MONTREAL: More information for the members

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

MONTREAL: More information for the members

Post by jarkko »

The Montreal announcement was posted six hours ago. You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37651

Now it's time to announce more happenings in Montreal. It is also possible that there will be some additions to this information. Below is what we've got so far. We will keep you updated!

According to what we have been told, on Wednesday September 20 there will also be a member presale to the Memorial concert. We have not yet received the details but will post everything as soon as we get more info (on Monday or Tuesday?)

Marie & Jarkko

A Week of Celebration of Leonard Cohen in Montreal

• Fans arrive from around the world to Montreal on November 4-5 for a week of celebration.

• Fans can download application for unique augmented reality tour of Montreal through the eyes of Leonard Cohen.

• “Tower of Song” concert at the Bell Centre on November 6th.

• Fans and celebrities have advanced tour of Exhibition at Musée d’arts contemporain de Montréal on November 6th & 7th.

• Presentation of proceeds from Concert to Canada Arts Councils, federal, provincial and local on November 6

• Outdoor laser projection of Cohen Lyrics in Old Montreal on the evening of November 7th, continuing until the 11th

• Dedication of Leonard Cohen Mural on November 8th.

• Public opening of art exhibition on November 9th.

Key Elements of Major Events

• Tower of Song Concert at Bell Centre will be a historic celebration of the work of a renowned songwriter and poet

– Confirmed artists include: ELVIS COSTELLO, LANA DEL REY, FEIST, PHILIP GLASS, K.D. LANG, THE LUMINEERS, DAMIEN RICE, STING, PATRICK WATSON, ADAM COHEN, BALLETS JAZZ DE MONTRÉAL

– Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada and Premier Philippe Coulliard of Québec

– Additional artists in process of confirmation including celebrities to read poetry selections.

– Event to be filmed as a concert/documentary to be broadcast around the world in 2018 – JACK BENDER (creator of Lost and most recently director of Mr. Mercedes), director.

• Exhibition of works inspired by the artist of Leonard Cohen at the Musée d’arts contemporain de Montréal

– Leading contemporary artists from around the world have been commissioned to create new works inspired by Leonard Cohen.

– Artists have licensed elements of Leonard Cohen’s works and applied new digital technologies to create new and unique works emotionally driven by the depth of Leonard Cohen’s art.

– Works range from VR experiences of “Hallelujah” to multiscreen acapella vocal performances in 3D sound.

– Exhibition to travel around the world after closing in Montreal end of April 2018.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Caren

Re: MONTREAL: More information for the members

Post by Caren »

Thank you Jarkko and Marie.

This sounds like a wonderful week filled with celebrations in memory of Leonard. Although we won't be able to stay for the full week we are very much looking forward to seeing many of our fellow forum members in Montreal.
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Many, many thanks to Jarkko and Marie!!!!

Looks like we will have to extend our stay :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mabeanie1

Re: Montreal: we will be there!

Post by Mabeanie1 »

A lot of familiar faces. It's good to know I will be amongst friends for what will be a very emotional occasion.

It's also lovely to see that so many people I shared those wonderful November 2012 concerts at the Centre Bell with will be there. They were truly magical - who could forget hearing La Manic for the first time in a room full of people for whom the song is so special?

I am writing this from exactly the same hotel room I had for those shows and getting really quite tearful at the memories .....

See you in November!

Wendy
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I will be there till the 9th. I would have liked to stay longer but I will only be a couple of weeks back home from Montreal before I fly back out again for the event.

This sounds intriguing BTW:

• Fans can download application for unique augmented reality tour of Montreal through the eyes of Leonard Cohen.

Wendy

***Sorry Wendy, I moved this from the thread that lists our participants at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37652 - will lock it now, to keep it just for the names / Jarkko
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

The Evenko.ca page for the Memorial Tribute is up.

http://www.evenko.ca/en/events/13152/to ... 11-06-2017

I suggest everyone check it out and register for ticket buying (top right link). You might want to practice buying tickets for Katy Perry who is also appearing at the Bell Centre:

http://www.evenko.ca/en/events/12697/ka ... 17#tickets

I understand that there are several concert configurations for the Bell Centre. I will be providing more info on these if we don't get specific info which one is used beforehand.

The steps are:
Select # of tickets
Select price level
Then you can go over to the stadium map and select the area you want tickets

If you do practice buying Katy Perry tickets, please notice the timer at the top of the page. You have 2 minutes to decide to take the tickets or you lose them. Not something you have to worry about when practicing but could be important when ordering your Cohen tickets.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Dear Marie,

Are you saying the seating plan will be the same as for Katy Perry? Standing only on main floor level?

Mary

From Marie -- LOL. No, actually I was trying to say the opposite, sort of. I don't know what the configuration will be. I just know there are several different ones and most don't have standing room. I assume there won't be standing room for our concert, but I can't be sure. The Katy Perry configuration though probably provides the most variety. That's why I suggested people use it for practice. Thanks for helping me to clear this up.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

A word of warning re Evenko: don't assume you have an account if you bought tickets for the 2012 concerts. It looks like they've changed their system since then so you have to re-register. At least that was the situation for me.

Wendy
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Thank you Marie,

I hope they don't do standing area on main floor as there are a number of 'mature folks' here - we ache in the places where we used to play ;-)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

MaryB wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:14 am Thank you Marie,

I hope they don't do standing area on main floor as there are a number of 'mature folks' here - we ache in the places where we used to play ;-)
I agree Mary. But it wasn't standing for Leonard and I can't see why it would be for a tribute to him.

Wendy
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Ticket and presale info in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37657

Meanwhile, please put now your names in the list if you plan to come (send name & country me by email). Marie and I will create an email list that can be used in the next weeks to inform the participants.

Please note that this service is for registered members of this Forum only.

Right now we have almost 100 names. The list is at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37652
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
zodkavombie

Post by zodkavombie »

How I wish I could join in this event but unfortunately I have two important hospital appointments on 7th November which I cannot cancel. I will be with you in spirit.
O2, 17th July and 13th November 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009, Barecelona 21 September 2009, Lille 25 September 2010, Las Vegas 10th and 11th December 2010, Wembley 9th September 2012, Paris 29th September 2012, O2 London 21st June, 15th September 2013.
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

zodkavombie wrote: How I wish I could join in this event but unfortunately I have two important hospital appointments on 7th November which I cannot cancel. I will be with you in spirit.
I know there are many people that feel the same. I am sorry you can't be there, but I will be thinking of you all. I would have rather been in your shoes when you saw him in person. But yes, you will be there in spirit.
Vickie
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The presales went really well. From Evenko:
buy now as we expect full sell out after a day or 2 on public.
If you don't have tickets yet, best to buy as soon as the public sale opens!
AlexandraLisping

Post by AlexandraLisping »

I have not been active here, but I'm grateful for the information, and I'm happy to report that I got tickets and one of the low-end VIP packages, thanks to the good advice I've found on this forum.

I'm especially pleased to have a way to see the museum exhibition, since I have to leave Montreal the day after the show.
Seattle 2009, Portland 2012

Return to “News”