2008 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
kokenpere

2008 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

Post by kokenpere »

Leonard Cohen is a nominee to possibly be inducted into the 2008 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. According to billboard.com other nominees are Madonna, the Beastie Boys, John Mellencamp, Chic, the Ventures, Donna Summer, the Dave Clark Five, and Afrika Bambaataa. Five artists of the nine on the ballot will be inducted March 10, 2008
Anne

Re: 2008 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

Post by Anne »

We know there is at least one poster who is going to be over the moon about this.
I am just thankful we don't have to have the discussion about why he should have been considered instead of__ like in past years. I hope he gets in for the same reason.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Well, if Leonard rushes out a rock 'n roll album, he should stand an extra chance in 2008!

All good wishes, John E
dick

Post by dick »

This is a long overdue honor! One article said there are 500 voters. Anybody know how we influence them to assure the right decision? :)
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Hey, you beat me to it! I haven't even heard or read about this yet anywhere! Did you read it online or at your local bookstore?

I actually mailed three letters in the same envelope to the President of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame back in February explaining to him why the 3 artists I've chosen belong in the Rock Hall!

I wrote letters for Leonard Cohen, Bernie Taupin and Chicago!

http://www.rockhall.com

http://www.songwritershalloffame.org

I'm heading over to GOOGLE now to look for this news.....
Dick wrote:This is a long overdue honor! One article said there are 500 voters. Anybody know how we influence them to assure the right decision? :)
This shouldn't be a problem. Most of the voters are writers for Rollingstone Magazine. Rollingstone loves Leonard. But I will have to find out which record company has the most voters participating this year. SONY used to be number one. That's a good sign for Leonard.

This is from 2003

Rock Hall of Fame Fallout: 'There Is Resentment Building Up'

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,1966,00.html

Our story on Monday about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation has resonated in the music industry. FOXNews.com reported that foundation director Suzan Evans is paid $300,000 a year, has a huge expense account and that the foundation itself seems only to exist to throw a huge private party every year at the Waldorf. They do virtually nothing to help musicians in need. Why they have non-profit charitable status with the IRS seems to be an unresolved question.

The response to the story was overwhelming. A former board member, speaking only with the promise of anonymity, told me: "It's a club, and she's their groupie. It's all about power and hanging around with rock stars. Record companies have been getting a bill every year from the foundation of $8,000 or $10,000 apiece. They're starting to question what it's for â�" just for giving the dinner. Record companies are having massive layoffs this year. The money could go elsewhere. These were handshake deals made long ago, and now there is resentment building up."

This year's Waldorf dinner didn't win many allies over to the Rock Hall's side, anyway. One observer noted that two former power players in the business who used to be favored by Evans â�" Bob Krasnow and Michael Leone â�" "were seated as far and out of the way as could be possible. It's all about who's in power now. And that's the Sony guys. They were front and center."

Evans was cited for taking unnecessary trips on the foundation's dime, particularly to places like the Midem conference in Cannes. "Think of the cost of first-class accommodations. The Carlton hotel, first-class air tickets. And to do what? There's nothing in Cannes that has to do with the Hall of Fame."

We received this letter from a former board member. Here it is:

"Thank you for your insightful article on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I am a veteran music journalist who spent two years on the Hall's nominating committee and saw from the inside some of the politics at work.

"I saw how artists were sometimes chosen for nomination because of their affiliations with the directors of the Hall and others were shot down without so much as a moment of consideration simply because some people in that room didn't like them personally or because an artist had bad blood with someone calling the shots.

"At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist.

"During my second year on the committee, I received a petition signed by 5000 fans of the Moody Blues requesting that the group be considered for nomination. Personally I am not much of a fan, and neither, apparently, was anyone else on the committee (at least no one who would admit it). Still, I felt they were a legitimate contender for the nomination and that it was my duty to present the petition since so many people had taken a lot of time to put it together. I plunked it down on the conference table to a great roar of laughter from the assembled bigshots.

"Jon Landau, Springsteen's manager, asked me if I personally was a fan of theirs. 'Not really,' I said. 'End of discussion,' he said.

"On the other hand, I saw how Atlantic Records artists were routinely placed into nomination with no discussion at all, due to the large concentration of Atlantic executives on the committee. I saw how so-called critical favorites were placed into nomination while artists that were massively popular in their time were brushed off. I saw how certain pioneering artists of the 50s and early 60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in 70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today â�" but Queen is.

