Montreal: comments and feelings

The Tower of Song Tribute Concert, the MAC Exhibition, Leonard Cohen Murals, Leonard's Grave, City Tour for our Members
anneporter

Re: Montreal: comments and feelings

Post by anneporter »

[quote=B4real post_id=367707 time=1510442
I hope you are continuing with your visual art - maybe the last one in the slide show could be yours ;-)

Thank you for your kind comments, Bev!

And yes, the 2 monotypes at the end are mine, as well as the sketch of Cohen with wings tucked under his arm- that is the germ of an image I am working on now.

All the best,
Anne
Last edited by anneporter on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B4real

Post by B4real »

anneporter wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:23 am [quote=B4real post_id=367707 time=1510442
I hope you are continuing with your visual art - maybe the last one in the slide show could be yours ;-)

Thank you for your kind comments, Be!

And yes, the 2 monotypes at the end are mine, as well as the sketch of Cohen with wings tucked under his arm- that is the germ of an image I am working on now.
hehe! I nearly said "the last two" because I recognised the style and printmaking method application that I know you were into some time ago :) Maybe you could show us when you've finished the "wings" artwork.
Good on you Anne! So nice to catch up with you again :D
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

We had a wonderful time in Montreal! Thank you Jarkko, Eva, and everyone who had a hand in making our experience even more memorable!

If you have time and are interested, its4inthemorning and I have posted more about our experiences on the thread "Along the way..." viewtopic.php?p=367721#p367713

Thank you again!
Vickie
JaneBK

Post by JaneBK »

I’m finishing up my ten days’ visit to Montreal.
I’d initially made plans to come for the MAC exhibit, way back at the beginning of 2106 when it was announced. I joined the museum so that I could be a part of the members’ preview evening. And, I admit, hoped that Leonard would be at the opening.

So I’ve been in Montreal since the 4th and have had LC songs in my head nonstop for 10 days.

Closure? Maybe so.

After the concert, I messaged Adam on Facebook, thanking him for the concert and also wishing him closure and blessings. Four days later, my Facebook messaging pinged late at night. It was a “ Thank you” from Adam.

I’m ready to go home now.
stfa

Post by stfa »

vlcoats wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:12 pm If you have time and are interested, its4inthemorning and I have posted more about our experiences on the thread "Along the way..." viewtopic.php?p=367721#p367713

Thank you again!
Vickie
Hi Vickie, I enjoyed your post about your trip. Thought you might want to know that your chapstick stayed there till at least November 7th. I walked up Mount Royal on the anniversary of Leonard's death and paid my respects. I have to admit I was surprised to see a chapstick but also kind of 'got it' - I meant to bring something interesting from home for me to leave but settled for an interesting rock I found along the way. Anyway your offering was still there as of then. I have a picture of the grave that shows it but have been unable to post it. Will try again when I can figure out how to downsize it. So glad I made the trip - I hope you visit Montreal again - it is my father's city and has so much to offer. I have been blessed to visit it many times and will, G-- willing, visit it many more!
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

stfa wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:37 am Thought you might want to know that your chapstick stayed there till at least November 7th.
Still there Nov 8! I did wonder ....

We left stones from Hydra when we visited in September. This time I left a little bit of Warwickshire, which I am gratified to see is still there on all the later photos I've seen to date.

Wendy
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

stfa post wrote:.... Thought you might want to know that your chapstick stayed there till at least November 7th. I walked up Mount Royal on the anniversary of Leonard's death and paid my respects. I have to admit I was surprised to see a chapstick but also kind of 'got it' ... I have a picture of the grave that shows it but have been unable to post it...
Thank you stfa for your update on my offering. I know it is silly, but yes, I would love to have a picture of it. My husband was taking the photos that day and although he got a "before" shot and one of me placing my offering, he didn't get an "after" shot. Would you mind if I sent you a private message with my email address that you could send the photo to? That way I could have a full size image
Mabeanie1 post wrote:...Still there Nov 8! I did wonder ....
Mabeanie1, thank you also for letting me know it was still there on Nov 8th. Perhaps someone was in need of it after that ;-)

Vickie
stfa

Post by stfa »

PM IS FINE. I WISH I HAD BEEN AS PREPARED AS MALBEANIE - I WILL BE NEXT TIME! :lol:
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

I was not able to be there but I was able to see the video briefly that was shown with the new version of Book Of Longing and the precious video clips.

Could someone PM me that video? I know that it's not supposed to be out there but I'm dying to see it again.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

icecreamtruck wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:39 am Could someone PM me that video? I know that it's not supposed to be out there but I'm dying to see it again.
I would love to see it again too.

W
anny

Post by anny »

Me too...pls
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Can I join in on that request? :lol:
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

Perhaps it was out of line for me to request that someone share that clip with me. I know that it was originally posted and then taken down by request of the family.

I was unable to attend Tower of Song. I wish I had been able to. I never met Leonard Cohen but I saw him in concert as often as I could during the last few years. I really have been grieving him as I would a member of my own family.

I can’t justify this personal grief rationally but perhaps you know where I’m coming from. The Cohen family and friends have legitimate grief and what they share is their call.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that this video, this little window that I saw poorly through my iPhone, into their lives felt like it would be a comfort to my little grief and I would so love to see it again. I completely defer to the wishes of the family which are for now, to keep that private.
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

icecreamtruck post wrote: I completely defer to the wishes of the family which are for now, to keep that private.
I just want to say that this is a very nice sentiment. If he was my dad or grandpa or even second cousin twice removed, I am pretty sure I would appreciate it.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

I just returned to this topic and noticed that I had missed Anneporter's video-wonderfully done to a great song! Thank you.

And I really enjoyed the accounts that Vickie and 4inthemorning linked to. They brought back many memories for Anne & I.

It was a wonderful week for us in a city that we have come to love. We hope to return to Montreal in the future. We are looking forward to getting a Blu-ray of the concert and re-living that also.

Anne & I had the privilege of attending the Hal Willner concert in Prospect Park in Brooklyn in 2003 and were tremendously impressed. This concert had many of the same qualities including the terrific band that Hal put together with Marc Ribot guitarist and the flamboyant drummer whose name escapes me. I would have preferred to have a few more obscure of his songs performed like they did in Brooklyn, but I can understand that in a show such as this, the greatest hits were necessary.

From the time we took the big step of committing to go to Hydra in 2002, through all of the other events and the wonderful concerts, we continue to be amazed at the wonderful people that we've met and continue to meet. Many feel more like family now than simply friends. This week re-enforced that feeling tremendously. I encourage anyone who is tempted to take the leap of faith and go to Budapest next year and/or go to Hydra in 2019. You won't regret it.

Thanks friends for a wonderful week!
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."

Return to “Montreal Memorial Week, November 2017”