Montreal: comments and feelings

The Tower of Song Tribute Concert, the MAC Exhibition, Leonard Cohen Murals, Leonard's Grave, City Tour for our Members
Myrtone

Re: Montreal: comments and feelings

Post by Myrtone »

I'm actually dissapointed by the setlist. For one, the song Hallelujah is quite worn out by now given all the covers. I was hoping this memorial concert would be something more special.
For example, Leonard mentioned some songs he thought he would not be able to finish, but those were not included. How about an additional verse to 'So long Marianne' about Marrianne's own passing and one to the 'Tower of Song' about Leonard himself? How about inculding songs that Leonard himself never performed in concert such as 'Master song' and 'A Bunch of Lonesome Heroes'?
stfa

Post by stfa »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:26 am Interesting info stfa. Thanks. I wonder why they didn't do Passing Through? If there is one thing the show lacked it was an ensemble finale. Having a solo singer do an off standard version of Closing Time was an odd way to finish. When she asked us to sing along we couldn't very easily because she sang it so differently to Leonard. On the other hand leaving the venue to a recording of Leonard singing Save the Last Dance For Me was just perfect.

I think Adam went out of his way to avoid simply copying the tour versions of the songs and that's why we didn't get the Webbs doing If it Be Your Will or Sharon singing Alexandra Leaving. Personally I'm glad we didn't. Those songs belong the the heady days of the Gand Tour and will always be great memories for us.

Wendy
Agreed Wendy - I was torn between the two extremes -I tend to live in the past sometimes and unfortunately those tours are done and belong to history and memory. Adam did a masterful job for his father and all of us. I do think the Webb sisters could have been featured solo (duo?) at least once and I agree about Closing Time - that would have been a great rave up and a joyful finish to a wonderful concert - the way it was almost seemed an afterthought. I hope you enjoyed Montreal.
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
AlexandraLisping

Post by AlexandraLisping »

I kept a set list in Evernote during the concert. Here's what I took down.

Sting "Dance Me to the End of Love"
Feist "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye"
Patrick Watson "Who By Fire"
Sharon Robinson "I'm Your Man"
Wesley Schultz & Jeremiah Fraites (The Lumineers) "Democracy"
Ron Sexsmith "Suzanne"
Elvis Costello "The Future"
Damien Rice "Famous Blue Raincoat"
Adam Cohen & Webb Sisters "So Long Marianne"
k d lang "Hallelujah"

Intermission

Video appearances by Willie Nelson, Celine Dion, Peter Gabriel, and Chris Martin "Tower of Song"
Sting "Sisters of Mercy"
Lana Del Rey and Adam Cohen "Chelsea Hotel"
Bettye Lavette "In My Secret Life"
Courtney Love "Everybody Knows"
Seth Rogen reading "Field Commander Cohen"
Borns and the Webb Sisters "If It Be Your Will"
Adam Cohen, Damien Rice, and Coeur de Pirate "The Stranger"
Elvis Costello "Bird On a Wire"
Sting "Anthem"
Video appearance of Leonard Cohen, supported by Shaar Hashomayim Choir "You Want it Darker"
Adam Cohen "Coming Back to You"
Basia Bulat "Closing Time"
Seattle 2009, Portland 2012
Kenadian

Re: WHAT'S GOING ON IN MONTREAL

Post by Kenadian »

rae wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 pm The mural on Crescent Street has just been finished. It looks great at street level. I love how when I walk by at night, even though it is not directly lit up, the street lights give it a subtle glow.
I was initially confused by the choice of the location but then I went up Mont Royal to the chalet and BAM! there it was, a new and wonderful landmark!
Cheers,
Ken(adian)
2008: Kitchener|Hamilton x2|Toronto x3|Montreal x2|2009: New York|Detroit|New York x2|Hamilton|Kingston|Ottawa x2 |Colmar|Vienne|Nimes|Philadelphia|New York MSG)|Cleveland|Nashville|2010: Sligo x2|Lisbon |Caen|Grenoble|Strasbourg|Marseille|Tours|Lille|Victoria|Vancouver|Oakland x2|Vegas x2|and more.
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

AlexandraLisping wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:22 am I kept a set list in Evernote during the concert. Here's what I took down.

Ron Sexsmith "Suzanne"
k d lang "Hallelujah"

Intermission

Video appearances by Willie Nelson, Celine Dion, Peter Gabriel, and Chris Martin "Tower of Song"
Sting "Sisters of Mercy"
Adam Cohen, Damien Rice, and Coeur de Pirate "The Stranger"
Sting "Anthem"
Video appearance of Leonard Cohen, supported by Shaar Hashomayim Choir "You Want it Darker"
Thanks for this list.

Minor correction: Adam Cohen, Damien Rice and Coeur de Pirate played "The Partisan"
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

I'm sure L C would have liked the woman's red lips on a ad above the MAC building .
A great night view.
The MAC show is a must. It was one of the best events for me.
Thanks to all for sharing these events with me.
Thank you all who made this all possible !

:D
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

A memorable memorial.

Thanks so much for all those that had a hand in making the many arrangements and implementing the plans, especially Eva and Chris for Sunday's bus tour, surprises, and dinner, and of course Jarkko and Marie. It could not have been better.

