MONTREAL: More information for the members

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Gitte

Re: MONTREAL: More information for the members

Post by Gitte »

I just felt over this: Leonard got the Felix Award 30/11 :

http://www.iheartradio.ca/chom/trending ... -1.3394877
2008: Nice/ 2010: Marseille / 2012 Copenhagen, Paris x 2. / 2013: Paris, Lucca, Odense, Stockholm, Rotterdam, Amsterdam.
JaneBK

Post by JaneBK »

The “ members only” preview of the MAC exhibition is Weds. Nov. 8 at 6:00 pm. I called today since I had not received an email notice yet.
I saw that Sharon Robinson is going to be a performer at the exhibit. I’m wondering if she will also be at the preview.
Eva

Post by Eva »

This is the email MAC sent today to members. So vernissage is on Wed. at 7 pm. Free visit in afternoon. Members CAN bring one guest!

INVITATION SPÉCIALE

Le président du Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal, Alexandre Taillefer, ainsi que le directeur général et conservateur en chef, John Zeppetelli, ont le plaisir de vous inviter à l'ouverture de l'exposition

Leonard Cohen : Une brèche en toute chose/A Crack in Everything

VERNISSAGE
LE MERCREDI 8 NOVEMBRE À 17 H

Sur présentation de votre carte de membre.
Chaque membre peut venir accompagné d’un invité.

AVANT-PREMIÈRE EXCLUSIVE AUX MEMBRES

Le mercredi 8 novembre, jour du vernissage,
le MAC ouvre ses portes dès midi pour les membres seulement !

Visite libre pour les membres
de 12 h à 17h

Tables rondes avec les artistes*
14 h (en français)
15 h 30 (en anglais)

*Pour assister aux tables rondes, procurez-vous votre
billet gratuit à la billetterie du Musée avant l’événement.
Quantité limitée, 4 billets par personne maximum.
Plus d’information ici
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
anothermarianne

Post by anothermarianne »

Re the exhibition: Did I get it right that only members of the MAC have admission to preview or vernissage? Not members of the Forum if we I if I have not bought a vip-package? I will join the bus tour and the dinner at Moishes on Sunday and I have a ticket for the consert on Monday (no package). I plan to visit the exhibition on Friday next week when open to the public. Going home to Sweden on Saturday 11th of November. Any other Cohen events during the week open to members of this Forum?
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

anothermarianne wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am Re the exhibition: Did I get it right that only members of the MAC have admission to preview or vernissage? Not members of the Forum if we I if I have not bought a vip-package? I will join the bus tour and the dinner at Moishes on Sunday and I have a ticket for the consert on Monday (no package). I plan to visit the exhibition on Friday next week when open to the public. Going home to Sweden on Saturday 11th of November. Any other Cohen events during the week open to members of this Forum?
Only members of the MAC are invited to the November 8th preview. Membership is $45 CAD. http://macm.org/en/general-information/macarte/
Only folks who purchased a VIP or Welcome package with their concert ticket can attend the preview on November 6 and November 7.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Some of you may remember that there was talk of an app that would provide a walking tour of Leonard's Montreal. Here is some info from an article from CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4382086
To coincide with the exhibition opening, CBC has created a free walking tour of Cohen's Montreal which will be available to download on the Detour app, starting Nov. 9.

Narrated by Montreal singer-songwriter Martha Wainwright, the audio tour takes listeners from the 1950s cafés where Cohen wrote his earliest poems to Parc du Portugal, just steps from the famous duplex that was his Montreal home for decades.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4382086

Leonard Cohen's son promises 'perfect cast' of artists at upcoming concert
'Tower of Song' memorial tribute to be broadcast on CBC Radio 2 on Nov. 7, anniversary of Cohen's death
By Elysha Enos, CBC News Posted: Nov 02, 2017

Fans of beloved poet and singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen are converging on Montreal from all over the world as Nov. 6 approaches — the date for a star-studded celebration of Cohen's music, Tower of Song: A Memorial Tribute to Leonard Cohen.

The homage concert, at Montreal's Bell Centre, will be broadcast across Canada on CBC Radio 2 the night following the concert, on the anniversary of Cohen's death, Nov. 7, beginning at 8 p.m.

The list of artists is still not complete.