"I was finally kicked off the committee after writing a guest editorial for Billboard in which I criticized the Hall for its insider ways.

"Almost ten years later nothing has changed."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,100560,00.html

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation is finally opening its big-money vault for musicians. And not to just nominees or inductees to its Hall of Fame, but to all the musicians who have made pop, country, and soul records under the aegis of rock and roll.

This news came to me on Thursday at lunch with Suzan Evans, the director and founder of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Readers of this column know that I have been extremely critical of the foundation's practices, especially the fact that the organization "with $10 million in the bank" doles out very little every year to needy musicians.

Evans, who brought me to lunch with Wenner Media's affable PR director Stu Zakim, wanted to correct what she felt were some misconceptions about the foundation. I was happy to hear them.

Immediately then to the issue of taking care of veteran rock musicians.
"Believe it or not," she said, "we get very few calls about this and almost no applications. Up until this past year we said we would cover inductees and nominees to the Hall of Fame. But this summer we decided to widen this to all musicians in the rock world."

Now, this doesn't mean your cousin Tony whose big-hair band in 1983 had a regional hit single will be eligible. What it does mean is that every legitimate Top 40 artist â�" vocalists, instrumentalists, sidemen, studio musicians â�" going back 40 or so years may now apply to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation for assistance with medical bills, living expenses and health-care issues within reason. They do not have to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

This is important. If you can spread the word yourself, go right ahead. This is one time I authorize news organizations â�" particularly in England and Australia â�" to pick this story up and give it a push.

This includes even acts like Lobo ("Me and You and a Dog Named Boo") or Terry Jacks ('Seasons in the Sun"). I give you these examples not because they need help, but because they are obscure. Anyone, for example, who's ever sung or played a note on a Rhino compilation is eligible.

Last year the foundation gave just $14,000 in assistance to musicians. Evans says she's earmarked at least $100,000 for this purpose. If she sticks to her word, there should be no reason that anyone in the music world would ever have to be evicted or repossessed again.

The foundation's phone number, by the way, is 212-484-1755. Pass it on to the appropriate parties. Don't abuse it.

So what did I think of Evans, whose six-figure salary and whose seeming lack of interest in "legacy" rock artists I've criticized in this space?

Well, it's not like I've had a 180-degree turnaround. There are still several things about the Hall of Fame Foundation that I have questions about. But I found that Evans was willing address many issues openly. (She would not discuss her salary, however. "The papers," she said, "speak for themselves.")

Besides the issue of aid, the other pressing subject we addressed was the voting and induction process, and the fact that the category of "Early Influences" has been dormant for a couple of years now.

I pointed out to Evans that many R&B, jazz and blues musicians who'd been overlooked were now too old for some of the voters to appreciate. In fact, some of them may be too old to climb up on the stage at the Waldorf to accept an award.

There are also some major glaring omissions: Motown's Mary Wells ("My Guy") is one of them. Patti LaBelle is another.

Evans assured me that the issue of Early Influences being reactivated would be looked at, maybe as soon as this year. She also said the foundation would consider Lifetime Achievement Awards as a way of grandfathering in some older acts.

It wasn't the perfect answer everyone hopes for, but at least it was something. I was impressed by her willingness to discuss this stuff at all.

As for the voting: Evans insists that 75 people â�" record execs, musicians, critics and the like â�" go over a huge initial list every year. She even offered me a ballot. (You can write to me at the bottom of this column with your suggestions.)

She says that if acts aren't getting in, it's because this group and the one that follows it is excluding them. What can I tell you? If John Mellencamp makes it on the first ballot this year, and the Dells and Lynyrd Skynyrd are left off, we can certainly revisit this.

For the time being, though, the biggest problem surrounding the foundation, the lack of support for musicians, is on the front burner. Spread the word.

I have a feeling that Leonard Cohen is going to get inducted into both the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2008.

