CONCERT REPORT: Bucharest, September 21

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
DrHGuy

Re: Bucharest, September 21

Post by DrHGuy »

Re the beads, Anjani tells me
They are komboloi. He's used them ever since living on Hydra and he gave the band theirs. The one he's using now came from Nana Moskouri when she saw the show in Athens.
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

DrHGuy wrote:Re the beads, Anjani tells me
They are komboloi. He's used them ever since living on Hydra and he gave the band theirs. The one he's using now came from Nana Moskouri when she saw the show in Athens.
I do not need much reminding how much it is posts like this that make me sooooo happy to be on this forum ... I may not know him or even her but I am part of a web forum where someone who does is !! Nana Moskouri will, no doubt, be the next password for the special 2010 tour tickets!

Just before I head to Vienna, does anyone know what happened to Sharon Robinson .. her myspace site still has her performing on the fall leg .. I so hope she'll be there tomorrow!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
METALEHADro

Post by METALEHADro »

Live Footage from the show in Bucharest:
http://www.rocktube.us/Leonard_Cohen_Li ... 03301.html

More Photos from the show here:
http://www.metalhead.ro/Stire-Leonard_C ... 11019.html
KerstinP

Post by KerstinP »

Ken
So, that's the way you treat the presents from your friends? To give them away? Hmmm. :?
I would never do the same with presents I've been given by my Greek friends. :)
But thanks for you offer - since I am a Greek fan I will take a set. :-)
I wonder if there is a difference between "stress busters" or "worry beads"? And if you have a prayer you actually don't need to have "prayer beads" ;-)

As because the Beast I can't speak for it but it seems it/he don't need one - he isn't the worrying type, either and....he is too busy ....with the Berlin meetup :)

Kerstin
bogdanganea

Post by bogdanganea »

"Ah we're drinking and we're dancing
and the band is really happening
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high..." well, this time it was not whisky, but wine. Merlot to be more specific.

Ah, yes. Laura mentioned about me and the famous and mysterious wine bottle.
Well, the story is not that long, really.
We were in the pause at the VIP area, where they served...drinks and snacks. A lot of people there, should I say, and very warm, due to the terrace heaters. So...we're going for our drinks. I saw people with glasses of wine, but didn't pay any attention at the source. Finally, it was my turn, and before asking for something...there it was. The bottle...my precious :) he he. So, to be brief...this was almost the exact conversation:
"Wow. Amazing. Can I take this bottle?"
"I don't know. It is not to be taken" (that was their source for the glasses)
"But...is here...unopened. And I want to take it. Can I?"
"I don't know if you can, but you can try"
"Well, certainly I will try. (And I took it). Look! I took it. Is it OK?"
"Fine by me!"
And so, I placed it in my coat's pocket, I covered it with my jacket and... gone it was. Of course...i took a glass of wine too :D
The bad part was that I had to stay with it all the concert, and at final, when everybody stood up, I was forced to do the same...and then I felt the heaviness. But it was all worth it.
I share with you the bottle 124 of a limited edition of 500.

Bogdan.

dick

Post by dick »

Thanks much for sharing that wonderful picture of the wine! Bet it tastes pretty good too!
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

This seems very cruel on those of us red vino enthusiasts who've been forced to give up (especially LC himself!) But I'll forgive you for that wonderful posting of The Partisan on Youtube. Javier has really got the accompaniment nailed on the whateveritisthingummyjig. I'm not too worried about FBR but can we PLEEEEEASE have The Partisan in Bournemouth, Cardiff, or Birmingham. Why not all three? :oops:
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
Laura

Post by Laura »

Cohen is not drinking wine anymore?! At all?! You know, he got a lot of bottles of wine as a present around here, it seems (including one similar with the one in the pictures).
Laura
dick

Post by dick »

That's what Leonard said in the Maclean's interview early in the tour, Laura. It's referenced on both this site and Marie's Speaking Cohen site. Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

Thanks for taking care of Hazel -- you and Vlad!

Cohen fans rule!
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thank you for pointing out the interview to me, Dick, yes, it's great!
Romanian wine is generally very good, though I don't know that particular brand. But if Cohen doesn't drink anymore... what a waste! ;)

I hope Hazel had a good time, Dick... after all, we are all the big cohenite family!

Laura
jglBB

Post by jglBB »

I would not swear too much on this one Laura.
This photo was taken in Benicassim on July 20th .
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

jglBB wrote: This photo was taken in Benicassim on July 20th .
At 8 O'clock it would seem, from his watch.
As long as that's p.m. I'm sure we can allow that one ;-)
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

I don't blame you for keeping the wine bottle - what a lovely collectors item. As you are a true fan I bet Leonard wouldn't really mind :)
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

The colour of Leonard's drink in that pic posted looks more like a rose or cranberry juice in colour...
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
Dem

Post by Dem »

Since you mentioned "kompoloi"
I'd like to remind you that there
is a whole museum in Greece dedicated
to them:
http://www.komboloi.gr

Also a "compoloi" club:
http://www.kompoloi.org

There are many different kinds