"Crack in Everything" post-card

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

"Crack in Everything" post-card

Post by jarkko »

Gerhard Heindl found this nice Book Card at a local bookstore in Nürnberg.
Produced by Book Card Germany, http://bookcard.de/#widget-c383798a-04c ... c2e2=page2
and also sold by https://www.taurus-kunstkarten.de/
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Geoffrey

Re: "Crack in Everything" post-card

Post by Geoffrey »

jarkko wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 1:09 pm Gerhard Heindl found this nice Book Card at a local bookstore in Nürnberg.
yes, nice it is! a wonderful tribute to a perfectionist who worked so hard to produce such perfectly polished songs. i'm certain we can all turn a blind eye to the apostrophe appearing in gets instead of that's - and surely no one's going to worry that 'how the light gets in' is now 'where the light gets in'. bravo, i say - a job well done! :-)
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

That's funny Snow - I copied the photo from the publisher's website.
Now when I look at the actual card Gerhard sent me I notice that the text is correct!!
The publisher probably has make another edition of the card but has forgotten to replace the photo on their website!
I will scan the card tonight for this thread!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

jarkko wrote:
>That's funny Snow - I copied the photo from the publisher's website.
>Now when I look at the actual card Gerhard sent me I notice that the text is correct!!
>The publisher probably has make another edition of the card but has forgotten to replace the photo on their website!
>I will scan the card tonight for this thread!

well, leonard, being a true virgo, means that he tended to be engrossed with microscopic trivialities - so i only mentioned the errors on his behalf. after all, it was his analysis of tiny details ("between the spurts" - as he called it) that made 'beautiful losers' a cult classic. it was good of you, jarkko, to react so swiftly and politely to a sarcastic comment. sometimes you reveal qualities that befit a real gentleman :-)
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

This is the hard copy of the card! :lol:
Image created by Karl-Ludwig Leiter
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

jarkko wrote:
>This is the hard copy of the card!

much better, thanks, jarkko! the ironic part is that any misprinted editions in circulation will now probably become a rare collector's item ;-)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Interesting. Wonder why the publisher's website couldn't get it right. A publisher after all!

P.S. Jarkko IS a true gentleman 8)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lizzytysh wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:07 am Jarkko IS a true gentleman 8)
well, i am sure that is so, most of the time, but let us talk more generally - not about a specific person. it is important to know the difference between a man and a gentleman. a male should resist becoming totally neutured by the feminist revolution, but retain an inclination for domestic superiority, combined with his instinctual urge for reproduction. a woman who dominates a man quickly loses her respect for him, their intimacy becomes less frequent, and from that moment the relationship falls into a downward spiral. it is fine to be a gentleman part of the time, but for the sake of the marriage, a real man also needs sometimes to stand his ground and show who's boss - and that's what a lot of women subconsciously admire.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The only way for him to show who's boss is to just go ahead and submit, and quit making such a fuss over it with elaborate rationales for doing otherwise. ;-) What a waste of precious, limited time. :)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lizzytysh wrote:
>The only way for him to show who's boss is to just go ahead and submit, and quit making such a fuss over it with elaborate rationales for doing otherwise. ;-) What a waste of precious, limited time. :)

perhaps i have mixed with the wrong people, lizzy, but from my experience a female quickly gets bored in a relationship lacking a dynamic element; nobody longs for a humdrum existence, that would be a real "waste of precious, limited time". ;-) a man's job is to show her the deepest love, emotion, passion, make her feel secure, take responsibility, be the head of the household and be strict with her, so that she knows he cares - and between the sheets she wants a caveman, not a gentleman. :-)
https://youtu.be/1pLATFFuZok
I'm your fan

Post by I'm your fan »

a man's job is to show her the deepest love, emotion, passion, make her feel secure, take responsibility, be the head of the household and be strict with her, so that she knows he cares
Well, that's a man's job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y04BH-mLFzk
Violet

Post by Violet »

Before this conversation goes any further I wanted to point out something in regards to which many of you may not be aware. Yes, now that archivists are, you know, poring over LC's manuscripts 'n such (etc., etc.) it's become abundantly clear that there has been a grave error made--even by the artist himself, at times, who, after all may likely have experienced episodes of forgetfulness (as do we all, in fact, lest we, uh, forget).

.. anyway, point is, the correct lyric is not: "there is a crack in everything".. no, rather it's: "there is crack in everything."

Yes, I know how you must feel: the line suddenly makes all the sense in the world. Whereas before.. well.. sure, one notices cracks in the sidewalk or in a vase or in one's favorite mug, perhaps--you know here and there, from time to time. But, I mean, to say there's a crack in EVERYTHING isn't even remotely believable. Whereas I don't think I need to convince most of you here (especially) how truthfully the now corrected "crack" line rings -- yes, which brings up that other lyric about bells 'n such, which now so rousingly sets up the drug epidemic line.

Anyway, hopefully (once again) I've raised the tenor of the conversation around here. We are, after all, supposed to be talking about the man's work, are we not??
Violet
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you, violet, for spanking me with the metaphorical mechanical corset and lifting me back into the pram. you know i have an irritating habit of shaking a tree just to see if any fruit falls down - forgive me. i believe you may be right, the drug called 'crack' first became all the rage in the mid-1980s - so that would fit in with the time scale. leonard produced 'the future' not long afterwards, mentioning crack and sodomy, so was apparently influenced by all the talk.

thank you also to the poster called 'i'm your fan' for the link directing me to a superb bruce (the boss) springsteen video. it is always a treat to learn the alternative musical tastes of people who admire and listen to leonard.

in a poor attempt to apologise for losing sight of the trail of breadcrumbs leading through leonard's forest, i offer a continuation of the awful series of digitised album covers that have lately been appearing. please take care :-)

by the way, there is not a crack in everything; the famous 'centenary diamond' is 100% flawless.
various positions.jpg
I'm your fan

Post by I'm your fan »

it is always a treat to learn the alternative musical tastes of people who admire and listen to leonard.
Thank you, Geoffrey. I hope you like this cover of Chuk Berry's "You Never Can Tell" (widely known for 1994 film "Pulp Fiction"), by The Boss. Enjoy it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Ds-FXGGQg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

I'm your fan wrote:
>Thank you, Geoffrey. I hope you like this cover of Chuck Berry's "You Never Can Tell" (widely known for 1994 film "Pulp Fiction"), by The Boss. Enjoy it!

exceedingly enjoyable, a most energetic rendition of a classic rock song. not quite as spontaneous as bruce would have us believe, i suspect (the lyrics appeared to be on the floor just to his left), but such is the world of entertainment - and detracts nothing from the superb performance. so thank you, dear springsteen fan; you have the makings of a more than acceptable video jockey on MTV - and in a parallel universe that could indeed be the case. some days ago i read of scientific research concerning this subject coming out of durham university, and thought of leonard's lyrics ('sing another song, boys') about the moon not being the one that we're after - and they seemed to make more sense.

https://youtu.be/g93zvvRmI9E

Return to “News”