Return to UK/Europe festivals in 2009?

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
scorp

Return to UK/Europe festivals in 2009?

Post by scorp »

Looking back at the phenomenal success of LC at festivals like Glastonbury, the Big Chill and Benicassim (Spain), with their huge and very enthusiastic crowds, got me to wondering if LC & band might be strongly tempted to return in 2009. Surely these crowds and their vibes have an affect on artistes and the promoters....? Thoughts, anyone? Half decent rumours or intimations, any one? The Isle of Wight 2009, 39 years on, would be a gr8 place to kickstart a tour of the festivals. The crowds would go nuts. And so would I :-) I had the good fortune to see LC & band at Glasto and the Big Chill. Phew. There is sooooo much more potential for LC and his band at festivals.
John Etherington

Re: Return to UK/Europe festivals in 2009?

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Scorp,

I can't comment about Leonard at the festivals, becuse the last one I saw was Isle of Wight 1970. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Leonard continues the live performances (at least during the coming year) and especially with a new album on the way.

All good things, John E
scorp

Post by scorp »

you were at iow 1970...kewel. i was hitching south on the A1 and could have gone but didn 't. silly me.

here's a snippet of history for you. audio only, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOUi-KXd3Mw
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

With all due respect but for GAWDS sake after the fall tour he will have performed in the UK and other parts of Europe a million times. Let us in the US have our chance!

Friscogrl
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

I liked the The Big Chill performance in a different way as it was lovely to see the sunset in the sky(music and nature belong together) and the fireworks and big warm fire also all those people who weren't fans who all sang together to Hallelujah and So Long, Marianne - it was beautiful(and more than made up for not being at Glasto)

I have to say I expected more to sing along with Hallelujah at the O2 but more sang along to First We Take Manhattan... I hope more sing along at the Nov O2 gigs it creates such a magical atmosphere :)
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
scorp

Post by scorp »

friscogrl wrote:With all due respect but for GAWDS sake after the fall tour he will have performed in the UK and other parts of Europe a million times. Let us in the US have our chance!

Friscogrl
i was hoping LC & band would be kind enough to visit our summer festivals after visiting the US in the spring. LC created the 'European blues' and we love him :-))
scorp

Post by scorp »

howthelightgetsin wrote:I liked the The Big Chill performance in a different way as it was lovely to see the sunset in the sky(music and nature belong together) and the fireworks and big warm fire also all those people who weren't fans who all sang together to Hallelujah and So Long, Marianne - it was beautiful(and more than made up for not being at Glasto)

I have to say I expected more to sing along with Hallelujah at the O2 but more sang along to First We Take Manhattan... I hope more sing along at the Nov O2 gigs it creates such a magical atmosphere :)
the thing about festivals as distinct from sitting in a hall is that a lot of people are standing shoulder to shoulder - almost heart to heart :-) - and the atmosphere is electric...and they are less restrained, so they sing, and, as at the big chill, shout 'we love you' innumerable times.
pironi

Post by pironi »

I am looking forward to another tour in Southern Europe in summer 2009. I know that several promoters here in Italy are discussing it.
P.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

It is too early to say anything definitive about next summer! The Fall leg comes first, and then, if everything goes well, possibly the Winter and Spring legs!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

jarkko wrote:the Winter and Spring legs!
...but not in Europe ;-)

I also guess that LC will be back next Summer to do some of European Summer festivals. Beside Italy, probably the cities which were in game for Fall tour are now also in the line for the next Summer (Spain, Slovenia, Italy, Serbia, Hungary, Croatia, Bulgaria...)

But of course, it's so far away now (and new album sessions & release in between?) and LC has to do Fall 08 in Europe first, and then probably US & Canada in the Spring...

But I think that with this success Leonard should be on ease now, not to pressure anything, but simply to come and play few open air gigs next Summer, and maybe even the next next Summer :) Now he knows he can make it.
maurice

Post by maurice »

It's too bad that he didn't come to Roskilde this year.
You know who I am...
scorp

Post by scorp »

maurice wrote:It's too bad that he didn't come to Roskilde this year.
that would be an excellent one to add to European festivals in the summer of 09, kicking of at the Isle of Wight (IoW) in June. I think LC & band go very well with large open air festivals, where both established fans and a whole new generation of new fans/potential fans can appreciate him/the band to the full by letting go of themselves and singing and cheering throughout, at dusk or soon thereafter... not 4 in the morning as i believe the IoW 1970 was, tho, please :-)
scorp

Post by scorp »

So, we're now in December and LC & Co are off to NZ and Ozzyland in Jan and Feb, then on to North America via Hawaii (and Tokyo?). Then a new album might come out later in the year. Does all that leave space for a tour of at least few large/huge venues in the UK/Europe in the summer? Maybe not if the album is to be done, but, hey, who knows :0). jarkko?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I believe the new studio album has to be on hold as long as the tour continues. There is simply no time for another very demanding project.
With so many concerts already done in UK in 2008 (18 of them), I wouldn't expect any more! There are other countries in Europe
waiting for their turn (IF the tour happened to continue in Europe next fall - there are no decisions, and first legs 3 and 4 have
to be completed according to all plans). So let's just cherish the memories of this amazing year and wait... patiently :)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
scorp

Post by scorp »

Ok....here in the UK we can cherish the number 1 Christmas song being Hallelujah [cherish ? -hmmmm, depends on how it's eventually squirted out by X Factor, but just the fact that an LC song will be No. 1 is itself highly cherishable]. And maybe there will be tickets to buy for Europe next Autum :-) Hooray if that comes off. And why not. LC is on a big big roll. Sellouts in the more remote parts of Oz is extraordinary considering the cost to the punter and the hassle of getting to them...and that LC must be quite new or new to some of these people who live between the fringes of the outback and the cities.

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”