TOWER OF SONG: MEMORIAL TRIBUTE TO LEONARD COHEN, MONTREAL

The Tower of Song Tribute Concert, the MAC Exhibition, Leonard Cohen Murals, Leonard's Grave, City Tour for our Members
OldIdeasAreTheBest

Re: TOWER OF SONG: MEMORIAL TRIBUTE TO LEONARD COHEN, MONTREAL

Post by OldIdeasAreTheBest »

Is the presale info posted?

***Not, yet, but will be at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37653 / Jarkko
San Diego, Coachella, San Jose 2009
Oakland 12/6/2010, Las Vegas 12/11/2010
Madrid and Los Angeles 2012
Oakland 2013
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

Thank you so much Jarkko and Marie - this will truly be a very special few days for those of us lucky enough to be there.

And how wonderful of Adam to organise such a stunning tribute. Grateful thanks to everyone else involved in this amazing event.

Janet
anothermarianne

Post by anothermarianne »

thank you Jarkko. Is the presale announced ? Please also inform about special events. Looking forward to going to Montreal to honour Leonard.

***Go to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37653 / Jarkko
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Dear Jarkko,
Adam has said, as does the poster 'and much more to be announced'. Does that mean the poster will change as names are added?
Mary

***We will see (and buy if we want) the final poster in Montreal! 8) / Jarkko
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainmen ... rd-tribute

Montreal Gazette

A son's daunting duty: Adam Cohen a little overwhelmed by task of overseeing Leonard tribute

Though he has been consumed by grief, Adam Cohen still felt it was his duty to organize a concert paying tribute to his father, Leonard.

BRENDAN KELLY, MONTREAL GAZETTE

Published on: September 18, 2017

Adam Cohen, like his father, Leonard Cohen, has a way with words, and he has a remarkably poetic way of talking about everyday life. But when asked during an interview Monday morning what the year since his dad’s death has been like, Adam doesn’t beat around the bush when trying to describe his life since Cohen Sr. died last Nov. 7.

“It’s been terrible,” said Adam Cohen in a chat at the Musée d’art contemporain. “I’ve been irritable. They don’t prepare you for these kinds of things. They don’t prepare you for the wonderful birth of a child and they don’t prepare you for the loss of people who are beloved to you. I’m not sure if they did prepare you that it would serve much (purpose). It’s stirring and pivotal and in this case deeply, deeply disagreeable.”

Though he has been consumed by grief, Cohen still felt it was his duty to organize a concert paying tribute to his father, and he has spent months preparing Tower of Song: A Memorial Tribute to Leonard Cohen, which will take place at the Bell Centre Nov. 6. The lineup includes Sting, Lana Del Rey, Elvis Costello, Feist, Philip Glass, Damien Rice, Wesley Schultz and Jeremiah Fraites from The Lumineers, Patrick Watson, k.d. lang and Adam Cohen. I suggested to Cohen that working on the show might be helping with the grief, but unfortunately that wasn’t the case.

“Not a drop, it just makes it worse,” Cohen said with a laugh. “Frankly, my pre-occupation with my father’s work, his being, his influence, the standard of excellence that I feel he’s owed has probably all been an undue burden on me. But this is what I feel he deserves, and I want to be part of this celebration.”

Cohen has followed in his father’s footsteps and is also a singer-songwriter, with four albums to his credit.

He said “it’s nervous-making” talking about the daunting task of pulling together this major concert. But he kept coming back in the conversation to the notion that he really had no choice in the matter.

“Now that it’s being announced, I’m rather intimidated,” Cohen said. “What have I done? Why have I done this? I know it’s out of filial devotion. My old man was very modest. It’s one of his chief distinguishing characteristics and he was so preoccupied with the work. Literally shaved his head, abandoned civilization and went on top of a mountain to meditate, while everyone else was worrying about what they were wearing and who they were (having sex with) and who they were allied with.

“As a result, money was stolen from him and he was left with the impression of a lower stature in society than I believe he actually had. So I grew up with a notion that he imparted to me, both that of his modesty and his lack of concern for celebrity. I grew up thinking he was just this (everyday) genius and fringe icon at best. And to see at the end of his career such a testimony from his community and peers and colleagues of admiration, love and warmth, and to see the span of his influence, that’s what I wanted to put on display.”

Tower of Song: A Memorial Tribute to Leonard Cohen takes place at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 6 at the Bell Centre. Tickets go on sale Saturday at noon and cost from $40.25 to $276.50 (including taxes and service fees). They will be available at evenko.ca and via 514-790-2525.
There is a video of Adam on the website.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4294437
Leonard Cohen homage show in Montreal to feature Elvis Costello, Sting, k.d. lang

Beloved singer-songwriter's son, Adam Cohen, invites Montrealers to share their Cohen playlist with him

CBC News Posted: Sep 18, 2017

Calling on Leonard Cohen fans: The son of the beloved singer-songwriter and poet, Adam Cohen, is inviting you to let him know what songs of his father's they would like to hear on Nov. 6, when the elder Cohen will be commemorated in style on the first anniversary of his death.

