Like a Drunk in a Midnight Choir - Record Store Day 2017 vinyl

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Like a Drunk in a Midnight Choir - Record Store Day 2017 vinyl

Post by jarkko »

LIKE A DRUNK IN A MIDNIGHT CHOIR
http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/9389

Event: RECORD STORE DAY 2017
Release Date: 4/22/2017
Format: LP
Label: Record Store Day
Quantity: 2500
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release

01 Who By Fire (Glen Hansard)
02 Chelsea Hotel #2 (Terry Reid)
03 Treaty (Avi Buffalo)
04 Everybody Knows (Joseph Arthur)
05 I'm Your Man (Cherry Glazerrw/Mike Watt)
06 The Partisan (Matt Costa)
07 Did I Ever Love You (Korey Dane)
08 Bird On A Wire (Leeann Skoda)
09 Steer Your Way (Matthew Ryan)
10 Dance Me To The End Of Love (Jay Buchanan)
11 So Long, Marianne (Donovan)

Thanks to Lee Kaufman for the news
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Record Store Day 2017: tribute vinyl

Post by jarkko »

Additional info from Rand, the producer of the album
Javier Mas plays with Glen Hansard, and opens the album with an instrumental intro to Who By Fire. The album is on colored vinyl and it includes a download code (wav files). It's a vinyl only release, and there are no plans to release it on CD or digitally at this point.

It's a benefit for The Pablove Foundation.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

http://www.grammymuseum.org/events/deta ... 7025307911
Ahead of the 10th anniversary of Record Store Day (April 22), the GRAMMY Museum is thrilled to present a panel discussion and performance in the Clive Davis Theater celebrating the music holiday's 10th year, the legacies of independent record stores, and Record Store Day's first official release, Like A Drunk In A Midnight Choir--Record Store Day Celebrates The Music of Leonard Cohen, proceeds of which will benefit The Pablove Foundation, an organization devoted to fighting childhood cancer with love. The evening will include a panel discussion featuring Zev Feldman, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Resonance Records; Rand Foster, owner of Fingerprints Music in Long Beach, Calif.; Lol Tolhurst, co-founder of The Cure; Jo Ann Thrailkill, co-founder and President/CEO of The Pablove Foundation; Dean Wareham of the band Luna; and Marc Weinstein, co-founder of Amoeba Music. The discussion will be moderated by Record Store Day Co-Founder Carrie Colliton and will feature musical performances from singer/songwriter and musician Matt Costa and musician Korey Dane, who both contributed to the Like A Drunk In A Midnight Choir album.

Event Schedule: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 7:30pm. The program is free.
800 W Olympic Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

One of the finest cover art I can recall :razz:

01 Who By Fire (Glen Hansard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akWyseXBTE0 (live in Antwerp 2016 - check out YouTube for more videos)

04 Everybody Knows (Joseph Arthur)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt9GPITisoY (live in New York City 2017)

07 Did I Ever Love You (Korey Dane)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPBfQ7yIRwM (The Voice 2016)
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Matthew Ryan is covering "Steer Your Way." Here's what he says about the cover and if you go to the article, at the bottom, there is a clip of the cover.
https://matthewryanonline.com/home/blog ... nard-cohen

Ryan joins Glen Hansard, Joseph Arthur and more for a Record Store Day Tribute to Leonard Cohen

I'm thrilled to share this preview of my cover of Leonard Cohen's "Steer Your Way" for a Record Store Day tribute. It's a vinyl only release by the fine folks at RSD and the amazing Rand Foster. Scroll below to listen to a preview of my version of "Steer Your Way."