"The complicated thing has been trying to limit the [number] of artists on stage. Because we don't have until Christmas, it's just one night," said Cohen's son, Adam.

Honing down dream list of artists

Adam Cohen said he and his team came up with about 20 songs they knew had to be performed, and then they contacted their dream list of artists.

"We ended up calling hundreds of people to get to the perfect cast," Adam said.

"We had all these coloured postcards on a wall, and we kept moving them. It was very exciting, actually."

That list of artists includes BØRNS, Cœur de pirate, Elvis Costello, Lana Del Rey, Feist, Philip Glass, k.d. lang, Sting — and many more.

Aside from the radio broadcast and coverage on CBC.ca, CBC Television is also scheduled to air the show on Jan. 3, 2018.

Coming home

It was Leonard Cohen's wish that any public commemoration be carried out in his hometown, and a tribute concert seems a perfect fit.

Cohen had long said he enjoyed hearing other artists interpret his work.

He told CBC in 2008 that he found his own voice "very limited," and it left him feeling that the music was somehow unfulfilled.

"To fulfil it and manifest it so beautifully and so skillfully means a lot to me," Cohen said.

Around that time a Montreal International Jazz Festival tribute to him was in the works, and Cohen said the fact that a tribute concert was taking place in Montreal, a place he knew so well, was "a great privilege, a great honour."

Giving back to young Canadian artists

Proceeds from the Tower of Song concert are going to three arts-granting bodies: the Canada Council for the Arts, the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, and the Conseil des arts du Montréal.

These arts councils helped sustain Cohen financially in his 20s when, despite his publishing success, he still couldn't make enough money to survive as an artist.

In 1959, he received a grant from the Canada Council which funded a trip to Europe that ended in Hydra, Greece.

It was in Hydra that he bought a house, wrote, and met his muse, Marianne Ihlen.

A week of Cohen events

Nov. 6 is also the day Montreal's Musée d'art contemporain (MAC) is opening its doors to CBC for an exclusive sneak peek of its long-planned exhibition Leonard Cohen: A Crack in Everything.

CBC Montreal will be offering a tour of the exhibition on its Facebook page and website Monday afternoon.

Cohen biographer Sylvie Simmons, the author of I'm Your Man, will also be at the MAC Monday for an interview the public is invited to attend. More information is available here.

That interview will air on CBC Radio One Nov. 12 at 3 p.m. ET during a special episode of Writers and Company with Eleanor Wachtel.

The MAC exhibition opens to the public Nov. 9.

To coincide with the exhibition opening, CBC has created a free walking tour of Cohen's Montreal which will be available to download on the Detour app, starting Nov. 9.

Narrated by Montreal singer-songwriter Martha Wainwright, the audio tour takes listeners from the 1950s cafés where Cohen wrote his earliest poems to Parc du Portugal, just steps from the famous duplex that was his Montreal home for decades.

Marie
Speaking Cohen
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

Does anyone know how to watch the CBC Facebook live exhibition tour of the show at MAC (A crack in everything) which they are showing on Monday.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/press-rel ... onard-cohe

CBC/RADIO-CANADA CELEBRATES THE LIFE AND LEGACY OF GLOBAL ICON LEONARD COHEN WITH SPECIAL TRIBUTE PROGRAMMING ON ALL PLATFORMS

Nov 02, 2017

Montreal, Nov. 2, 2017 – Canada’s public broadcaster is proud to unveil a slate of special programming in tribute to Leonard Cohen, the Montreal-born writer, composer, performer and man of letters, on the one year anniversary of his death. The announcement comes ahead of the opening of the exhibition Leonard Cohen: Une brèche en toute chose / A Crack in Everything, presented by CBC/Radio-Canada at the Musée d’art contemporain (MAC).

CBC/Radio-Canada will broadcast Monday’s star-studded tribute concert at the Bell Centre in Montreal,Tower of Song: A Memorial Tribute to Leonard Cohen, the next day, Tuesday, Nov. 7 at 8 p.m. (8:30 p.m. NT) on CBC Radio 2, CBCMusic.ca, ICI MUSIQUE and ICIMusique.ca. The commemorative event, with all proceeds going to the Canada Council for the Arts, the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec and the Conseil des arts de Montréal, will feature renowned artists including BØRNS, CŒUR DE PIRATE, ELVIS COSTELLO, LANA DEL REY, FEIST, PHILIP GLASS, K.D. LANG, BETTYE LAVETTE, COURTNEY LOVE, DAMIEN RICE, SETH ROGEN, RON SEXSMITH, STING, PATRICK WATSON, WESLEY SCHULTZ & JEREMIAH FRAITES OF THE LUMINEERS and ADAM COHEN. The concert will also be televised onWednesday,Jan. 3, 2018 at 8 p.m. (8:30 p.m. NT) on CBC and ICI RADIO-CANADA TÉLÉ.

