MONTREAL: More information for the members

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Eva

Re: MONTREAL: More information for the members

Post by Eva »

HugoD wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:02 pm We will be in Montreal for the concert. Since we will be there for 6 days we would also like to make some day trips in and outside Montreal. So this is a request for some suggestions for activities in and around Montreal early November beside the program that already has been made by Jarkko and his team.
Our interest lies in outdoors activities (long walks etc.), good food and wine and local/territorial culture, not so much in museum visits.
Have of course done some homework and found some ideas via TripAdvisor but am keen on tips form locals there that are (much) less commercial

Anyone?

Thanks in advance :D

A trip, can be a day trip or longer up to the Laurentians worthwhile. Mont Tremblant, St. Sauveur.
You can email me, & I can give you more precise info if you like. Eva
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
Eva

Post by Eva »

Hi Pancho,
The bus tour on Sunday, Nov. 5, starts at 10:30 in the morning, so it depends when you arrive in Mtl.
You can ask Jarkko to add you, if you wish.
Eva
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
Ronaldson

Post by Ronaldson »

HugoD wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:02 pm
Our interest lies in outdoors activities (long walks etc.),
You will probably need a car if you really want to get out of the city, but on the south shore there is a park on Mont-Saint-Bruno https://www.sepaq.com/pq/msb/index.dot?language_id=1. It would probably take you a little over an hour to travel there by public transportation from downtown Montreal, but the park does have several kilometres of nature trails. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont-Sain ... ional_Park
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

Does anyone know where Leonard's grave is located within Shaar Hashomayim Congregation Cemetery?

I would like to visit during my trip to Montreal for the concert to pay my respects.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

danslenoir wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 pm Does anyone know where Leonard's grave is located within Shaar Hashomayim Congregation Cemetery?
Very near to the main entrance, to the right as you go in. It is easy to find. Look for the grave with all the stones piled on it and all around it (including, unfortunately, on the back of another family's tomb).

Wendy
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

HugoD wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:02 pm Our interest lies in outdoors activities (long walks etc.)
Don't forget about Mont Royal itself. Easy to get to and lots of scope for long pleasant walks, with great views over the city.

Wendy
holydove

Post by holydove »

danslenoir wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 pm Does anyone know where Leonard's grave is located within Shaar Hashomayim Congregation Cemetery?
I came across this article in Metro magazine online, by Gary Singh, about his visit to Leonard's grave; I don't think it's been previously posted in the forum. I thought it was pretty interesting, & I think it will give you a clue as to the issue of finding Leonard's grave. Here is the link:

http://www.metroactive.com/features/col ... anada.html

I found this paragraph particularly interesting:

"As I skulked into the cemetery, a few maintenance workers were standing there, just inside the gate. Before I said a word, they looked at me and said, "Cohen? He's right over there." They pointed a few gravestones over. They knew exactly who I was looking for, without me even asking. In other words, I didn't have to knock, the gate was open, and the gatekeepers showed me the way. Talk about symbolism."
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Here is a map of the cemetery. I have marked in red where the Cohen grave site is. There is only one entrance to the cemetery, at the intersection of Foret Rd. and Mont Royal Blvd. The gates to the cemetery close at night however, there is a pedestrian opening next to the gates that is always open.

This cemetery map is included in the Google map I made of Cohen sites at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... 03051&z=13

cemetery map.JPG
Marie
Speaking Cohen
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

More about the cemetery from Chengyi Chan, Montreal:
I went to visit Cohen's resting place at Congregation Shaar Hashomayim Cemetery today. Around the tombstone that Cohen shares with Rubinovich (his own tomstone is not ready yet), somebody put a green plastic spelling "I'm ready, my lord," which you know well is a line from "You Want it Darker."

The side door to the cemetery seems to be open most of the time, at least it was open, when I arrived 4:30 p.m. and stayed open when I left around 5 p.m. I was worried that it might not be open late in the afternoon before I made the trip.

I took bus 129 on Jeanne-Mance near Metro Place-des-arts and got off at the corner of Côte Ste Catherine and Outremont. See the route here: http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks/bu ... -129-north. It is better to check this website, as some of the bus stops have been relocated because of road repair

The address of the cemetery is 1250 Chemin de la Forêt, which cannot be seen anywhere near the main road Côte Ste Catherine. It took me a while to know that I had to cross the street and go backwards and turn right at Avenue McCulloch and take avenue all the way to the end, which will meet Boulevard du Mont-Royal. Turn right and walk until the road turns. The cemetery is right there on the left side.