As many of you know, Leonard Cohen has been an enormous influence on my life and work. This is a vinyl only release and it comes out on Record Store Day, April 22nd 2017. Read all about who participated and where you can find this exclusive and beautiful vinyl right here:
http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/9389

Please ask your favorite local record shop to carry it for Record Store Day 2017. Then grab a copy when it's released on April 22nd. I promise you you'll hear Cohen covered with all the affection and commitment his work deserves by people like myself, Joseph Arthur, Glen Hansard, Matt Costa, and Cherry Glazerr with Mike Watt. And so many more talented people. That's just an overview. Rand Foster, who helmed this project, followed it all the way through with every detail. It feels like a perfect and steady homage to such a seminal artist. If you've ever felt that Cohen was just beyond your taste, this is a wonderful way to get introduced to just how wonderful a writer he was. And almost more importantly, if you already love Cohen, I believe you'll get to feel those songs again, in a new and honest way that shares your sense of wonder and loss, and the incredible durability of these songs. The whole collection feels of a piece. No small task. Love was the engine.

My choice was "Steer Your Way" because I fell in love with it one long into dark drive from the middle of Texas to the middle of Tennessee just after Cohen's last album, "You Want It Darker" came out. The trees and headlights, his gigantic voice, The hum of tires and distance, the wanting to rest but pressing forward... The great metaphor, the great songs are always about more. I've been saying over and over to anyone that will listen, cynicism is a form of defeat. Don't go there. Stay hopeful. Don't be delusional, but you know, stay connected to the fact that you are a boat. You've got oars. "Steer Your Way" says all that better than I ever could.

Olly Knights (of Turin Brakes) sang with me on my version. You won't hear his voice on this preview. But trust me, this is a gift worth waiting for. He's one of my favorite singers, a wildly talented human. His parts on this recording are breathtaking. I'm not kidding. David Henry played cello. Beautifully as always. It's been great to reconnect with David. He played quite a bit on my early records. He joins me again on my forthcoming album, Hustle Up Starlings. He joined me on "Steer Your Way". His playing is timeless. Almost classical, almost Irish when he plays with me. I love that. My greatest homeslice, Brian Bequette, held the fort down with his bass on "Steer Your Way". And Hans DeKline gave immeasurable assistance in the sonic department via his engineering skills.

Above all I will miss Leonard Cohen and his new transmissions of real hope and longing. But I am so grateful, as I know many of us are, for all he offered, so generously. Forever. "Always."
Marie
Speaking Cohen
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

TheFinger

Re: Like a Drunk in a Midnight Choir - Record Store Day 2017 vinyl

Post by TheFinger »

Hi, this is Rand Foster, and I put this project together. I'm very happy that it's being well received, especially here on this forum. I emailed with Jarkko earlier, and planned to share more here before now, but then RSD put together the Grammy event, and we decided it might be better not to scoop our own press conference... then Record Store Day kind of took over my life (I'm a record store owner, and RSD takes a lot of time and planning, so I've been head down until today). Sorry for that, but I wanted to throw it out here that I would be happy to chat about the project, if anyone has any questions.
s6270

Post by s6270 »

Hi Rand, First of all, thanks so much for putting this project together. It's all-around magnificent! The presentation is beautiful, the cause behind it is noteworthy, and the music is sublime. Very cool that it was pressed at Furnace near my hometown! I played a few cuts from it on my radio show earlier today and can say it sounds beautiful, too. Any chance you could provide some information on when and where these pieces were recorded? I know the Hansard "Who by Fire" was from Europe 2016, but do you have further details about which date of the tour? Also, who else did you approach to contribute? Anything that didn't make the final cut?

Once again, thank so much for putting this product together. I'm so pleased to support the cause and local indies, too. All the best!
John K.

Post by John K. »

Hi Rand, I have a question for you. How did you get Terry Reid for this project? I've seen that he's out playing again but he must be a hard guy to pin down.

Otherwise, thank you VERY much for doing this tribute to our man!
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
birminghamfan

Post by birminghamfan »

Hi , does anyone know if this is available to order from record shops in the UK ? My local independent didn't think he could order it , and suggested mail order from the US , which makes me a little anxious given the ' vulnerability ' of 12 inch vinyl discs and the destructive abilities of loaders at airports. Has anyone else succeeded in getting a copy here on the right hand end of the Atlantic ?

