Important Announcement (advance thread, now locked)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Hartmut

Re: Important Announcement in August/September

Post by Hartmut »

Athnuachan wrote: But no, I trust Jarkko not to sound excited about anything in poor taste!
Good point!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

There's no need to wait until mid-August for the next bit of news. Something special is being planned for the long weekend of November 5 - 7, 2017 (Sun-Tues), in Leonard's beautiful hometown of Montreal. So keep your calendars open and your travel agent on speed dial. An official announcement and press release is expected to be released in early September.

Marie & Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

That sounds very exciting! I can only guess that there will be some special tribute and unveiling of some kind of memorial in Montreal. Looking forward to the info and hope to be able to attend.

Sorry for all this speculation but the options are narrowing down...
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Eva

Post by Eva »

Can hardly wait for the announcement, I should be up & running by Nov. (broke my kneecap 2 wks. ago) & available for any meet-ups etc.here in Montreal.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
pironi

Post by pironi »

'll bet that it is not a product (book or album) at all. I'm more inclined to think that something will happen either on his birthday in September or on the anniversary of his death in November.
Who said that? :D

Cohen seems to be in the spotlight in Montreal in November:
http://macm.org/en/exhibitions/leonard-cohen/
The Cohen-inspired exhibition at the MACM opens on November 9.

Looking forward to more details
Pietro.
harald

Post by harald »

Dear Jarkko
Could you please do me a very small favour and tell prime minister Trudeau or other relevant persons that the event in question has to be postponed as I am not available the first half of November. :(
Thanks in advance,
Harald

***I am sure that he will be sorry to miss you! / Jarkko ***
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

jarkko wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:17 pm Something special is being planned for the long weekend of November 5 - 7, 2017 (Sun-Tues), in Leonard's beautiful hometown of Montreal.

Marie & J
"So the great affair is over..." For those of us who won't be able to make it to Montreal in November.

Thank you Marie and Jarkko. Perhaps this announcement should have been originally posted on the Leonard Cohen events thread as it applies mainly to those who attend such events? Probably few of us in Europe would be willing/able to book a trip to Montreal in Nov., especially as we won't know until September what the "something special" involves. I just hope that some of the good suggestions made on this thread which would be applicable to the many of us who so enjoyed LC 's concerts and music will be acted on. And to those of you who can get to Montreal, ENJOY!
Last edited by Athnuachan on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

It's not going to be one of "our" Events but something much more.
And yes, many wishes mentioned in this thread will become reality, not this year but a bit later (here we need to introduce again the famous P-word).
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you so much Jarkko & Marie! looking forward to all the details of the announcement...
and to future postings as per your last post Jarkko.
And yes, many wishes mentioned in this thread will become reality, not this year but a bit later.
Cheers!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

Do you have any idea where the event or events will be happening ? I have started to look at hotels ...
I hope Mr Trudeau joins us .
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm thinking that Justin probably WILL join us 8)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Eva

Post by Eva »

I suggest to fans who are planning to come to Mtl. In November, to purchase the tickets for LC's exhibition at the Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art, before it is sold out.
Leonard Cohen - MAC MontréalMAC Montréal

http://macm.org/en/exhibitions/leonard-cohen/
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The exhition opens for general public on Nov 9
... if you plan to be in Montreal on Nov 5-7 you may also wait until we are able to post our announcement :roll:
Doreen Maher

Post by Doreen Maher »

I hope to be there in November! My sister lives in Montreal and I'm excited about this event! I was in Hydra June 2017 and it was just fantastic time with the group even thoughh I wasn't a member at the time but happily I now am a new member!!! Doreen Maher
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

jarkko wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:44 pm The exhition opens for general public on Nov 9
... if you plan to be in Montreal on Nov 5-7 you may also wait until we are able to post our announcement :roll:
Now, finally, a post by Jarkko which begs not for patience but just for a logical mind to work out why you might not need to book for the exhibition when it opens to the public!

I still have a nice feeling that access to the exhibition won't be the only thing going on ... but for the rest we need .. what's the word ... patience!

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September

Return to “News”