The world of Leonard Cohen explored in a brand new documentary

CBC/Radio-Canada’s partnership with the MAC exhibition will include broadcast of a documentary exploring Leonard Cohen’s impact on an entire generation of artists. Directed by Kaveh Nabatian and entitledA Crack in Everything / Une brèche en toute chose, the film features the local and international artists who contributed to the exhibition along with their works inspired by the Bard of Montreal’s imagination and legacy. It will premiere on ICI ARTV Nov. 13 at 9 p.m., on ICI RADIO-CANADA TÉLÉ Dec. 12 at 9 p.m., and subsequently made available on demand for one year on ICI TOU.TV. Additionally, CBC Documentary Channel will air the documentary on Dec. 3 at 9 p.m. and CBC Montreal throughout Quebec on Dec. 27 at 7 p.m. . A series of companion video vignettes, also directed by Nabatian, will be available via CBC Arts and Radio-Canada’s digital platforms. The Corporation made all of its archive materials on Cohen available to the artists taking part in this major exhibition.

A mobile app to explore Cohen’s Montreal

Admirers of the iconic singer-songwriter, artist and poet can immerse themselves in his world with a downloadable application called Detour. Available via CBC.ca/cohen as of Nov. 9, two mobile tours will lead users through the Montreal neighbourhoods that inspired Leonard Cohen’s novels, poems and music. Narrated by singer-songwriter Martha Wainwright, Leonard Cohen’s Neighbourhood and the Leonard Cohen Extended City Tour on the Detour app will take strollers from the sites of the 1950s cafés where Cohen wrote his earliest poems to Parc du Portugal, just steps from his final home in the city.

Leonard Cohen in words and music on CBC/Radio-Canada’s multiple platforms

In addition to these initiatives, CBC/Radio-Canada’s many platforms will feature a variety of content devoted to the artist.

On Radio

CBC Radio has a special lineup of programs exploring Leonard Cohen’s monumental body of work. Leading up to the tribute concert in Montreal, host Raina Douris will take Radio 2 Morning listeners through The Essential Tracks of Leonard Cohen, beginning Nov. 3 at 8:30 a.m. (9 a.m. NT). Later that evening, Radio 2 Drive will air a one hour Deep Dive special at 6 p.m. (6:30 p.m. NT) exploring songs from Cohen’s 1967 debut Songs of Leonard Cohen.

CBC Radio One will present a special episode ofWriters and Company with Eleanor Wachtel, which includes an interview with Sylvie Simmons, the biographer behind I’m Your Man – La vie de Leonard Cohen at the Musée d’art contemporain in front of a live audience on Nov 6. At 1p.m. (Tickets available at the Museum. Free Admission) It will broadcast on Nov. 12 at 3 p.m. ET & AT, 3:30 p.m. NT, 5 p.m. PT, MT & CT.

On Radio-Canada, ICI MUSIQUE will present a web radio stream dedicated exclusively to Cohen, along with special programs highlighting the singer/songwriter’s impact and influence on an entire generation of musicians. All content will be atICIMusique.ca/leonardcohen. A special all-Cohen edition ofOn dira ce qu’on voudra will air on ICI RADIO-CANADA PREMIÈRE on Nov. 7 at 8:30 p.m. In his life as well as his work, Leonard Cohen was a great traveller. Host Rebecca Makonnen and her team of contributors will explore various Montreal neighbourhoods in the company of musicians Adam Cohen and Martha Wainwright, visual artist Armand Vaillancourt, and writer/researcher Chantal Ringuet. The digital on-demand radio service Première PLUS will be mining a treasure trove of interviews and archival materials at Radio-Canada.ca/premiereplus.

