Leonard is bigger than money

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

It is very hard to deny people like John Lennon their money. It appears to me that they give up allot for their fame. The big one being their privacy. I do believe that the Stars have something to say about their exposure. Christopher Walkin is a very talented actor, but he maintains his privacy.
Lennon's music will live forever; he deserved to benefit from the wealth of his work. Van Gogh never had a chance to spend 30 million dollars. Leonard Cohen deserves to retain the money he made with his work. It is a shame that artist’s works become more valuable to the people who possess them after they are dead. Too bad the artist, for the most part, lives with little money while they are alive.
I would think that, given a person is not living at or below poverty, being happy is harder than having money. At the end of the day, after you leave the spa in your Mercedes, go home to your supper prepared by your chef, wrap presents in your gift wrapping room and go to bed in your Pierre Cardin Egyptian cotton sheets, if you hate yourself, your lover et al you have nothing.
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Tri-me,

As usual, you are right. OF course we can't be happy unless we're happy with ourselves. No amount of money can make us 'happy'. Maybe those that pursue money to the extreme (like a Donald Trump) do so, as they need to fill an inner void. In our materialistic world, what better to fill a void with but a whole bunch of money?

Like David Lee Roth said, "No, money won't buy you happiness, but it will buy you a nice, big yacht so you can pull up and anchor right beside it".

Linda.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Boss ~
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." - Tom Robbins
I thought you might appreciate this. It was in today's E-Verse Radio.

~ Lizzy
Kush

Post by Kush »

Holding fast Linda....you scared of George or Boss?

Sure money can't buy happiness but if you are basically a happy guy money can offer a lot of options in life. And if you are basically unhappy money can make life more bearable.

Bossman....I wish you luck in your efforts to save the peasants of Bangladesh. And you will have my everlasting respect if you do so....coz' I can't leave what I have here and do the same.
Make sure they want to be saved by you though or maybe you will find that they may end up saving you from yourself. And take care to learn the language, history and culture while you are at it. Or better still, start a business (with the best intentions) for agricultural machinery or housing or something, become a CEO and invest into the local Bangladeshi economy and provide at highly subsidized rates (or even provide for free as long as you can afford it). This will be appreciated far more than any talk of Lennon and Love.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Aaaah soooo... Thanks Kush, I feel much better now.

Linda.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Wasn't it quoted here already what someone has said, "Be the change you want to see in the world"? Intention is prerequisite. Intention shapes reality.
bee

Post by bee »

Kush, there would still be bosses in the world. Competition is a part of human nature; just as long as you follow the rules and that your primary concern is for your fellow human being.
Lizz- are you quite sure, what the intention really is and what would come if the intention becomes reality?
And why it is, that the quote above sounds too much too familiar not only to me, but many others, upon whom the DISCIPLINE was imposed to create a ""new socially prefect human being", or a new "'''superior human race"?
bee
bee

Post by bee »

Boss-
In a pack of dogs, in an ant colony and even in a group of our close relatives the gorillas, there are 'rules' - ways to act. All religions have them] It is discipline And why can't we live without money yet uphold a sense of civic service, civic duty? Why not?
Yes, and why not? It has been done before! Just build nice camps-serve the soup and some bread, if needed! Who would need the money there? Absolutely not, unnecessary, -bosses would even decide what is good for you and what is good for the society.
bee
Kush

Post by Kush »

Once upon a time in a land far far away the bosses loved peasants and peasant life so much they decided to kill everyone who had education or wore glasses (coz that meant they were well-read). And herded everyone else into camps to work in the fields. They called it Year Zero. The start of the "new man" to form "the perfect society". And these guys were Buddhists too or atleast grew up Buddhist...you know all the peaceful Zen stuff!!
Last edited by Kush on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Bee ~

The concept/principle [although maybe not the quote itself] I have in mind is the spiritual one having to do with intention.

~ Lizzy
Boss

Post by Boss »

You here; fucken snivelling like rats at the meat. Insidious, fervent, pathetic. Can't stand to believe in something new, something free. Shame. You live in your boxes accusing me of not being poverty-stricken enough, of not knowing, of hiding my name, of being insane. You don't know me...

And you cough up absurdities daily. Your vitriol as see through as air. And I wonder why so much hatred, so much angst. I reflect on the psychoanalytic masters, what they had to say. Is it borne out of childhood? Were you so mistreaed? So abused? Now you are adults is it time for pay back? There is a Swiss doctor named Alice Miller. Read her work. You may gain insight into your self-hatred, your love of insult, your torn, hurt being. And as Leonard Cohen so eloquently put it in 'Anthem' Love will come to all but "like a refugee". See that you're on the boat.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Boss ~

I don't know of Alice Miller, so don't know her work ~ however, it sounds as though she must have a lot worthwhile to say. Your quote of Leonard's is well chosen and appropos for the position you're, unfortunately, having to defend. Just because something's 'been tried before' doesn't eliminate it from the spectrum of possibility. That's a great way to ensure staying on the same treadmill of pessimism. I wonder what peers of Mother Theresa said if/when she shared her dream of how to spend her life. It's pitiful when people get ridiculed for expressing their idealism. It seems, however, that you may have misread the comment regarding hiding behind a screen name. I did not take that as being negatively directed at you.

I admire your strength and beliefs.

~ Lizzy
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

You here; fucken snivelling like rats at the meat. Insidious, fervent, pathetic. Can't stand to believe in something new, something free. Shame. You live in your boxes accusing me of not being poverty-stricken enough, of not knowing, of hiding my name, of being insane. You don't know me...
And you don't know 'us'. It seems to me, Boss, that the one who is fucken snivelling like a rat at the meat, is you. You are the one who is stirring the pot - trying to goad people into reacting - and you have, of course, we're just people. Ordinary people with the usual shortcomings, hopes, worries and dreams. How can you claim that you know anything more than anyone else? Where did you acquire your divine insight? Your ramblings, are nothing short of 'pathetic'. This bullshit is what you consider enlightening or entertaining? Man, that's pretty sad.

Peace be with you.

Linda.
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie »

I'm leaving quite unexpectedly for Maine again tomorrow, but while I'm traveling I intend to listen to "Live Songs", and maybe all of us should do the same, paying particular attention to "Please Don't Pass Me By"... especially when Leonard says (begs?) "don't be the person that you came with."

Lpve, and Red Needles all 'round..
Bobbie

Hear hear!
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Haha. I see Lizzy posted first. A perfect example of 'whatever floats your boat'. That's because we're just people. Different people. Individuals with differing opinions.

Linda.

Return to “News”