the beauty of our weapons

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Geoffrey

the beauty of our weapons

Post by Geoffrey »

John Etherington

Re: the beauty of our weapons

Post by John Etherington »

Of course Leonard (as I think he said himself) was talking about musical "weapons" rather then the kind that bring slaughter and destruction.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

John Etherington wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:43 am Of course Leonard (as I think he said himself) was talking about musical "weapons" rather then the kind that bring slaughter and destruction.
right, and when he wrote "i will help you if i must, i'll kill you if i can" he was also talking about music, of course ;-)
Greg Ross

Post by Greg Ross »

I have a different view - I always felt that Leonard had a deep interest in the military and battle, which is not to say he was a raging pro-gun enthusiast, rather he understood the primeval instinct / human condition to fight / protect / raid. As with most Jewish, Christian and Islamic texts, battles and fighting provided much of the metaphorical imagery in Leonard's work. Of course, when Trump's right wing lackey quoted Cohen, he completely missed the savage irony of Leonard's carefully crafted words.
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Greg Ross wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:55 pmI always felt that Leonard had a deep interest in the military and battle, which is not to say he was a raging pro-gun enthusiast, rather he understood the primeval instinct / human condition to fight / protect / raid.
yes indeed, you are absolutely right, greg - and not for nothing did he earlier name his backing group 'the army'. i think he realised that killing people is not necessarily a wrong thing to do, because if they've been good they more than likely go to a better place anyway :-)

Return to “News”