On Television

On television, the Nov. 6 broadcast of Les grands reportages on ICI RDI , at 8 p.m., will feature Mesdames et messieurs, M. Leonard Cohen (Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Leonard Cohen), a 1965 documentary that paints an unconventional black-and-white portrait of the 30-year-old Cohen, then known mainly as a poet, strolling the streets of his native Montreal. In its Artistes en vedette time slot on Monday, Nov. 13, ICI ARTV will pay tribute to the artist beginning at 9 p.m. with the documentary Leonard Cohen: A Crack in Everything, followed at 10 p.m. by Leonard Cohen en concert à Londres (Leonard Cohen: Live in London), and concluding at 11:30 p.m. with a repeat of Mesdames et messieurs, M. Leonard Cohen.

CBC Montreal, CBC Arts ' online feed and CBC Arts: Exhibitionists will feature a selection of new and archival stories that complement the concert, including exclusive commissioned material from Musée d’art contemporain exhibit Leonard Cohen: Une brèche en toute chose / A Crack in Everything.

Throughout November, CBC Montreal will have special digital and social content including a sneak peek inside the Leonard Cohen: Une brèche en toute chose / A Crack in Everything exhibit at the Musée d’art contemporain (MAC), artist interviews, Facebook live, live blog, Cohen quiz and a digital feature exploring the artist’s lasting impact on Montreal.

CBC Music will share 80 reasons to love Leonard Cohen, A Map of Cohen’s Montreal and other new and archived Cohen content across the CBC Music homepage and social channels.

With this rich array of content and initiatives unfolding on all of its platforms, CBC/Radio-Canada is exceedingly proud to present cross-Canada celebrations of the life and work of the late Leonard Cohen, a truly singular artist whose words and music continue to resonate all over the world.

Marie
Speaking Cohen
AlexandraLisping

Post by AlexandraLisping »

I have a question.

I purchased one of the Bronze packages, which includes advance admission to the LC exhibition at the MAC and some other benefits. But all I have are my tickets to the show itself. How do I redeem/collect the other benefits I paid for? Should I have received an email with information? Is there a link I can go to?

I'm traveling to Montreal from Portland, Oregon and don't want to miss anything if I can help it!

Thanks in advance for anything anyone can tell me.

Sadly, we are still trying to answer this question. We were promised emails would be sent out on Tuesday, then Wednesday, and Thursday. It is now Friday and we are still waiting.

1) Try to follow the Forum while in Montreal. We will post any info we receive.
2) Print out your receipt showing that you paid for a Bell Center ticket and a package. As of now, take your receipt and your ticket to the museum preview. The museum has suggested your Bell Center ticket will get you in as there is a notation of the package purchased on it. However, this is problematic because welcome packages are not shown on the ticket. -- Marie
Seattle 2009, Portland 2012
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Here is the information for the VIP packages and Welcome Packages, including the museum preview info. Scroll down to read the letter that pertains to the package you purchased.

GOLD & SILVER VIP LOUNGE PACKAGES

Tower of Song: A Memorial Tribute to Leonard Cohen

Hello,
We're delighted that you will be joining us for this unique event

SHOW INFORMATION & SCHEDULE

Show Date: Monday, November 6th
Venue: Bell Centre
Check-In Address: 1275 Saint-Antoine West (corner de la Montagne)
Check-In Hours: 4:00 PM to 7:30 PM
Pre-show Lounge: 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
Crowd-Free Merchandise Shopping: 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
Doors open to Public: 6:30 PM
After-show Lounge: 30 minutes from end of concert
All timing is subject to change

VIP CHECK-IN

Location: La Mise au Jeu Restaurant [see map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 99998&z=17].
Hours: 4:00 PM to 7:30 PM
At VIP Check-In, you will receive your exclusive Gold or Silver Package including one
commemorative laminate, one specially-designed Leonard Cohen lithograph and one
specially-designed merchandise item made exclusively for the VIP package, and a
souvenir event poster.
Please note: Merchandise cannot be shipped after the event.

VIP LOUNGE

La Mise au Jeu Restaurant
from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM, during intermission and for 30 minutes after show
Hot and cold food
Beer, wine and non-alcoholic beverages

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT YOUR TICKETS

Please make sure to bring your tickets with you. If your ticket delivery method is set to
will call, please make sure to pick up your tickets from the box office prior to arriving at
check-in.