Curt
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

Does anyone know or has it been posted what happened to Mr Glass ?
:?:
mutti

Post by mutti »

I feel so happy that I made the decision to go to Montreal. I can not describe fully how I feel except to say it was a most beautiful experience. I didn't go on the bus tour as I had seen most of the places when I went to the 2 concerts in Montreal but I regret it now as I would have loved to have been part of the experience at the synagogue as so many have told me it was a highlight.
The tribute concert was different than I thought as in my mind I wanted more of the past but in reality that was a tour that is over now and will always live on in my heart. This concert was so much different. My favourite performances were KD Lang, Damien Rice, Elvis Costello and Adam himself. There was an energy from beyond as Leonard's presence was so strong and through spoken words and images and him singing was all brought together beautifully. I think Adam did a great job in this monumental tribute to Leonard. I missed the ones who were not there performing but this was a new thing and I am grateful it happened on so many levels. It felt exciting not knowing what was next. I don't usually like any cover songs but somehow after hearing this concert I was transformed in my memories of Leonard singing them and then the person actually singing in front of me.
Going to the museum the next day was a great followup. I spent 5 hours there and walked through a few of the rooms that didn't attract me but spent hours in others. I could see going back a few more times if I lived there. I was in tears at some point. Sharon Robinson has written a new song about Leonard and that got me in the gut, it was so beautiful.
Seeing old friends and meeting new ones was wonderful and brought tears to my eyes at times not knowing if I will ever see some of them again. I do wish all the members of the band and crew were there and we could have all met but I knew that wouldn't happen. I didn't get to spend time with a few people who I wanted as so much was going on. I really felt Montreal this time through Leonard's eyes. Sitting outside his house at Parc du Portugal at night on the 7th was a total different experience than during the day. The soft light and people gathering even though the singing wasn't the greatest it was so darn beautiful and touching. I am so glad there will be a video made of this event and that it will be televised on CBC in January so I can relive it again and all the friends who were not able to attend will be able to see it. Our memories of this incredible man will live on in our hearts and never leave for me. Thank you Adam for this memorial and THANK YOU Leonard for bringing the world your music and song. You will never be forgotten.
Leslie 8) 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Hello, friends,
This week was magical: one could write a book or two about it!
Thanks to our gracious hosts, Chris and Eva, and to Sylvie Simmons, Li’l Andy and Gideon Zelermayer for their generous gifts of time and talent, and to Jarkko, as always, our tireless benefactor. Thanks

I have made I a little commemorative slideshow, featuring a wonderful song by Li’l Andy: “On My Way to Heaven Anyhow.” It includes this verse:
“The only holy man standing sang “Be assured: There is a blaze of light in every word. There is a blaze of light in every word. I’m on my way to heaven anyhow.”
https://youtu.be/892qNFvw4g8
Last edited by anneporter on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Habswin

Post by Habswin »

Hi everyone. As a native Montrealer I was lucky enough to see the memorial concert in my hometown. I was also able to purchase a VIP package with my tickets and have some "swag" that I am willing to auction off, including a limited edition LC-drawn lithograph (No. 111 of 300 that were produced) with authentication certificate, as well as the program and a LC tote bag! If anyone is interested, I will send you a picture of the lithograph if you email me at lorne@emgmedia.net. I'm keeping the commemorative poster for myself! :-)

It was an amazing show. My city did Leonard proud.
Eva

Post by Eva »

anneporter wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:34 pm Hello, friends,
This week was magical: one could write a book or two about it!
Thanks to our gracious hosts, Chris and Eva, and to Sylvie Simmons, Li’l Andy and Gideon Zelermayer for their generous gifts of time and talent, and to Jarkko, as always, our tireless benefactor. Thanks

I have made I a little commemorative slideshow, featuring a wonderful song by Li’l Andy: “On My Way to Heaven Anyway.” It includes this verse:
“The only holy man standing sang “Be assured: There is a blaze of light in every word. There is a blaze of light in every word. I’m on my way to heaven anyway.”
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
Eva

Post by Eva »

Anne, this is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for posting it. The tribute goes on...
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
OldIdeasAreTheBest

Post by OldIdeasAreTheBest »

My OCD prompts me to post the corrected set list all in one place:

Ron Sexsmith "Suzanne"
k d lang "Hallelujah"

Intermission

Sting "Sisters of Mercy"
Adam Cohen, Damien Rice, and Coeur de Pirate "The Partisan"
Sting "Anthem"
Voice of Leonard Cohen, supported by Shaar Hashomayim Choir (live) "You Want it Darker"
San Diego, Coachella, San Jose 2009
Oakland 12/6/2010, Las Vegas 12/11/2010
Madrid and Los Angeles 2012
Oakland 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

anneporter wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:34 pm I have made I a little commemorative slideshow, featuring a wonderful song by Li’l Andy: “On My Way to Heaven Anyhow.” It includes this verse:
“The only holy man standing sang “Be assured: There is a blaze of light in every word. There is a blaze of light in every word. I’m on my way to heaven anyhow.”
Thank you Anne,
that was definitely a moving experience! You have thoughtfully and artistically put it all together with much feeling!
I hope you are continuing with your visual art - maybe the last one in the slide show could be yours ;-)

And thanks to everyone else for your words about your special time in Montreal 8)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Montreal Memorial Week, November 2017”