I did a little research and I found out that there have only been 4 musicians who have been inducted in the same year into both the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame:

1986 - Chuck Berry
1997 - Joni Mitchell
1999 - Bruce Springsteen
2000 - James Taylor

The 2008 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees:

Chic
Madonna
The Ventures
Leonard Cohen
Donna Summer
John Mellencamp
The Beastie Boys
Afrika Bambaataa
The Dave Clark Five

Direct link to the article, you got to see this!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003648320

Madonna, Beasties, Mellencamp Up For Rock Hall
Madonna

September 27, 2007, 6:45 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Madonna, the Beastie Boys, John Mellencamp and Leonard Cohen lead a wildly disparate class of nominees for 2008 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They join Afrika Bambaataa, Chic, the Ventures, Donna Summer and the Dave Clark Five on the ballot. Five acts will be inducted March 10, 2008, at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

For eligibility, artists had to release their first single no later than 1982. Last year's inductees were R.E.M., Van Halen, Patti Smith, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five and the Ronettes.

Current References to Leonard Cohen at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame:

John Simon, Steve Douglas, Jackson Browne, Lesson 45 - Democracy...Not Yet!

http://www.rockhall.com/search/results/ ... 971a2547a/
kokenpere wrote:Leonard Cohen is a nominee to possibly be inducted into the 2008 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. According to billboard.com other nominees are Madonna, the Beastie Boys, John Mellencamp, Chic, the Ventures, Donna Summer, the Dave Clark Five, and Afrika Bambaataa. Five artists of the nine on the ballot will be inducted March 10, 2008

DAMN IT, IT'S Chic, not Chicago! :x :evil: :twisted:
Last edited by Yankovic on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 14 times in total.
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

ARTISTS INDUCTED INTO THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME AND THE SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME IN THE SAME YEAR:

01. 1986 - Chuck Berry
02. 1997 - Joni Mitchell
03. 1999 - Bruce Springsteen
04. 2000 - James Taylor
05. 2010 - Jesse Stone

CANADIANS IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

01. 1994 - Rick Danko, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel, Robbie Robertson (The Band)
02. 1995 - Neil Young
03. 1997 - Neil Young, Bruce Palmer, Dewey Martin (Buffalo Springfield)
04. 1997 - Joni Mitchell
05. 1997 - Gene Cornish (The (Young) Rascals)
06. 1998 - Denny Doherty (The Mamas and the Papas)
07. 2008 - Leonard Cohen

CANADIANS IN THE SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME

01. 1993 - Paul Anka
02. 1997 - Joni Mitchell
03. 2010 - David Foster
04. 2010 - Leonard Cohen
Last edited by Yankovic on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Last edited by Yankovic on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Last edited by Yankovic on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Last edited by Yankovic on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Last edited by Yankovic on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Last edited by Yankovic on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Last edited by Yankovic on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Last edited by Yankovic on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Mr. Sunshine »

Hi - I would suggest that the same elitism that works against Chicago may work in Leonard Cohen's favour in the voting. Music industry insiders are much more aware of his work than the general public. The recent resurgent interest in all things Cohen makes the timing of his nomination favourable as well.

Cheers,

Rudolf
Christine

Post by Christine »

You gotta love it. Last year Futurerockhall.com accurately predicted 5 of the 9 nominees and 4 of the inductees. This year they accurately predicted 6 of the nominees and here's their current prediction for 08 inductees....

Afrika Bambaataa Current Induction Chances: 27%
Beastie Boys Chances: 82%
Chic 55%

Leonard Cohen "With the 1966 release of In My Life by Judy Collins, containing Leonard Cohen’s “Suzanne” and “Dress Rehearsal Rag,” Cohen became a folk rock icon of the singer songwriter movement. Already an acclaimed poet and novelist in his native Canada, Cohen moved to New York in 1967 and released his classic album Songs of Leonard Cohen on Columbia Records. Its music launched Leonard Cohen into the highest and most influential echelon of songwriters. Cohen’s elegiac work is widely used in film and covered by artists from Jeff Buckley to Bono to Bob Dylan to R.E.M. As Kurt Cobain said, 'Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld so I can sigh eternally.'"
Current Induction Chances: 64%

The Dave Clark Five: 41%
Madonna: 83%
John Mellencamp: 64%
Donna Summer: 73%
The Ventures: 38%

Future Rock Hall forecasts which of today's artists will be the next generation's Rock & Roll Hall of Famers by using a combination of historically predictive criteria, user votes, and nomination patterns.

Return to “News”