Leonard's resting place is on the left, next to the trees (no tombstone yet)

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
JaneBK

Post by JaneBK »

Tombstone should be unveiled on his Yahrzeit?
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

Thanks all for the info/tips on Leonard's gravesite! :)
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

You can listen to Adam speak about the tribute concert to Leonard on Aaron Rand's radio show.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/adam-coh ... =1.3390838
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/th ... 55393.html

The MAC invites all Montreal and Leonard Cohen enthusiasts to gather at Silo No. 5 to commemorate the great poet on the one-year anniversary of his passing

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal
Oct 30, 2017, 05:30 ET

MONTREAL, Oct. 30, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - On the first anniversary of Leonard Cohen's passing, the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal invites Montreal and Leonard Cohen enthusiasts to come together at the foot of Silo No. 5, at 6 p.m. on November 7, to commemorate the remarkable wordsmith. The MAC will be inaugurating a silent, majestic installation by artist Jenny Holzer as part of its Leonard Cohen: Une brèche en toute chose / A Crack in Everything exhibition, which will open at the MAC on November 9, 2017. Presented by CBC/Radio-Canada, the exhibition is part of the official program for Montreal's 375th anniversary celebrations.

This unique and ephemeral work will be visible for five nights only, from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., starting on November 7, the first anniversary of Cohen's death, and going until November 11.

"It's unusual for the MAC to venture beyond its walls and take over an urban space to give Montrealers a one-of-a-kind, public, collective experience. It was important for us to organize a sizeable, free event for Montrealers on the occasion of Montreal's 375th anniversary. It is also a moment we wanted to offer anyone wanting to mark the first anniversary of Leonard Cohen's death. In this sense, Jenny Holzer's majestic piece is a heartfelt, creative and touching silent tribute to the poet who left us so recently."

— John Zeppetelli, Director and Chief Curator at the MAC, and co-curator of the Leonard Cohen: Une brèche en toute chose / A Crack in Everything exhibition.

ENJOY THE PROJECTIONS WHILE LISTENING TO COHEN'S MUSIC ON ICI MUSIQUE

For an enhanced experience during the projections, ICI MUSIQUE offers a free "Tribute to Leonard Cohen" internet radio http://www.icimusique.ca/webradios/a285 ... nard-Cohen. You'll be thoroughly moved by the powerful emotion delivered by his deep, warm voice as well as the talent of other great artists who pay tribute by performing his songs. The selection includes: Leonard Cohen (of course), Rufus Wainwright, Ariane Moffatt, Diane Reeves, Jeff Buckley, Isabelle Boulay, Nina Simone and Philip Glass. This internet radio is a free, random playlist available via the ICI MUSIQUE app or on ICIMusique.ca.

SEE THE PROJECTIONS FROM THE MARCHÉ DES ÉCLUSIERS

To fully appreciate the work, stop at the Marché des éclusiers http://www.vieuxportdemontreal.com/rest ... -eclusiers, which will be opened for the five nights of the event. For this occasion, a special menu, inspired by Montreal and Leonard Cohen, will be offered.

FOR LEONARD COHEN

Jenny Holzer has been projecting light onto buildings and landscapes since the early 1990s, creating large-scale installations that illuminate and reveal. Text exploring themes such as sex, war, power, fear, love, and loss is set in motion in public spaces, in sometimes startling juxtapositions that evoke solitary and shared contemplation. As part of the MAC's Cohen exhibition, Holzer will present a series of mammoth projections on Silo no. 5, one of Montreal's most iconic architectural structures. The installation will feature phrases from Cohen's poems and songs, projected in both French and English. The integration of Cohen's writing into Holzer's monumental work offers an alternative perspective on the author's words, a new way of experiencing his meanings and messages. In manifesting the relationship between the image and the written word, the language of Holzer's projections becomes, in the words of poet Henri Cole, "direct, open, unselfconscious, precise, and human."

JENNY HOLZER'S BIOGRAPHY

For more than thirty-five years, Jenny Holzer has presented her astringent ideas, arguments, and sorrows in public places and international exhibitions, including 7 World Trade Center, the Venice Biennale, the Guggenheim Museums in New York and Bilbao, and the Whitney Museum of American Art. Her medium, whether formulated as a T-shirt, a plaque, or an LED sign, is writing, and the public dimension is integral to the delivery of her work. Starting in the 1970s with the New York City posters, and continuing through her recent light projections on landscape and architecture, her practice has rivaled ignorance and violence with humor, kindness, and courage. Holzer received the Leone d'Oro at the Venice Biennale in 1990, the World Economic Forum's Crystal Award in 1996, and the Barnard Medal of Distinction in 2011. She holds honorary degrees from Williams College, the Rhode Island School of Design, The New School, and Smith College. She lives and works in New York.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

The Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal (MAC) wishes to first thank Leonard Cohen, who gave his generous consent to the exhibition concept while alive. The MAC also wishes to thank the family and friends of Cohen, in particular Robert Kory and Adam Cohen, who provided important support for the organization of this exhibition.

