of us to get home safely. We will never forget your songs, Leonard!

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”