The tribute concert, titled Tower of Song: A Memorial Tribute to Leonard Cohen, will take place at the Bell Centre, kicking off a week of events to celebrate Cohen's life.

Adam Cohen, the show's co-producer, will perform, along with Elvis Costello, Sting, Lana Del Rey, Feist, Philip Glass, k.d. lang, The Lumineers, Damien Rice, Patrick Watson — and others still to be announced.

"I would love to know what your audience is interested in," Adam Cohen told CBC Arts reporter Nantali Indongo.
"What songs would they like to hear? What artists that are not listed on the poster at the moment — what artists do you see that we don't have yet?" he asked, directing Leonard Cohen fans to the @CommanderCohen Instagram account.

Adam Cohen said he's been planning the Nov. 6 tribute concert for his father since the day Leonard Cohen died last year. (Charles Contant/CBC)

"I have a very clear idea of the playlist — the songs we can't not feature in the evening," Adam Cohen said. "But I don't want to dictate to anybody what they walk out humming in their souls."

"The most important thing to my old man, and the thing he was most proud of and thanked his audience for, is that they were keeping his songs alive. This is the next chapter of keeping my old man's songs alive, in the world."

Although the tribute concert was just announced today, Adam Cohen says he's been planning it since the day his father died.

"I've been the motor, the engine. It's been a passion quest," he said.

"My father left me with a list of instructions before he passed: 'Put me in a pine box next to my mother and father. Have a small memorial for close friends and family in Los Angeles…and if you want a public event, do it in Montreal,'" said Cohen earlier Monday, in a news release.

Cohen's love affair with Montreal has been well-documented. He grew up in Westmount and had a home just off the Main in the city's Plateau–Mont-Royal neighbourhood until he died.

Golden Globe winning director Jack Bender, known for his work on Game of Thrones, Lost and The Sopranos, will film the event for an upcoming special.

Tickets for the show go on sale Saturday, Sept. 23 at noon. Prices range from $40.25 to $276.50, fees not included.

A week of Leonard Cohen love

Cohen was 82 when he died.

The announcement of his death last November came two weeks after his final album, You Want It Darker, was released on Oct. 28, 2016.

Proceeds from the show will be shared by several of Canada's arts organizations, a cause near to Cohen's heart.
Leonard Cohen – A Crack in Everything will also debut that week. The exhibit at the Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art will feature commissioned work by filmmakers, visual artists and musicians including Quebec stars Ariane Moffatt, Jean Leloup and French singer Lou Doillon.

The exhibit was approved by the late songwriter before his death and will celebrate Cohen's life and work. It opens Nov. 9.

CBC/Radio-Canada is co-creating several original productions for the exhibition and broadcasting some special events and concerts.
There is a video of Adam on the website.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Jarkko,

Thank you very much for the clarification on the poster!

Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Thank you MarieM for sharing Adam's words on the CBC link.
Vickie
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I don't know where I saw it that Adam asked for suggestions as to what we would want to hear, and at that time I was not familiar with Damien Rice. I goggled him and it led me to a youtube video of him doing a song called 'Back to Her Man'. Initially, I thought I would want to hear nothing but covers of our beloved LC, but when I heard this song, please let him sing this song at the tribute concert. It not only relates to LC, but it sounds like something LC would have sung.....
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Wonderful for Adam to arrange all this, but disappointing that none of Leonard's musicians feature, nor Sharon or Perla or the Webb sisters. Waiting until they were available would be more fitting I think. Nevertheless I hope those that attend enjoy it, as I am sure they will.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

I am sure that all of Leonards band will be there and am sure they have not been listed as they are a "shoe in" to be there
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Ticket and presale info in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37657
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
louella

Post by louella »

I have got my tickets to the Tower of Song Memorial and I am planning my trip to Montreal from the US West Coast. My question is, will we be able to get access to the Museum exhibit before the 9th. I asking so I can purchase my airline tickets. Thanks so much to everyone and looking forward to being together for this special occasion.
Caren

TOWER OF SONG: MEMORIAL TRIBUTE TO LEONARD COHEN, MONTREAL

Post by Caren »

Dear @louella, you will be able to get access to the museum before Nov 9 only if you either purchased

- any of the VIP packages
or
- added the Welcome to Leonard Cohen's Montreal package to your regular tickets.

You can still purchase the Welcome package by phoning Evenko's customer service. This info was posted by Jarkko in the thread he linked above your post.

I hope this helps and see you in Montreal.
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
louella

Post by louella »

Thanks for the info and I look forward to gathering with everyone for this most auspicious event.

Return to “Montreal Memorial Week, November 2017”