CONCERT REPORTS: Vienna, September 24 and 25

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Peter

Re: Vienna, Sept 24 and 25

Post by Peter »

There is a very positive article about LC and the concert in Vienna in this weeks issue of the most critical German magazine "Der Spiegel" (no. 40, p. 166, "Schwermütiger Held", no online version available). Not too much new information, but very nice words about the Concert Hall and the audience ...

Peter

neo

Post by neo »

Here you can download the pdf of the Spiegel article ""Schwermütiger Held"":

http://rapidshare.com/files/149371488/LCohVie.zip
robertwblues

Post by robertwblues »

Amazing! This is just like reading a website devoted to fans of my football team. As I live in Vienna now I don't see their matches live, so find most information from fans reports and comments. Like the reviews of Leonard's 24 September concert in Vienna, it is as if some of them have attended a different game (sic). I can't believe some of the comments about the concert.
I will not repeat my review but will just re-iterate that, in my ever so humble opinion, the sound was perfect. Why the need for more volume? I could hear every word that Leonard and his backing group sang. I could hear all instruments clearly. I could also hear everything he said – except when it was drowned by yet more applause.
I have no wish to hear the audience singing along at a Leonard Cohen concert. He does not encourage it. Why should he?
I do not appreciate people shouting out for songs. This often happened at concerts that I have attended in Liverpool and Manchester in the past, and was often cringe-making and boring. The artist has his/her own set list. It has been assembled for a purpose. Artistic discretion, folks. I should add that, having had a bit of an LC fest in preparation for the concert, I have just discovered the beauty of “Last Years Man”. There is no way that I would have shouted it out (from 4 rows back in the Balkon). If I had people would probably have assumed that I was referring to myself! :D
So, as with the football fans, lets all respect one another as we all share one obvious thing in common.
Lets enjoy what we have seen, be thankful for this wonderful tour and not get too concerned about what may or may not have happened during other concerts. No two will ever be the same - and besides...............
"Comparisons are odorous" [Much Ado About Nothing]
mirka

Post by mirka »

Why review of the Viennese concert in a German magazine, while there were (and will be) concerts in Germany ?
Probably this is how Vienna keeps the rank of "the most musical city in the world" in public opinion. I wonder if the author was possibly the well-to-do snoozing gentelman mentioned by paddyproust ?
On the other side - no prominent musical writer went to the Atlantic Canada shows. Mostly they weren't even mentioned in official reviews - the tour started in Toronto as far as musical critics were concerned. Personally of the 4 shows that I saw I liked Canadian venues most.
Quite funny how the world works. :shock:
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
maychild1961

Post by maychild1961 »

I saw the concert on Sept. 25th and I am still struggling for words. The moment he started singing I had tears streaming down my face. If I never see a concert in my life again - I'll die a happy woman, having experienced this one. What a gentle and wonderful man Leonard Cohen is. I particularly love the twinkle in his eyes. Just like good wine, he has aged very well and I find him more sexy than when he was younger - if this is at all possible. God bless you my man!
Aimend

Post by Aimend »

Hi guys
I was on 24th. It just might be I'm delusional but did anyone else see mr Cohen in the lobby downstairs before the concert??? :lol:
richardrj

Post by richardrj »

I would say that was extremely unlikely to have been Cohen.

The 25th show is up on Dimeadozen now but the sound quality is not great.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

golo99 wrote:People are saying if you want to sing along, sing along at home. Wrong way round mate. If you want to listen to LC in his purest form, listen to him at home, preferably on headphones. If you want to listen to him somewhere where (depending on the venue) between 1,639 and 39,999 other LC fans are present, expect a bit of noise, huh?
Really, it's very simple. If I don't sing along I don't spoil golo99's enjoyment. If he does sing along, then he does spoil my enjoyment. So don't do it.

If any one next to me dares to sing along, after one warning I will put my fingers in his eyes so that he can have back some of the pain he is causing me.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Laura

Post by Laura »

Am I allowed a very low singalong without the danger of losing my eyes, Hydriot? :)
I don't think I am really loud enough to be heard (and I think being THAT loud is very bad manners), but I must admit I can't resist it. One of my best memories from the Bucharest concert is singing along together with the guy I was with, and meeting each other on the same word sometimes, and smiling. I think we made a deeper connection through those few shared words that than we might have made in hours and hours of talking.

Sorry to interrupt this thread, though. I found it intriguing. Most of the Cohen concert reports I read are quite ecstatic-but in this thread there is so much fighting, and complaints... Too bad.

Laura
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

A few weeks ago we were at a concert when a female couple next to us began indulging in sexual petting .
They were emotionally caught up in the music i suppose.
Some people might consider that they had every right to do this?
Some people would tell them to cut it out.
Some people might suffer in silence.
Did we join in?
Should we have?
I'm Interested in peoples thoughts.
Laura

Post by Laura »

What concert and, hmmm... how sexual?!
Laura
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Laura wrote:Am I allowed a very low singalong without the danger of losing my eyes, Hydriot? :)
Of course, Laura. For you I will make an exception. Anyone who has been to Hydra gets a special dispensation.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thank you, Hydriot. That means I must go back there. ;-) Maybe someday we might even get to meet!
Laura
neo

Post by neo »

Much to my surprise I just saw an ad for "The Essential Leonard Cohen" on Austrian TV.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

It has taken a while but I just wanted to make a few observations.

People on this forum have commented, both favorably & unfavorably, on the number of times LC introduced his band and singers. I took the time to make notes on the first night and noticed that the only time someone was introduced was to pay homage to a solo. The exception to this was just before intermission when everyone was noted. Then again, before the encores, all again were named, along with LC giving some of them new very witty titles. And finally, at the end, during 'I Tried To Leave You' all were again graciously recognized after their solos. Are these too many acknowledgements for such great artisans?

During these two concerts, what seemed to be different was the slight changes in phrasing and more intense emphasis on certain words (starting with 'The Future'). I have often wondered how one can continue singing the same words over and over and not get tired of doing it. This has never happened with Mr. Cohen and his performance seems even deeper. Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters also are drawing another level of meaning from the words and are even more
in-tuned to the world of Leonard Cohen.

Another two fantastic (albiet subdued) concerts! Saving my nickels for hopefully many more.
Thank you, thank you Mr. Cohen and entourage!!!

Warmest regards,
Mary

(P.S. Dino, I greatly appreciate your wave of recognition on night 2! Thank you.)
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”