Giant mural in Montreal commemorating Leonard Cohen

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
LisaLCFan

Re: Giant mural in Montreal commemorating Leonard Cohen

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey: I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks so (or at least, I'm not the only one to voice my sentiments out loud).

Bev: You are quite the optimist, how nice! I am not so sure, however, about expecting a significant change of expression in the mural, as every aspect of his face has that dour look.

For a man who spread so much positive energy throughout the world, who touched so many lives in the most uplifting ways imaginable, I honestly can't fathom why anybody thought it would be a good idea to portray him (in a gigantic mural on a wall in Montreal just down the street from where he lived, no less) with an expression that seems so uncharacteristic of his spirit. Sure, Leonard could be dark, but there was always a glint in his eye, the light always shone through, and I just don't see it in that mural. But then, nobody asked me...
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:34 am Geoffrey: I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks so (or at least, I'm not the only one to voice my sentiments out loud).

Bev: You are quite the optimist, how nice! I am not so sure, however, about expecting a significant change of expression in the mural, as every aspect of his face has that dour look.

For a man who spread so much positive energy throughout the world, who touched so many lives in the most uplifting ways imaginable, I honestly can't fathom why anybody thought it would be a good idea to portray him (in a gigantic mural on a wall in Montreal just down the street from where he lived, no less) with an expression that seems so uncharacteristic of his spirit. Sure, Leonard could be dark, but there was always a glint in his eye, the light always shone through, and I just don't see it in that mural. But then, nobody asked me...
sometimes people who crave publicity purposely do controversial things. i had never heard of comedian kathy griffin before she did that mask stunt. i suppose it's just business. leonard being strangled by a scarf (à la isadora duncan) will probably focus more attention on the artist than leonard, although this is not art, it's called 'transferring'. no artistic expression, merely a photo copied from one place to another. i have done it myself, with a projector it is easy. i looked up the artist, i think his name is leda(?), and he has done some good work, very good indeed. i think this picture of leonard is just a way to get a reaction :-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Lisa, I can totally relate to your words and I like what Vicki said over the page too. And yes I am an optimist - the latest visual does show a slight softening of LC's face :) Maybe because of the new tonal quality as compared with the first stark monochromatic sketch.

Here's an update :http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4166049

The headlines say the mural festival wraps up today but in the video I linked in my post on the previous page from YouTube 15th June the artist says he had two weeks to go - maybe it was filmed earlier. It doesn't look finished yet and the crane is still there.

btw - I read that the other mural on Crescent street has been OK'd by LC's family and they have provided the photo for it. So I guess we'll wait and see what happens with both of them.

EDIT:
i think this picture of leonard is just a way to get a reaction :)
Geoffrey, Then I think his mission has been successful :razz:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hei bev and lisa. this is more typical of leonard, happy face, wry smile, slightly mischievous glint in eyes. not necessarily this picture, but something similar might have been chosen. too damned late now, though - and more's the pity. that's what happens when the job is given to a 'portraitist' (?) who yearns to be more the centre of attention than the subject they have painted. poor leonard. i don't know the law, but can such a big and horrible picture of him be put onto the outside of a building without permission from his family? just asking.
molde norway 17 july 2009.JPG
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

Since there are 2 murals I am confused. Which one am I supposed to worship at ;) But seriously, folks, the living essence of the man is overwhelming. Who needs a ginormous image? We all go directly to the source.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Lovely photo of Leonard, Geoffrey, and indeed, that is how I picture Leonard in my mind, and how I ideally would like to see him portrayed by others. (But, the world is not an ideal place, is it?)

I agree that "controversial" artwork is often (usually?) a deliberate (and rather shameless) attempt at attention-seeking and self-promotion, but some of our fellow humans are rather repugnant, are they not? Regarding the law, I assume that the owners of the building and the City of Montreal sanctioned the "art-work", with the full knowledge that public art can sometimes be divisive because not everyone is likely to be pleased by what is displayed. Since Leonard is a "public figure/celebrity", I don't think there is much his family can do about the portrait itself, and a sour and atypical facial expression is probably not grounds for legal action. Perhaps the best we can do is refrain from saying another word about it so as not to draw even more attention to it.

We can also hope that the paint is water-soluble, and pray to the weather-gods for a good rain!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Can't help myself, Lisa :)

Murals honouring Leonard Cohen get mixed reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7rPJLjJ68c

Published on Jun 19, 2017
One Montreal mural dedicated to the late Leonard Cohen is being widely praised, but a second one commissioned by the city is causing controversy and dredging up memories of another tribute gone awry.
Click here for the full story: http://cbc.ca/1.4163028
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Well, Bev, the positive reactions to the "grumpy" Leonard mural by those people shown in your video link of that news story may simply prove one (or both) of two things:

1) the news story was deliberately biased in favour of the grumpy mural because it was clearly against the location of the second mural, and so it only gave air-time to people who supported its bias; and/or

2) if those people did actually represent the majority reaction to the grumpy portrait, then (as I have long-believed), most people have really terrible taste in art (and quite possibly in other things, too).
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

some interesting and valid points being brought up in this thread, and i will echo lisa's reaction to the news video depicting multiple people praising the 'grumpy' portrait. three days ago a lady (gisella graham) wrote on social media: "please tell me what you think of this LC mural in montreal". almost without exception the responses she received were negative - and they are countless. so, i am suspicious of that news report, because media is seldom neutral, inclined to ask leading questions and edit out that which doesn't suit the angle they wish to put forward - a manipulative tool, to be sure.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Indeed, very effective points and opinions Lisa and Geoffrey!

As for the general public, for good or for bad, art is always is the eye of the beholder.

As regards Leonard, maybe they don’t know him like we do ;-)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Oh, Bev, I'm beginning to think that you are actually quite fond of the "grumpy" Leonard portrait, the way you seem to be taking sides with its supporters and admirers. ;-)
Last edited by LisaLCFan on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
B4real

Post by B4real »

LisaLCFan wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:59 am Oh, Bev, I'm beginning to think that you are actually quite fond of the "grumpy" Leonard portrait, the way you seem to be taking sides with its supporters and admirers.
Ah Lisa, I'll always prefer a happy face to a sad one! All I wrote previously is that I was truly optimistically hoping his expression would soften and as I said I think the portrait is not finished yet!
I'm simply reporting the news (fake or not ;-) ) whatever it says and wherever it comes from :razz:
B4real wrote: btw - I read that the other mural on Crescent street has been OK'd by LC's family and they have provided the photo for it. So I guess we'll wait and see what happens with both of them.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Yes, Bev, happy faces are definitely preferable when possible. :D

Cheers!
Violet

Post by Violet »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:35 am leonard being strangled by a scarf (à la isadora duncan)
Geoffrey, you really crack me up sometimes.

Entertaining thread, by the way (everyone).

(Actually, there's that word again: 'crack'.) (Wrong thread though.)
Violet
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Violet wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:06 pm
Geoffrey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:35 am leonard being strangled by a scarf (à la isadora duncan)
Geoffrey, you really crack me up sometimes.

Entertaining thread, by the way (everyone).

(Actually, there's that word again: 'crack'.) (Wrong thread though.)
ah, the 'mother of modern dance'. so glad you picked up on that, dear well-read violet - and glad also that someone is being entertained ;-)

Return to “News”