Cheers , Steve
TheFinger

Post by TheFinger »

Sorry, I've been away from the forum for a while. Thanks for the kind words about the project, doing it was a crazy dream come true. I'll do my best to answer the questions posed, hopefully doing this late isn't a mistake.

Regarding where the tracks were recorded, several of them were recorded at the project's home studio, Big Ego, in Long Beach Ca. Big Ego is owned by Chris Schlarb, co-producer on the project. Beyond the local tracks, the below is the best info I have:

Glen Hansard - All I know is that they recorded it during soundcheck somewhere in Europe. There's a weird restriction on naming venues, because they want to be paid, so this one came in without a location or date. I can tell you it was something like 32 tracks, and it was all done from the same take, including Javier Mas' intro.
Terry Reid - Big Ego Studio
Avi Buffalo - Big Ego Studio
Joseph Arthur - Recorded in Joe's home studio, Rebel Country, in NY
Cherry Glazerr - Big Ego Studio
Matt Costa - Recorded in Matt's home studio, Colored Glass Studio, in CA.
Korey Dane - Recorded in a studio with no name, in CA
Leann Skoda - Big Ego Studio
Matthew Ryan - Recorded in Matt's home studio, in PA
Jay Buchanan - Recorded at Petti Sound in Nashville, in one take.
Donovan - Donovan got permission from the venue, but we didn't get it early enough to include it in the liner notes. It was recorded at Musikhusit, Aarhus Denmark, on 12 December, 2016

This project came together very quickly, I got the okay to do it early in November, with a deadline for mastering of late December. My day job is running a record store, so trying to do this at the holidays, with managers and others taking holiday breaks for Thanksgiving and Christmas, it's a bit of a marvel that it happened. Fortunately, most of the artists I reached out to were enthusiastic about being part of it, and the few who couldn't do it, for the most part had scheduling conflicts. A few never got back to me, but it's impossible to tell if the requests ever even made it to them, or if they're still sitting on an assistant's desk somewhere. All in all, I am very happy with how it came out, and I feel that everyone who was involved brought their absolute A game. Several of the artists filmed videos, wrote essays, and participated in press/media events for the release, which is somewhat unheard of for a compilation. Glen Hansard recorded 4 songs (though I only received the one we used, several others can be found being tried out live, at various dates on the same Europeon tour, with a quick youtube search). Matt Costa did two songs, though the one we didn't use was only a musical arrangement, done in the hopes that someone else would lay a vocal on it. We ended up not needing it. When I say it was a labor of love, it absolutely felt like these artists needed to be part of it, and I think that really comes through in the final result.

Regarding Terry Reid, I was fortunate enough to book a festival date with Terry last summer, and we hung out a bit, then he played an in-store at my shop, and since then we've stayed in touch. He is amazing and sweet, and full of incredible stories. Recording with him was a joy; watching him and Stephen Hodges work out the arrangement, get a take that felt good, then watching them listening to the playback and giving each other a high-five, was pretty magical. In addition to this Leonard Cohen project, Terry recorded a few other tracks at Big Ego for Psychic Temple IV, which comes out July 16th on Joyful Noise Records. Psychic Temple is Chris Schlarb's main musical project, when he's not running Big Ego, and it's an amazing album that's well worth a listen.

Hopefully I answered everything you were wondering about, thanks for caring enough to listen and taking a chance on some artists that may not have had a home in your collection. I hope you enjoyed it. If anyone is still looking for a copy, we still have a handful at my shop, just let me know and we'll figure something out.
Mary72

Post by Mary72 »

Any chances of having this on a cd format?
I love Glen doing Leonard, I know he is preparing something...
Many thanks Finger

M
TheFinger

Post by TheFinger »

There aren't any plans for a CD now, at least not that I'm aware of, but I would love to see it happen some day. There is a download card in the album, if that's any help.

Return to “News”