The MAC is pleased to be associated with local institutional partners who have generously contributed to the production of this exhibition. The MAC extends its warm thanks to CBC/Radio-Canada, the exhibition presenter and creator of exclusive content for the exhibition. CBC/Radio-Canada also made its archives available at no charge to the artists creating work for this project.

The MAC also wishes to thank its exhibition partners: DeSerres, Aéroports de Montréal (ADM) and the Société de transport de Montréal (STM).

Co-curatorial partners provided specific support in the realization of this exhibition. The MAC wishes to thank the National Film Board of Canada (NFB), which also made their full archives available free-of charge to the artists. The MAC and NFB are co-curators and coproducers of a work of art with the Daily tous les jours collective. The concert series Leonard Cohen: 5 concerts / 5 albums was produced in collaboration with POP Montréal.

The MAC thanks Sony Music and Sony ATV for granting permission to use the songs and archival video material of Leonard Cohen to the artists and for the purpose of the exhibition.

The MAC greatly appreciates the contribution of partners who directly supported the creation of artworks by the artists: Goethe-Institut (Candice Breitz), Spotify (Daily tous les jours), Audio Z (George Fok), Consulate General of Israel in Montreal and the Swiss Institute (Ari Folman), as well as Lytro (Zach Richter).

The MAC is a provincially owned corporation funded by the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications du Québec. It receives additional funding from the Department of Canadian Heritage and the Canada Council for the Arts. The MAC also thanks its partners Loto-Québec and Ubisoft Montréal, and its media partners La Presse and Publicité sauvage.

Finally, the Musée sincerely thanks the following for their generous support: The Azrieli Foundation, the Stephen and Lillian Vineberg Family Foundation, Nick Tedeschi and Sal Guerrera, and Claudine and Stephen Bronfman Family Foundation.

About the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal (MAC)

Located in the heart of the Quartier des Spectacles, the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal (MAC) makes today's art a vital part of Montréal and Québec life. For more than fifty years, this vibrant museum has brought together local and international artists, their works and an ever-growing public. It is also a place of discovery, offering visitors experiences that are continually changing and new, and often unexpected and stirring. The MAC presents temporary exhibitions devoted to outstanding and relevant current artists who provide their own particular insight into our society, as well as exhibitions of works drawn from the museum's extensive Permanent Collection. These may feature any and every form of expression: digital and sound works, installations, paintings, sculptures, ephemeral pieces, and more. In addition to its wide range of educational activities familiarizing the general public with contemporary art, the MAC organizes unique artistic performances and festive events. It is a window onto a myriad of avant-garde expressions that extend the reach of art throughout the city and beyond.
www.macm.org

About the Society for the Celebration of Montréal's 375th Anniversary

The Society for the Celebration of Montréal's 375th Anniversary is a non-profit organization whose mission is to organize the celebrations and socioeconomic contributions that will mark Montréal's 375th anniversary in 2017. With a focus on promoting Montréal expertise, it acts as a catalyst for local forces in carrying out its mandate: to mobilize the community, implement a funding strategy, rigorously manage public funds, develop quality programming and ensure the visibility of the celebrations.

The Society benefits from the support of the Ville de Montréal, the Québec government, the Canada government and private funding from 12 Great Montrealers. For more information, see 375mtl.com.

You can find all our press releases and additional pictures and videos in our virtual press room.
Get all the latest news in real time on our Twitter feed: @375Mtl.

Follow us on Facebook.

To learn more about the contribution of the Québec government to Montréal's 375th Anniversary celebrations, click here.

SOURCE Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal

For further information: MAC, Roxane Dumas-Noël, Head of Public Relations, 514 944-4472, roxane.dumas-noel@macm.org; Society of the 375th, Isabelle Pelletier, Media Relations, 514 238-4178, ipelletier@375mtl.com

Related Links

http://www.macm.org

Marie
Speaking Cohen
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Without any new information neither from Evenko nor organizers (they promised to send email yesterday on Tuesday to all who paid for VIP/Welcome packages, but nothing happened), here is my suggestion what to do if you have to go on the road before any official info has been received:

- log on to www.evenko.ca (with your registered email address and password)
- click on your name up on the right
- select "Orders"
- print out "Order Details" sheet and take it with you (details on your extra purchases are shown)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Thanks Jarkko for this helpful suggestion. Was already wondering were the promised e-mail was. Leaving Friday for Montreal and looking forward seeing you all.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.

Return to “News”