EARLY ENTRY

Will begin at 6 PM
Clients must be checked-in and present at the VIP check-in area at 5:45PM
Latecomers will miss the early entry opportunity

MAC EXHIBIT ACCESS

- Clients will have access to the Musée d’art contemporain exhibit on either November 6th or
7th, from Noon to 5 PM
- GOLD, SILVER, BRONZE and VIP PREMIUM clients will be admitted upon presentation of
their concert ticket.
- WELCOME TO LEONARD COHEN’S MONTREAL purchasers will be sent an e-ticket which
can be used to access the MAC exhibit

BRONZE VIP & VIP PREMIUM SEAT PACKAGES

Hello,

Crowd-Free Merchandise Shopping: 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM

VIP CHECK-IN

Location: 1275 Saint-Antoine West (corner de la Montagne) [see map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 99998&z=17].
At VIP Check-In, you will receive your exclusive Bronze or Premium Package
including one specially-designed Leonard Cohen merchandise item made exclusively
for the VIP package and a souvenir event poster.

Please make sure to bring your tickets with you. If your ticket delivery method is set to
will call, please make sure to pick up your tickets from the box office prior to arriving at
check-in.

EARLY ENTRY

Will begin at 6 PM
Clients must be checked-in and present at the VIP check-in area 5:45PM
Latecomers will miss the early entry opportunity

MAC EXHIBIT ACCESS

- Clients will have access to the Musée d’art contemporain exhibit on either November 6th or
7th, from Noon to 5 PM
- GOLD, SILVER, BRONZE and VIP PREMIUM clients will be admitted upon presentation of
their concert ticket.

WELCOME TO LEONARD COHEN’S MONTREAL PACKAGE

Hello,

VIP CHECK-IN

Location: 1275 Saint-Antoine West (corner de la Montagne) [see map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 99998&z=17].
At VIP Check-In, you will receive your exclusive Welcome to Montreal Package
including one commemorative laminate, one specially-designed Leonard Cohen
lithograph and one specially-designed Leonard Cohen merchandise item made
exclusively for the VIP package, a souvenir event poster and a souvenir programme (in
lieu of photo montage)

will call, please make sure to pick up your tickets from the box office prior to

MAC EXHIBIT ACCESS

7th, from Noon to 5 PM
their concert ticket.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Brilliant, thanks Marie.

W
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Two remaining questions:

Is this correct, Welcome Package is "claimable" only day of concert starting at 4:00? If so, seems like one would have to either return to hotel to drop off items, or carry them around before, during, and after concert. Couldn't pickup be allowed earlier (ie, noon)?

Also, now it says Welcome Package people will receive an e-ticket for the MAC exhibit. Is this e-ticket required, or can we use a printout of Evenco ticket order showing payment for Welcome Package? (I ask because no e-ticket has been received thus far.

Thanks for your help!

Try to find yout e-ticked here:
- log on to www.evenko.ca (with your registered email address and password)
- click on your name up on the right
- select "Orders"
-
Wybe
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
AlexandraLisping

Post by AlexandraLisping »

Thank you, Marie! This is very helpful.
Seattle 2009, Portland 2012
chengyichan

Post by chengyichan »

" LeDevoir," the French Newspaper in Canada, has a reportage on the Cohen Memorial Week in Montreal in their culture section page 1 and page 5. It is also available on their online page: http://www.ledevoir.com/culture/actuali ... en-la-muse. The reportage covers all the main celebration events in the next few months, including a dance, "Dance me," a show presented by Ballets jazz de Montréal (BJM), from December 5 to December 9, 2017. I have not noticed this event mentioned in the forum. According to the coverage, it should be a dance, accompanied by the songs of Leonard Cohen. For more details, please see: http://www.sonycentre.ca/calendar-event-details/?id=356. When I googled for the dance event, I found an ad for another dance event, presented by the Grand Ballets in Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier, Place des Arts, Montreal, from June 7th To 9th, 2018. They will include a tribute to Leonard Cohen and dance to Cohen's songs, sung by 60 children from the choir Les Petits Chanteurs du Mont-Royal. For more details, please see https://grandsballets.com/en/performanc ... sVEALw_wcB. It seems that the tribute to Cohen in Montreal will continue "to the end of love." Since there is no cure for love and thereby there is no end of love, anyone who does not live in Montreal considers moving to Montreal?

Return to “News”