Setlists

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Maarten

Re: Setlists

Post by Maarten »

Hi guys,

Final update for this part of the tour...
I will try and keep this going for the Pacific Tour aswell, but I will need some help from the Aussies down under!

Here's the setlists file upto the last Fall Tour concert in Manchester, November 30 2008:
http://users.telenet.be/maarten.massa/d ... 8-2009.pdf

Again: any mistakes/remarks? Contact me either by pm or email!

NB: I changed the term "recitation" from A Thousand Kisses Deep into "poem". Someone on the forum wrote that it's not a recitation of the song lyrics, but it's the poem that Cohen brings. I think he (she?) had a good argument there, so I changed it. If someone disagrees, let me know!

Bye for now,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
neo

Post by neo »

Thank you very much Maarten!
mreeyore

Post by mreeyore »

Thanks Maarten for a great resource in putting all the setlists in one place. It's been very interesting to watch the small changes to the setlist in the lead up to the shows I've attended. Makes you wonder though why certain songs were dropped or only played a handful of times and why some concerts managed to get a magical 28 songs. Not that I'm complaining, I was incredibly fortunate to hear nearly all of them over the course of the three shows I attended, only missing out on Avalance and Waiting for the Miracle.

One tiny comment, you mark So Long Marianne as the tour debut at Dublin - June 15th. However it had been played many times before this including the very opening night.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Thanks for all your compliments, but this list wouldn't have been possible without the numberous posts by all of the forum members and lots of pm's with corrections! About "So Long Marianne": how on earth did I manage to screw that one up?! I'll change it and upload a new list, thanks for pointing it out. I have marked songs as "tour debut" starting with new songs that were not played on the first night, because they were all "tour debuts" that first night of course... So I'll just delete the "tour debut" behind SLM on the 15th.

Take care,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

By the way:
  • Leonard Cohen sang 33 different songs during the tour so far.
  • Montreal (June 23) and Brussels (October 19) had 28 songs and are in the lead so far!
  • In total, the band performed 86 concerts over a time span of 156 days (the break in between the 2 legs not included):
    --- Summer Leg: May 11 - August 3: 51 concerts in 85 days (1 concert every 1.6 days)
    --- Fall Leg: September 21 - November 30: 35 concerts in 71 days (1 concert every 2 days)

Maarten

Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Maarten wrote:
  • Leonard Cohen sang 33 different songs during the tour so far.

Maarten
Maarten

I echo everyone else here ... you have done a wonderful job. I was adding up my 'score' and I think I was privileged to hear 31 songs and only missed 'Waiting for the Miracle' .. is it possible that he sang 32 songs in all not 33 ... I have looked twice and got the same result ... sorry to be obsessive (nerdish also comes to mind) ... perhaps you counted So long marianne twice ???

cheers

paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Paul,
You could be right! So long, Marianne keeps haunting me... I'll have to count again, but right now I'm at work, so I'll check tonight and let you know.
At least I'm not the only one being obsessed with this kind of ridiculous stuff! Please join the nerds club, it's for free and lots of fun!

Maarten

Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Maarten wrote:Paul,
You could be right! So long, Marianne keeps haunting me... I'll have to count again, but right now I'm at work, so I'll check tonight and let you know.
At least I'm not the only one being obsessed with this kind of ridiculous stuff! Please join the nerds club, it's for free and lots of fun!

Maarten

Great! Nerds - never enough reasons (to) dismiss statistics ? :-)
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
mreeyore

Post by mreeyore »

I was doing the nerd thing yesterday too and concur with Paul that it was 32 songs played over the tour. :) I wonder did anyone manage to catch them all.
Ziyad

Post by Ziyad »

Nerd is the word

Before I went to see Leonard, I compiled a list of songs that are played, had been played or included in the typed list that the band uses, and I make it 35 songs - of which I've seen the first 29 in the 8 shows I've been to (not as good a hit rate as Paul Zagreb and Mreyore). It's possible some of the 35 may be songs that the band rehearsed and included on their printed list of possible songs but that were never actually played live (One of Us Cannot Be Wrong, Passing Thru, There Is A War):

1) Dance Me To The End Of Love (Various Positions)
2) The Future (The Future)
3) Ain't No Cure For Love (I'm Your Man)
4) Bird On A Wire (Songs From A Room)
5) Everybody Knows (I'm Your Man)
6) In My Secret Life (Ten New Songs)
7) Who By Fire (New Skin For The Old Ceremony)
8) Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye (Songs of Leonard Cohen)
9) Sisters of Mercy (Songs of Leonard Cohen)
10) That Don't Make It Junk (Ten New Songs)
11) Chelsea Hotel #2 (New Skin For The Old Ceremony)
12) Anthem (The Future)
13) Tower of Song (I'm Your Man)
14) Suzanne (Songs of Leonard Cohen)
15) The Gypsy's Wife (Recent Songs)
16) The Partisan (Songs From A Room)
17) Boogie Street (Ten New Songs)
18) Hallelujah (Various Positions)
19) I'm Your Man (I'm Your Man)
20) A Thousand Kisses Deep (Ten New Songs)
21) Take This Waltz (I'm Your Man)
22) So Long Marianne (Songs of Leonard Cohen)
23) First We Take Manhattan (I'm Your Man)
24) Famous Blue Raincoat (Songs Of Love And Hate)
25) If It Be Your Will (Various Positions)
26) Closing Time (The Future)
27) Democracy (The Future)
28) I Tried To Leave You (New Skin For The Old Ceremony)
29) Whither Thou Goest
30) Waiting For The Miracle (The Future)
31) Heart With No Companion (Various Positions)
32) Avalanche (Songs Of Love And Hate)
33) There Is A War (New Skin For The Old Ceremony)
34) Passing Thru (Live Songs)
35) One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong (Songs of Leonard Cohen)
1974 London RAH|1976 London RAH, London New Vic x 3|1979 Manchester|1985 London Hamm x 2|1988 London RAH x 3|1993 London RAH x 2|2008 Manchester x 2, Glastonbury, London O2 x 2, Big Chill, London RAH, Brighton|2009 Weybridge|2012 London Wembley|2013 London O2 x 2

"thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, i thought it was there for good so i never tried"
dzzz

Post by dzzz »

well in a way it is OK to count Marianne twice, because at the first few shows of the tour in May they played radically different version of the song (rumba/calypso, something like that with 4/4 beat) which did not exactly work, you can find it on youtube if you care to check it out, then after a few weeks of pause they started playing it again with 3/4 "waltz" beat, the way it was originally written
Ziyad

Post by Ziyad »

That's very interesting dzzz and explains why I thought the version of So Long Marianne was a mess at the beginning of the tour - but have subsequently thought it back to its best. Thanks
1974 London RAH|1976 London RAH, London New Vic x 3|1979 Manchester|1985 London Hamm x 2|1988 London RAH x 3|1993 London RAH x 2|2008 Manchester x 2, Glastonbury, London O2 x 2, Big Chill, London RAH, Brighton|2009 Weybridge|2012 London Wembley|2013 London O2 x 2

"thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, i thought it was there for good so i never tried"
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

My pdf-file has found it's place on my own website, so the url has changed. Please go to
http://www.maartenmassa.be/LCdocs/LC_se ... 8-2009.pdf
to see all setlists.

Maarten

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”